Wednesday, June 20, 2012

1601 Granville Street - Horlocker House

1601 Granville Street, March 2010

Lots 49 and 50 in Smith's Woodland Park Addition

John W. Horlocker was born July 11, 1856 in Ohio, son of Rev. Daniel and Elizabeth Williams Horlocker. He married Lenna M. Ackerson in Kansas City, Kansas on September 14, 1892.
Lenna was born about 1870 in Wyandotte County, Kansas, daughter of George M. and Josephine Pearce Ackerson.

Rev. Daniel Horlocker was associated with the Third Avenue M.E. Church.

In 1905 the Horlockers lived at 1040 Franklin Avenue. The 1906 City Directory shows them at 1601 Granville Street.

In the 1884 and 1890 City Directories, John is listed as a carpenter living on Summit Street. The 1900 Census lists the Horlockers at 1293 Wesley Avenue.

The 1910 Census lists John and Lenna with two nieces, Regina (1891) and Josephine (1894) Williams and a servant, Ada King (age 25). John's occupation is building contractor.

In 1920, John and Lenna were living at 2591 Summit Street. In the 1930 Census, John and Lenna were living with John's older sister Lillian at 1251 Summit Street, a house he lived in in 1890.

The 1945 City Directory shows the widow Lenna living at 143 Sherman Avenue, Apartment 2.

John died October 18, 1941. Lenna died January 1, 1955. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.
.
On July 9, 1917, the Horlockers exchanged property with Dwight and Evalena M. Howard who lived at 1424 Madison Avenue.

Dwight (Vernon) Howard was born July 10, 1883 in Westerville, son of Mitchell C. and Kate E. Thompson Howard. He married Evalena A. McCune in Franklin County on January 18, 1913. Evalena was born May 22, 1891 in Columbus, daughter of Jonas M. and Evalena Gares McCune. They had three children, Natalie (1914), Dwight Jr,. (1916) and Sylvia A. (1922).
Dwight Howard, Jr.

Evalena's father, Jonas M. McCune lived at 120 Parkwood Avenue. Her brother Jonas F. McCune married Vivian Peavey Dewey who lived at 1631 Granville Street and later at 1599 Clifton Avenue. Jonas F. McCune committed suicide in 1932 and the address given at the time of his death was 105 Woodland Avenue.

Dwight was a general practice attorney. His son, Dwight, Jr. graduated from Ohio State in 1939 with a degree in industrial engineering. He worked for Owens-Corning Glass Company.

The Howards sold their home at 1601 Granville Street and moved to 1581 Hawthorne Park in 1924.

Dwight died in Columbus on December 23, 1942 at his home at 1581 Hawthorne Park. He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On October 2, 1924 the Howards sold the house to the Froshs.


Dr. Charles Fryer Frosh
circa 1930

Dr. Charles Fryer Frosh was born July 12, 1883 in Zanesville, son of Bennett and Kate Fryer Frosh. He married Eleanor L. Buckley. Eleanor was born February 19, 1885. They had a daughter, Kathryne A. (October 14, 1915-April 12, 1949).

Frosh was a physician. He graduated from Ohio Medical College in 1909. He was on the staff of Mount Carmel Hospital.

Dr. Frosh died at home on March 1, 1947. Eleanor died in Columbus on November 10, 1968. The Froshs are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Eleanor sold the house on October 17, 1951 to Elmer W. Johnson.

Elmer W. Johnson was born about 1904, son of Lindsay and Hattie Johnson.

In the 1930 Census, Elmer is living at 166 Lexington Avenue with his widowed mother. Elmer is working as a "moving picture operator" at the Empress Theater.

The Empress Theater was built by James Albert "Al" Jackson, a successful feed merchant. He and his business partner, James "Ernie" Williams, opened the Empress Theater at 768 East Long Street in 1920. According to oral history, Jackson was angered by the purchase of the nearby Vernon Theatre by a white-owned theatre chain with a “No Admission to Negroes” policy, and decided to build a grand and beautiful theatre especially for Columbus’ African-American population. Jackson said that he'd fix them, "I'll build a theater better than any one in the United States."

Jackson and Williams built, owned, and operated the Empress Theatre, the Empress Soda Grill, and the Crystal Slipper Ballroom.



Empress Theater, on Long near Garfield

A paragraph in the March 6, 1920, edition of the Cleveland Advocate briefly describes the opening of the Empress Theater in Columbus:

New Movie Theater Opened in Ohio's Capital (March 4) - The Empress theater, the new $50,000 movie theater just completed in East Long street, and owned and conducted by two Colored men, J. Ernest Williams and J. Albert Jackson, opened its doors to the public today, a tremendous rush of people clamoring for admission. It is a beautiful playhouse, with all modern accessories. A feature of the opening was the attendance of the L'Llegro Club in a body, followed by a club banquet at Brassfield's cafe.

The Robert Morton Theatre Organ was built in 1928 and installed in the Empress Theatre in Columbus, Ohio. It is a smaller version of the Ohio Theatre’s Mighty Morton Theatre Organ. David Billmire acquired the organ in 1990 and restored it over the next eight years. The original twelve ranks of pipes have been expanded to seventeen, and the entire instrument has been professionally voiced and finished.  It has over 1,200 pipes, and features six sets of tuned percussion, including a vibraphone, chimes, bells, whistles, and a complete set of drums.

Elmer must have maintained the house as a rental property. In 1963, Ruth O. Hall was a tenant.

East Side Man Shot in Head By 2 Robbers, Columbus Dispatch, June 15, 1963, "Sherman Phillips, 45, of 1618 Clifton Ave., was shot in the head by two armed robbers, a man and a woman, late Friday night at a parking lot at 747 E. Long St., police reported.

"Phillips is listed in critical condition Saturday at St. Anthony Hospital after undergoing surgery. The bullet entered his head through his left cheek, police said.

"Witnesses told police they saw the man and woman shoot Phillips and remove "objects" from his pocket. Police have not determined whether Phillips was carrying a billfold, but said $1.02 was found in his pocket at the hospital."

Jury Indicts Man, Woman On First Degree Murder, Columbus Dispatch, August 20, 1963, "The grand jury indicted Ruth O. Hall, 20 of 1601 Granville St., and Robert L. Piper, 27, of 1453 Eastwood Ave., Monday on charges of first degree murder while committing armed robbery.

"They were arrested in the $65 robbery and shooting death June 14 of Sherman Phillips, 45, of 1618 Clifton Ave., in a parking lot at 747 E. Long St.

"Police said the woman enticed Phillips to the lot where he was attacked and shot by Piper. The victim was shot in the face, police said."

Sherman W. Phillips, Jr. was born in 1918 in Virginia, son of Sherman W., Sr and LaVancha M. Phillips. He grew up in Mechanicsburg, Ohio. In 1940 he was a boarder at 1388 Clifton Avenue and he was working as a clerk in a grocery store.

Elmer Johnson died in Columbus on July 7, 1978.

The property was transferred to Sandy A. Wilson on February 23, 1983.

Sandy Wilson died on July 12, 1987 and the property went to her heir, Vanessa Simon (Joseph Earl Curry). She sold the property on November 28, 1988 to Carl and Stacy Woodford, Sr.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

48 Parkwood Avenue - Foley House

48 Parkwood Avenue
48, 49, Part 46, 47 Calender and Rockwell's Subdivision of Lots 15-18 in Keys Barrs North Addition to Eastwood

Jeremiah "Jerry" Foley was born February 17, 1860 in Ohio, son of Irish born parents, Thomas and Ellen Moore Foley. He married Mary Ann Gallahan on December 1, 1882 in Clark County, Ohio. Mary was born about April 1865 in Indiana, daughter of Patrick and Mary Thornton Gallahan. They had five children, Anna Regina (1884-1971), Thomas (1885), Mamie (1886-1947), Ella G. (1888) and Harry Henry (1897-1969). Anna married William H. Andrews, Jr. and lived at 1618 Granville Street.

Jeremiah Foley was a contractor. In 1901 the Foleys lived at 2325 East Broad Street. The Parkwood house was built between 1904 and 1905. In 1910 they lived Mary's mother, Mary, aged 80 lived with them and they had one live-in servant, Harriet Carly, age 19, born in Ohio.

Jeremiah died of cirrhosis of the liver at 48 Parkwood Avenue on December 21, 1914. He is buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery.

On January 11, 1923, Jeremiah's heirs, Mary A. Foley, Mamie Foley, Ella Foley, and Anna E. Krumm sold the Parkwood house to Townsend D. and Lela Van Camp.

1715 Franklin Park South
The cover of the September 30, 1923 Ohio State Journal Magazine features an engraving of the newly completed Foley House built for Mary Foley at 1715 Franklin Park South.

Mary Foley died in Columbus on October 18, 1941.

On January 2, 1923, Townsend and Lela VanCamp purchased the Parkwood house.

Townsend Dickerson VanCamp was born October 26, 1872 in Newtonsville, Ohio, son of Thomas and Sarah Slone VanCamp. Townsend married Florence Brunk on March 7, 1895. Florence was born in January 1874. They had two sons, Raymond Edward (August 1897), and Stanley (March 14, 1901).


In the 1900 Census the Van Camps are living in Wayne Township (South of Stonelick Creek), Clermont County. Townsend's occupation is "huckster".

On July 18, 1908, Townsend married Anna R. Carlton in Clermont County. Anna was born September 7, 1888 in Chasetown, Ohio, daughter of James and Rosa Gilliam Carlton. They had a son, Clarence Townsend (July 15, 1909-January 31, 1925).

Townsend is listed in the 1915 City Directory Cincinnati, living in Norwood. His occupation is building contractor.

Before January 1923, Townsend married divorcee, Lela Gordon.

His marriage to Lela didn't last long. Lela had divorced her first husband, Joseph E. Gordon. Lela and Joseph E. had a son, Joseph T. Their son married a woman named Hazel M. Lela's second marriage to Townsend lasted less than a year before Lela returned to her first husband, who she subsequently remarried.

On May 1, 1924, Townsend married Jane Hamilton in Franklin County. Jane was the widow of Arthur Powell. Jane was born August 26, 1885 in Batavia, Ohio, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Appel Hamilton.

The 1924 Columbus City Directory lists T.D. VanCamp Company, asphalt contractors, with offices at 515 Hartman Building. His son Raymond is living with him and also working as a road contractor.

On November 15, 1924 deed to the house changed to Townsend D. and Jane Hamilton VanCamp.

The 1925 City Directory lists Townsend and Jane. Imogene, Cecil and George Hamilton live at the house. Raymond has married and is living at 1220 East Livingston Avenue.

Townsend died April 30, 1950.

On June 21, 1943, William E. and Charlotte May Jones bought the house.

William E. Jones was born July 25, 1903 in New Albany, Indiana, son of W.S. and Louise Searles Jones. He married Charlotte May "Lottie" Kraner in Franklin County on November 29, 1923. Lottie was born September 6, 1905 in Columbus, daughter of William R. and Josephine Bresnehan Kraner. They had four children, William C. (1924), Robert L. (1925), Richard W. (1927), and Charlotte M. (1929).


The 1925 City Directory shows the Jones living at 503 South Fourth Street. William is a "peddler". The 1927 Directory shows the Jones living at 495 South Lazelle Street and William is working in "bumpers" and in 1928 his trade is automotive supplies.


174 South Eureka Avenue
In 1930 the Jones lived at 174 South Eureka Avenue. William's occupation was huckster. William's widowed grandmother, Rebecca S. Kraner was living with them. In 1938 they were still at South Eureka, but William's occupation was now real estate.


The 1954 City Directory shows the Jones at 3170 Wicklow Road. William is President of the Ohio Nomis (Norris) Corporation.

Charlotte died in Columbus on January 14, 1989. She had been living in Grove City.

On February 3, 1945, Dallas H. and Marie Dice bought the house.

Dallas H. Dice was born in Indiana on October 30, 1900, son of Frederick E. and Lillian Hodson Dice. He married Bernice L. Anderson in Tippecanoe County, Indiana on August 12, 1922. Bernice was born about 1906 in Indiana. They had a daughter, Phyllis (1926).

In the early to mid 1920s Dallas lived in Anderson, Indiana and worked at the Dice Machine Company, owned by his father. In 1930 they Dices live in Indianapolis and Dallas is a chemist for a medicine company.

Dallas came to Columbus from Indianapolis, Indiana in about 1936.

A bottle of children's cough tablets manufactured
by The Warren-Teed Products Company of Columbus.
Each tablet contains 1-20 gr. Extract of Cannabis.
Dallas is listed in the 1938 City Director as a chemist for Warren-Teed Product Company. He and Marie live at 2688 Fisher Road, at that time a rural route.

In the 1945 City Directory, Dallas is listed at 602 East Town Street, Apartment 13, and his occupation is real estate. In 1946 they are living at 2646 West Broad Street.

Dallas died in San Antonio, Texas on May 26, 1949. He and Marie had been living in Bexar, Texas. He is buried in Russiaville Cemetery in Howard County, Indiana.

On August 15, 1946 the Weavers bought the house. Dewey, Susie and their daughter Vera.

Dewey A. Weaver was born September 11, 1896 in (Hocking County) Ohio, son of William and Lulu Carroll Weaver. Dewey had no middle name, only the middle initial A. His first wife Ida Stumpf, died soon after they married at age 19 of "acute nephritis", and his second marriage was to Susie M. Good about 1921. Susie was born January 7, 1899 in (Hocking County) Ohio, daughter of Thomas H. and Nettie M. Good. They had a daughter, Vera Alice (September 18, 1921-November 13, 2000).

In 1930 the Weavers lived at 1459 Briarwood Avenue in Columbus. Dewey's 20 year old sister Carrie was living with them. Dewey was an electric company fireman, Susie was a hardware store cashier and Carrie was a bookkeeper.

In 1942 the Weavers lived at 1359 Highland Street. Dewey was working for the Columbus and Southern Electric Company at 104 West Hickory Street.

Dewey died in Licking County on September 20, 1981. Susie died in Columbus in April 1968.


In the 1951 City Directory, Pearl E. Brown is listed at the 48 Parkwood address.

On May 28, 1954, the Weavers sold the house to the current owners, The Ohio Baptist General Association.

Now known as the Ohio Baptist General Convention, the organization was started in 1896 as the Ohio Baptist State Convention (Colored). The house at 48 Parkwood Avenue served as their headquarters until 1996.

Friday, June 15, 2012

1556 Granville Street - Renz House

1556 Granville Street
Lot 54, Smith's Woodland Park Addition

John Jacob Renz, Jr. was born February 22, 1871 in Columbus, son of John Jacob and Catherine Kaiser Renz. He married Flora Pauline Dorbert on September 9, 1903 in Franklin County. Flora was born November 29, 1873 in Columbus, daughter of George and Clara Guthke Dorbert. They had a daughter, Pauline H. (1909)

The Renz first appear on Granville Street in the 1907 City Directory. In 1906 and earlier John's occupation is listed as molder, this was also his father's occupation. John worked as a molder until 1911 when he got a job as a sanitary inspector. In 1913 his job is listed as Sergeant Sanitary Police.

The 1916 City Directory lists John as Chief of Sanitation and Tenement Inspection, City Board of Health. The Renz' home address is 1362 Granville Street, on the west side of Taylor Avenue. In the 1920 Census, the Renz are renting 943 East Main Street and John is Chief Sanitary Officer of the Health Department.

In the 1930 Census, the Renz live in Clintonville at 165 Tibet Road. John is a Deputy Clerk of the Franklin County Court.

The Dillies bought the house from the Renz on March 17, 1919.


John Edson Dillie was born April 12, 1878 in Brookville, Montgomery County, the son of Zachariah T.  and Tamson Hartman Dillie. He married Martha A. Barber in Clark County on November 14, 1901. Martha was born on January 30, 1881 in Ross County, daughter of Joseph D. and Mary A. Drummond  Barber.

John Edson Dillie was a motorman on the Ohio Electric Railroad in 1910 and at least through 1918. The Ohio Electric Railway Company was an interurban formed in 1907 with the consolidation of 14 smaller interurban railways. It was one of Ohio's largest interurban systems. It connected Toledo, Lima, Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati, providing passenger service to small towns in western Ohio. The railroad went bankrupt in 1927.


Nephew Kenneth Randall lived with them in 1920 and 1930. Also in 1930, nephew Joseph W. Case, and nieces Mabel and Wilma.

The 1949 Columbus City Directory lists John and Martha at Dillie's Delicatessen, 4 Central Market and they are living at 34 North Remington Road. The Central Market House was on Fourth and ran between Town and Rich Streets.

In the 1920s and 30s there were some transfers of the property, but they seem to all be between relatives of John's. The property always returned to John Dillie in these exchanges.

John died in Florida on August 30, 1979 at age 102.

On November 13, 1943, the widowed Alpha R. Dotson bought the house from the Dillies.

Byron Harry Dotson was born March 11, 1900 in Canal Winchester, Ohio, son of Charles E. and Emma May Waltermire Dotson. He married Alpha Ruth Soncrant in Detroit, Michigan on September 8, 1919. Alpha was born February 24, 1893 in Fremont, Ohio, daughter of Jacob Christ and Christina Margarete Myers Soncrant. They had five children: Harry L. (1921), Lois C. (1923), Audrey R. (1925), Edward B. (1927) and Wildra R. (1928).

I'll mention here that the Soncrant name is also found spelled Sanscrainte in some records and that Alpha's father, Jacob Christ went by his first and middle names alternately.

In 1920 the Dotsons lived in Bloom Township, Fairfield County. Byron was a farm laborer. The Dotsons lived in Groveport in 1930 and Byron was a stationery engineer in an electric power plant. He died October 16, 1941 of complications following a heart attack. His death certificate lists his occupation as fireman with the Columbus & Southern Electric Company. The Dotsons lived on Blacklick Street in Groveport at the time. Byron is buried in Lithopolis, Ohio.

Alpha died in Greenfield, Ohio on December 4, 1975.

Just a few months later, on July 26, 1944, Alpha sold the house to her brother, John C. Soncrant.

John C. Soncrant was born May (or October) 25, 1904 in Port Clinton, Ohio, son of Jacob Christ Soncrant and Christina Myers. He married Mary Sigler, a divorcee, on October 6, 1927 in Franklin County. Mary's first husband's name was Guy Norris. Mary was born in 1904 in Winfield, West Virginia, daughter of Selby and Eliza Lanham Sigler.

In the 1930 Census, John is listed as an Army recruit at Fort Hayes. John C. Soncrant is listed in the 1945 City Directory at 1556, his occupation is listed as U.S. Army. John was a MSgt in the US Air Force and served in WWII.

He later married Cloneil Clara Upton. "Clo" was born November 20, 1919 in Mississippi. She died October 3, 2003 in Houston, Texas. Her obituary reports that "she was an avid gardener, loved her family and was a great fan of George Strait. She was preceded in death by her parents, Clarence and Maxie Upton and husband, John Soncrant. She is survived by her sons, John Soncrant (December 1945) and wife, Kathleen of Spring, TX, Charles R. Soncrant (January 4, 1928-January 6, 2004) and wife, Lois of Issaquah, Washington; brother, Fred Upton of Jackson, Mississippi; 7 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren."

John died of cancer on May 24, 1959 in Bexar, Texas. His death certificate states that his regular address was 615 Shadywood Lane in San Antonio. He had been at the Air Force Hospital at Lackland Air Force Base for three months prior to his death. He is buried at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.

On June 5, 1950, Edward D. and Viola E. Clement bought the house from John and Cloneil C. Soncrant of Jackson, Mississippi.

Rev. Edward D. Clement was born March 8, 1910 in Ohio, son of Elizabeth Clement. He married Veola E. Hopewell before 1932. Viola was born in 1911 in Virginia, probably the daughter of William and Sarah Hopewell. They had a daughter Martha who died of pneumonia at 11 days old, born on April 14, 1933. Martha is buried at Evergreen Cemetery. They had another daughter, Ruth Marie (September 12, 1934-December 10, 1998).

In the 1932 City Directory the Cements are listed at 239 North 21st Street. Edward is a laborer. In 1938 they lived at 289-1/2 North Ohio Avenue and Edward is listed as janitor at the Medical Science Building Company. From 1941 to 1950 the Clements lived at 1330 Clifton Avenue, Apartment J. Edward was working as a janitor.

Viola died on June 7, 1960. the property was divided equally between Edward and her daughter, Ruth C. Jenkins.

Edward D. Clement, Jr.
Edward later married Emeliana N. Dionisio, a Filiipina born February 8, 1935. They had a son, Edward D. Clement, Jr. (February 8, 1974-June 28, 2009) and two daughters, Lolita and Carmelita.

Edward died in Columbus on October 24, 1979. His interest in the property (then an undivided 3/4) passed to his second wife, Emeliana N. Clement. On October 21, 1982, Emeliana bought Ruth's then 1/4 interest in the property.

The Columbus Dispatch of March 27, 1996 reported, "Two men were shot yesterday afternoon at 1556 Granville St., on the Near East Side during an argument with a third man....Alvin Wilson, 21, suffered a gunshot wound in the abdomen and was in fair condition last night at Grant Medical Center...Eric Robinson, 27, was in serious condition at Grant with gunshot wounds in the chest and arm...Police said Wilson and Robinson were arguing with a man when he pulled out a gun and shot them...The suspect then fled. No arrests have been made."

Emeliana died in Columbus on March 31, 2004.

Edward E. Phillips purchased the property on February 26, 2002.

1589 Richmond Avenue - Hopkins House

1589 Richmond Avenue
Lot 26, Levi R. and Hugh E. Smith's Woodland Park Addition

This house was probably built about 1904.

Oliver Perry Hopkins was born about September 1868 in Ohio, son of Owen Johnson and Julia Sophronia Hopkins. He married Mary A. Dunlap in Chicago, Illinois on June 19, 1895. Mary was born November 15, 1874 in California, daughter of Elijah Kinne and Elizabeth (Parrish) Dunlap. Mary and Oliver had one daughter, Helen Adelaide (December 5, 1901).

In 1900, the couple was living in Cleveland. Oliver was a commercial traveler. Mary's name is listed as "Jennie" in that Census. In 1904 the family was living at 269 Miller Avenue, but the 1905 Directory shows their address as 1589. In 1910, Oliver was manager of The Keasbey and Mattison Company, a manufacturer of asbestos and related building products. The Hopkins had a servant, Bessie E. King, an 18-year-old born in West Virginia.

By the mid-teens, Oliver was back to being a commercial traveler, selling pharmaceutials. After his wife's death in 1929, he was living in the house alone. The house was then valued at $12,000. Oliver was now the sales manager for the drug company.

Mary died at the house on June 28, 1929 of uremic poisoning from a double mastoid infection. She is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery. On September 29, 1929 the property was transferred to Oliver. Oliver died January 7, 1940. On November 4, 1940 the property was transferred to their daughter, Helen H. Cullins. At the time Helen was living at 3225 Via La Selva, Palis Verdes Estate, California.

The Hopkins' marriage license

Thomas Oliver Cullins, Jr.
On August 24, 1942 Helen and her husband, Thomas Oliver Cullins, Jr. were living in Annapolis, Maryland. They sold the house to Frank C. and Sarah E. Mitton.

Frank Cusic Mitton was born September 25, 1881 in Grand Prairie, Marion County, son of William and Dora (Emmons) Mitton. He married Sarah Elizabeth. Sarah was born about 1889 in West Virginia. They had two daughters: Dorothy (1902) and Elizabeth (1910).

In 1918 Frank was a yard engineer for the Pennsylvania railroad. In 1920 his occupation was interior decorator.

Frank died in Delaware, Ohio on June 30, 1951. Sarah died in June 1978.

On March 27, 1946 Paul A. and Mabel E. Byers bought the house.

The Byers sold it on April 30, 1948 to Clara Snell Wolfe of 1841 Roxbury Road.

Clara Snell Wolfe, circa 1920
Albert Benedict Wolfe was born August 23, 1876 in Arlington, Illinois. He married Clara Snell on September 6, 1906. Clara was born May 9, 1874 in Milledgeville, Illinois, daughter of Francis Adam and Ellen Rosamond Campbell Snell.

Clara was an author and educator and held positions as principal, teacher and lecturer. She was active in women's rights and suffrage issues in Ohio. She organized the Woman Suffrage Party in Cleveland and was a speaker and organizer in the Ohio suffrage campaign of 1912.

Albert was Harvard educated and recieved his Ph.D. in 1905. From the Ohio State University website, "His first book, published in 1906, reflects his sociological interests, and perhaps personal experience: The Lodging House Problem in Boston. He was on the faculty of Oberlin College teaching economics and sociology from 1907-1914, at the University of Texas from 1914-1923, and then at The Ohio State University from 1923-1946. During the summer months he taught economics and/or sociology for a number of universities around the country. In 1956 he received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Ohio State. After retiring from OSU Wolfe continued to live in Columbus, Ohio until his death in 1967.

Attacked for his liberal thinking in 1920 while in Texas, Wolfe wrote a book on radicalism: Conservatism, Radicalism, and Scientific Method: an Essay on Social Attitudes(1923). Documents related to the charges against Wolfe may be found in the Lauch McLaurin papers in The University of Texas at Austin Tarlton Law Library. Judge McLaurin was a Professor of Law at the university.

Later, in 1935, Wolfe and two colleagues representing the AAUP visited the University of Pittsburgh to investigate the dismissal of the historian, Ralph E. Turner. In their report they found that Chancellor John Gabbert Bowman had forced the resignations of 53 professors based upon their liberal attitudes (reported in Time magazine, Mar. 4, 1935)."

Albert and Clara both died in Upper Arlington, Albert on June 3, 1967 and Clara on June 12, 1970. They are buried in the 1946 Addition to Union Cemetery.

On August 22, 1952 the property was first transferred to James W. and Telitha E. Williams of 679 N. Nelson Road. Then on the same day, there was a transfer from them to John R. and Lois Dixon, assuming a mortgage of $6,300.

Joseph A. Sugar, Sr. bought the house from the Dixons on January 17, 1958.

Joseph Anthony Sugar, Sr. was born March 23, 1900 in Ohio, son of Italian parents, Augustinio and Augustina Palumbo Sugar. He married Alice L.

The Sugar family were all involved in the fruit business. In 1918 Joseph was a clerk at a construction company, but in 1930 he was a fruit salesman.

Joseph's brother James owned the neighboring house at 1585 Richmond Avenue.

Joseph died in Upper Arlington on July 1, 1988.

On November 14, 1964, Leroy W. Montgomery bought the house.

On March 17, 1967, the bank petitioned for sheriff's sale. They had received judgement of $13,500 with interest from September 1, 1966. He house was transferred to the Secretary of HUD for $7,000 in September 1967.

On April 16, 1968 John H., Sr. and Thelma L. Davenport bought the house.

John H. Davenport, Sr. was born December 13, 1932. He married Thelma L., born February 20, 1933.

Thelma died in Columbus on September 5, 2008.



Thursday, June 14, 2012

1545 Richmond Avenue - Stewart House

1545 Richmond Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
Lot 18, Smith's Woodland Park Addition.

Andrew Gray Stewart was born December 10, 1860 in Ohio, son of James and Mary Gray Stewart. He married Louise A. Yans on February 10, 1887 in Guernsey County. Louise (or Louisa) was born May 18, 1862 in Ohio, daughter of George and Louisa Yans. They had a son, Raymond G. (1895).

Andrew is listed as a druggist at 302 East Town Street in the 1896 City Directory and the Stewarts live at 78 West Avenue. Andrew's father was also a druggist. The Pharmaceutical Era journal of September 15, 1898 reports that Stewart sold his store on the corner of Sixth and East Town Street to Dr. F.J. Collison.

The Stewarts first appear on Richmond Avenue in the 1907 City Directory. In 1906 they lived at 175 North Ninth Street.

In 1920, their son Raymond was a law stenographer for the railroad. In 1930 he still lived with his mother at 1545 and was a clerk at City Hall. Raymond died June 10, 1973.

A frame garage was built on the property about 1932.

Andrew died November 7, 1920. Louise died October 9, 1951. The Stewarts are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Walter F. Burch, Sr.
On September 19, 1950 Walter F. and Stella B. Burch purchased the house. I noticed that William Toler of 280 Parkwood Avenue was the attorney for the Burches on their real estate purchase in 1950.

Walter Franklin Burch was born April 9, 1922 in Sumner, Georgia, son of Ludell Burch. He married Stella Rippey. Stella was probably born September 30, 1930. They had a son, Walter, Jr. "Butch" (September 26, 1954-February 23, 2001).

Walter's obituary states that from Georgia, "...he moved to Detroit, Michigan and from there he entered the United States Army and proudly served his country as "Private W. F. Burch" during WWII. After the war, Walter married the love of his life Stella (Rippey) Burch. They celebrated over 52 years together. In his professional life, he became a butcher by trade and later owned his own grocery store in Columbus for 35 years, "Walt's Market" (at 741) E. Long St. As said by his family; he had the biggest heart and fed many many people...He was known as Uncle Walt and Pa Pa to the community."

In the 1952-1954 City Directories, Walter is listed as a clerk (meat cutter) at the For-Bren Market. In 1956, the Burches are living at 1099 Olmsted Avenue, Apartment 1. Walter is a clerk for Louis C. Ziskind, a pawnbroker at 994 Mt. Vernon Avenue (corner of 18th).

For-Bren Market, 1008 Mt. Vernon Avenue at the corner of Miami,, circa 1960


Walter, Sr. died in Columbus on April 10, 2010, and is buried at Glen Rest Cemetery.

On April 28, 1955 the Burches sold the house to Percy J. and Beulah B. Lemon.

Percy J. Lemon was born May 15, 1909 in (Covington,) Virginia, son of Henry C. and Sallie Lemon. He married Beulah B. Henry. Beulah was born December 31, 1914 in Virginia, daughter of Robert and Florida Henry. They had two children, John (1935) and a daughter born in 1939.

The Lemons lived in Staunton, Virginia in 1940, where Percy was a stone quarry laborer. In 1953, the Lemons are living at the rear of 181 Burt Avenue.

Percy died in Columbus on August 15, 1980; Stella on March 8, 1985.

On May 13, 1983, Garfield L. and Mary C. Woods bought the house from the Lemons

Garfield Louis Woods was born April 11, 1921 in Virginia, son of Robert and Beulah Davis Woods. He  died in Columbus on November 14, 1994.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

1618 Granville Street - William H. Andrews, Jr. House

1618 Granville Street, March 2010
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
Lot 1, Ryland's Woodland Place Addition

John Zettler Krumm purchased the property on July 25, 1905 for the New First National Bank for $1,300. He transferred it to his wife, Anna in 1907.

John Zettler Krumm, Jr. was born August 26, 1870 in Columbus, son of Frederick and Cornelia Zettler Krumm. John married Anna Regina Foley on December 12, 1906 by Rev. Washington Gladden at the First Congregational Church in Columbus. Anna was born about August 19, 1884 in Harrisburg, Ohio, daughter of Jeremiah Foley. Jeremiah Foley was a building contractor and Anna lived at 2325 East Broad Street. About 1904, her father probably built and moved to 48 Parkwood Avenue. John and Anna had two daughters, Phyllis A. (1908) and Betty Z. (1911).

John Zettler Krumm was a bookkeeper and later a stock broker. In 1920, the family lived at 1805 Franklin Park South. John died at home at 31 Jefferson Avenue on April 23, 1946 and is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On May 27, 1909, William H. Andrews, Jr. purchased the property from Anna R. Krumm with an outstanding mortgage of $500 dated March 8, 1909.

The house was built for Andrews and his new bride in late 1909. The house had four bedrooms and was approximately 2,500 square feet.

William Hayward Andrews, Sr. was born in September 1854 in Ohio. William married Irene E. McCormick about 1877. Irene was born about December 1858 in Ohio. They had two children Catherine E. (June 1880) and William H., Jr.

William H. Andrews, Sr. House
1095 North High Street, circa 1889
In 1900 the Andrews lived at 1075 North High Street. Andrews, Sr. was a wholesale shoe and boot manufacturer, Dages, Andrews and Company.The 1910 Census shows the Andrews living at 1618. William H. Andrews, Jr. and his wife, Alice B. as head of household, and William Sr. and Irene are living with them. Father and son were wholesale shoe merchants.

William Hayward Andrews, Jr. was born in Gallipolis, Ohio on September 13, 1884. William married Alice Ball in Cleveland on October 27, 1909. Alice was born in Cleveland about 1885, daughter of Webb O. and Florence I. Young Ball. They had three children, Isabel (1913), Zenas (1916), and Alice Jane (1918).

Boot and Shoe Recorder, trade journal, July 27, 1910

Irene was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

In the 1920 Census the Andrews lived in Cleveland and in 1930 they had moved to suburban Shaker Heights. William Jr. was then president of a shoe company. In 1942 he was working for Republic Steel Company and he and Alice lived in Cleveland Heights.
Irene died in 1942, William, Sr. may have died in 1938.

On May 15, 1915, Irene sold the house to Charlotte R. Piez.

William Piez was born in Newark, New Jersey in May 4, 1878, son of Jacob and Catherine Leibig Piez. William married Charlotte R. Webber in Cleveland on March 10, 1900. Charlotte was born in July 1874 in Chittenango, New York, daughter of Ralph and Marietta Schuyler Webber. They had a son, Karl Anton (November 11, 1902).

In 1900 the newlywed Piez were boarders at a home in Pittsburgh. William was a draftsman and attended Lehigh University.

The Princeton Alumni Weekly of 1916 mentioned a change of address for Robert P. Duncan (Class of 1905) to 1618 Granville Street, who must have been a boarder or renter. Robert was born August 27, 1883 in Columbus, son of T.J. Duncan. He was a Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney in 1915, and by 1920 was a Common Pleas Judge. He married Edna Cole Campbell in Columbus on December 16, 1914. Duncan died April 14, 1967 in Bexley.



The 1920 Census lists Charlotte and Karl at 1618, with a roomer, Helen Sawyer, a 30-year-old Nebraska native and cafeteria manager. Helen Agatha Sawyer was born December 8, 1890, daughter of Herbert B and Lina F. Sawyer. In 1930 she lived at 1550 East Broad Street and was a tea room manager. She died in California in 1981.

In 1920, the missing William Piez is living in Birmingham, Alabama, he had been there as early as 1917. On his WWI Draft Registration Card he listed Charlotte as his nearest relative and gave her address as that of the apartment he was living at. He was Southern Sales Manager for the Concrete Steel Company.

Charlotte is listed in the 1923 Columbus City Directory as a widow. By 1928, she is living in Needham, Massachusetts. William sailed back to the U.S. from Cherbourg, France in September 1929, and at that time his address was a hotel in Chicago. He died of pneumonia on November 3, 1930 at a hotel in Brussels, Belgium while on a business trip for the Link Belt Company. His wife's name and contact information on the death record is Rina Burnham Piez, Chicago, Illinois. Charlotte is listed in the 1931 Boston City Directory as a Christian Science Practitioner.

Mary White Sayre bought the house on December 4, 1923.

Harrison Monell Sayre was born May 21, 1894 in Newark, New Jersey, son of Joesph M. and Ella G. Brown Sayre. Harrison married Mary E. White on October 25, 1921 in Columbus. Mary was born in Columbus on January 1, 1897, daughter of James B. and Maude Hanna White. They had five children: Mary D. (1922), James W. (1926), twins Adelaide B. and Jean H. (1929), and Robert F.

In 1923, Harrison was a salesman for Frederick W. Freeman, a stock and bond broker. The Sayres lived at 990 Oak Street. In 1926, Harrison was President of The Educational News Company, later the American Educational Press, publisher of Weekly Reader which generations of elementary schoolchildren remember.

In a letter to the Editor of the New York Times published on November 4, 1987, Harrison's son, Robert F. Sayre, Professor of English at University of Iowa states, "Your obituary of Eleanor M. Johnson, ''My Weekly Reader Loses Its Founder'' (front page, Oct. 10), contains several fundamental errors.


My Weekly Reader was founded by my father, Harrison Sayre, with support and financial backing from Preston Davis, who was in 1928 the major owner of the American Education Press, then in Columbus, Ohio. Before 1928, the company had been publishing only Current Events and other newspapers for high school students. Harrison Sayre got the idea for a simple newsweekly for elementary-school students while on a sales trip in Indiana. When the teacher who suggested it did not want to become editor, he hired Martha Fulton, a friend of my mother's.


Martha Fulton was a brilliant writer for children and also created the ''Uncle Ben'' column, which became one of the Weekly Reader's most popular features. She began with the first issue of Sept. 21, 1928, writing the lead article about Herbert Hoover and Al Smith, ''two poor boys who made good,'' and remained editor for many years. The real credit for week-to-week direction of the paper through the years of its phenomenal early success probably belongs to her, even though Harrison Sayre was all the while managing editor. It certainly does not belong to Eleanor Johnson, as you imply.


In 1928, as you state, Miss Johnson worked for the school system in York, Pa. She did not become involved with My Weekly Reader until the third issue and then only as editor of tests on the back page. She may have ''conceived the idea'' for the paper in 1927 and discussed it with William Blakey, but her involvement was so slight that in 1930 she was still not a full-time employee when she left York to become assistant superintendent of schools in Lakewood, Ohio.


Moreover, William Blakey was not at that time president of American Education Press. He had only just come to it when the company bought a school publication he had been editing. The head of the American Education Press was Preston Davis, who after the success of the Weekly Reader, made Harrison Sayre the president."

The Sayres moved to Bexley in 1928. Harrison was the first director of The Columbus Foundation when it was founded in 1943. He directed and operated the Foundation from his Bexley home until 1968. He was President of the Ohio Adult Education Association as well as the Charles E. Merrill Company (educational publishers). Harrison died in May 1974 in Columbus.

On October 8, 1928, Montgomery L. Hart took deed to the house. Montgomery L. Hart was manager of The Chisholm-Scott Company, a cannery. In 1928 he lived in Bexley. Hart sold the house three months later, on January 10, 1929 to Russell L. Wirtz.

Russell L. Wirtz, circa 1925
Russell Lowel Wirtz was born December 16, 1899 in Monon, Indiana, son of Henry K. and Ella M. Dickerson Wirtz. Russell married Gertrude C. Cleary in Columbus on October 7, 1916. Gertrude was born November 29, 1892 in Columbus, daughter of James C. and Margaret Cleary. They had a son, James R. (1921).

Russell graduated from Central High School in 1908, then worked for the Toledo & Central Ohio Railroad for three years. In 1911 he established his own contracting firm and erected many Columbus buildings including the Medical Arts Building and the Fort Hayes Hotel. He was President of the Civic Investment Company.

In 1925, the Wirtz lived at 2257 East Broad Street. In 1930, they lived at 343 South Columbia Avenue in Bexley.

Russell died March 6, 1973 in Bexley.

On June 18, 1938, Robert J. Beatty purchased the house with an unspecified balance due on an original mortgage of $8,000 dated October 8, 1928.

Robert James Beatty was born about 1903 in Steubenville, Ohio, son of James Means and Florence Chandler Beatty. Robert married Helen Hartje on August 17, 1934. Helen was born about 1908 in Steubenville. They had three children, two sons and a daughter, Suzanne Cartright (August 17, 1935-September 1, 1936). Suzanne died of asphyxiation at her grandparents' house at 254 Woodland Avenue after getting her head caught in her crib.

In 1930, Robert lived with his parents at 254 Woodland Avenue and was working as an engineer in the family glass factory, Federal Glass. In 1936, the Beattys lived at 218 Parkwood Avenue. In 1941, Robert was Assistant Secretary of Federal.

From news-antique.com, "Federal Glass was established in Columbus, Ohio in 1900 by George and Robert J. Beatty, from the successful Beatty glass manufacturing family. In 1901 they advertised only tumblers, and in 1906 they were listed as manufacturers of bottles and jars... The Beatty Family had been in the glass business since 1845.


The Federal, as it was commonly referred to by people in Columbus, showed it’s wares as early as the January 1905 Glass and Pottery Exhibition in Pittsburgh. By 1914 the Federal Glass catalog included a full range of pressed glass in imitation cut glass patterns and other fashionable designs of that period (see Tom Klopp's article in The Glass Collector for pictures from this catalog) They appear to have made only clear flint glass at this time, no colored glass.


By comparing the Federal Glass catalog with U.S. Glass catalogs and other publications, Klopp concludes that some 75% of the patterns Federal produced during this period were made from molds they had acquired from other manufacturers, especially US Glass. These included "Peacock Feather", "Caledonia", and some from the "Kansas" pattern.


There were other glass manufacturers making some of the same patterns as Federal, both before and after 1914, including Kokomo Glass (which became Jenkins Glass) and the Co-operative Flint Glass Company of Beaver Falls.


In addition to pressed glass tableware, Federal Glass produced a range of glass specifically intended to be used as packaging for grocery items. One of their largest customers was A & P Grocery.


A catalog of Federal Glass packaging items from around 1913 includes salt, pepper and spice shakers, goblets, measuring jugs, and jars shaped like tumblers. Even at this early date, the company had its own mold-making department; and they were still making hand-blown and decorated tumblers.


The scarce Federal Glass
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. mug.
By the 1920s Federal Glass were making full sets of tableware and their patterns from the 20s and 30s are typical Depression Glass sets, collected enthusiastically by many people today...Many of these Depression Glass pieces carry the Federal Glass trademark of an F in a shield. This trademark was claimed in 1932 although it had been used for several years previously...Although Federal was known for it’s glasses and mugs, it also produced a popular line of tableware and ovenware. One of the most collectible mugs is the Martin Luther King Mug (of which) they only produced 250... Their colored dot and flower bowls have become very popular among collectors of kitchenware.




The Federal glass company was no small company and there have been many theories as to why it closed it’s doors in 1979. Some say it had just gotten too big and expanded too much for the market it was supplying. At the time of it’s closing, the company occupied 57 acres on the south side of Columbus, Ohio.

In 1946, the Beattys were living at 282 Woodland Avenue. Robert died April 28, 1951 in Columbus. Helen died in 1980.

Beatty sold the house on October 6, 1943 to Herbert Allen, Jr. and Olive Pearl (Malone) Matthews.

In the 1953 City Directory the Matthews, Herbert and Pearl, are living at 1693 Oakland Park Avenue and Herbert is a conductor on the PRR.

On October 9, 1951, James S. Waters, his wife and two daughters bought the house.

James S. Waters was born in November 1894 in Ohio, son of James E. and Abbie C. Waters. James married Bessie E. Ramsear. Bessie was born January 13, 1897 in North Carolina. They had two daughters, Dorothy Elizabeth (February 3, 1920-September 5, 1998) who married Wesley Bush Cardwell and Clara Martha  (December 2, 1928-September 12, 2000) who married Cornelius Duff.

In 1923, James is working as a hotel porter and they live at 1325 Granville Street. James also worked as a chauffeur. In the 1953 City Directory, James's occupation is porter and in 1957, janitor.

On July 20, 1953, Malcom L. Miller took the deed to the home, but the Waters continued to live there.

302 Parkwood Avenue
The garage was converted into an apartment and is numbered 302 Parkwood Avenue. In the 1960 City Directory, Clara, who was a teacher at Maryland Park School was living there. Dorothy was a teacher at Felton School and is listed in the 1957 City Directory with an apartment at 1731 Richmond Avenue.

Bessie died on June 1, 1966. James died in Columbus on March 9, 1981.

On August 4, 1981 Queen E. Sullivan and her three daughters purchased the property for $19,500 from the estate of James Waters.

The Sullivans lived at 1576 Granville Street and you can read more about them in the blog post on that address.

After a few transfers among the Sullivan sisters, the property was finally transferred to Charlene on August 11, 2009. The property was sold at Sheriff's Sale for delinquent taxes (a process started in 2005 on taxes due of about $1,500) on October 27, 2010 to Heartwood 88, LLC.

On September 16, 2011, William F. Dunbar, Sr. purchased the house in poor condition, boarded up with holes in the roof and began some renovation work in the Spring of 2012.

1618 Granville Street on June 10, 2012, two days before the fire.

Front view (north) during the fire.
On June 12, 2012 the vacant house caught fire and was heavily damaged. The Fire Department has ruled that is was arson and that the house is not salvageable.













Height of the fire, west side of house.





Monday, June 11, 2012

1818 East Long Street

1818 East Long Street
Woodland Park also has a Lustron Home built in 1950. Lustron Homes were made of interlocking porcelain enamel steel panels hung inside and outside on an all-steel frame. These "prefab" homes were manufactured between 1947 and 1950 by the Lustron Corporation of Columbus.

Lustron homes were made in several models and colors, this one is the Westchester Deluxe model in maize yellow with desert tan trim. The original cost of this home would have been around $7,000.

Carl G. Stradlund
The Lustron, designed by Carl G. Stradlund, was intended to be a low-cost, mass produced, prefabricated solution to the post-World War II housing shortage. The homes were advertised as maintenance free, cost approximately $7,000, and were mostly produced for only two years, 1949 and 1950.  Lustron homes were considered to be three times stronger than a traditional wood frame house and were advertised to resist rodents, fire, lightning and rust.

A complete house was shipped from the factory to building site and could be assembled on a cement foundation slab in three to four days. the homes had built-in cabinets and closets, radiant panel heating system, and combination clothes and dishwasher.

The Lustron Corporation built approximately 2,498 Lustron Homes in a former aircraft plant in Columbus before financial pressures from production problems, difficulties with varying building codes, and resistance from traditional builders led to the close of the factory.

The former headquarters for the Lustron Homes Corporation is now a warehouse and main shipping hub for DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse). The facility is located at 4200 East Fifth Avenue, just south of the Port Columbus International Airport.

On November 10, 1947 Helen L. Vogel bought the land for this house from the J.E. McNally Lumber Company. At the time, she and her husband lived at 1096 Bryden Road.

Helen G. Lutrell was born about 1913 in Ohio, daughter of Arthur S. and Grace D. Lutrell. She married Walter Carlyle Vogel. Carlyle was born in Columbus on February 23, 1900, son of Phillip and Alice Katherine Vogel.

In 1938 the Vogels lived at 1085 Franklin Avenue and Carlyle was working as a road construction contractor. Vogel ran a cartage/trucking business in the 1950s, Vogel Cartage, from 1824 East Long Street, located behind the house.

Helen died March 16, 1959. The widowed Carlyle married divorcee Betty Marie (Sturgeon) Mobley. Betty was born on August 31, 1919. Carlyle died July 2, 1981 and the property was tranferred to Betty.

Betty, then living in Delaware County, sold the house to S and M Properties on November 27, 1985. Betty died in Powell on October 18, 2007.

The current owner of the home purchased it in November 1987.







Tuesday, June 5, 2012

1585 Richmond Avenue

1585 Richmond Avenue
Lot 25, Woodland Park Addition
P.B. Cockell purchased lots 23 and 24 from the Smiths on April 17, 1904. There are some interesting conditions in the deed - no business buildings, no building to cost less than $3,000, no building nearer the lot line than 25 feet and no liquors of any kind to be manufactured or sold. I could not find a transfer for lots 25 and 26, though Percy did own those at approximately the same time - he sold them all together in December 1904.

Percy Brook Cockell was born February 3, 1871 in Yorkshire, England , son of Harvey and Emma (Dickinson) Cockell. He never married.

Percy lived with his father and siblings at 200 West 10th Avenue. In the 1904 City Directory Percy is listed as a contractor. His father Harvey is vice president of The Capital City Brick Company. Harvey had established himself as a real estate dealer in 1885.

Harvey Cockell
The Cockells were probably responsible for the building of this house.

Harvey was appointed superintendent of the Columbus Waterworks in 1900. In 1916 he was instrumental in the building of a women's dormitory, South Hall, on the Ohio State University campus, across the street from his own home.

In the 1920 Census, Percy is working as a foreman of a railroad gang and Harvey is listed as a building contractor.

Percy died in Columbus on April 18, 1940. His occupation on his death certificate is listed as "custodian of Masonic Temple". He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.


B.F and W.R. Oglevee and C.L.Scott purchased lots 23, 24, 25 and part of 26 in Smith's Woodland Park Addition on December 15, 1904 (along with a number of other properties that year) from Percy B. Cockell.

Barrick Francis "Frank" Ogilvee was born March 3, 1848 in Ohio, son of William and Susanne (Price) Ogilvee. He married Agnes Haverfield about 1879. Agnes was born in Ohio in April 1852.

The 1900 and 1910 Census lists B.F. as a farmer in Cadiz. He died in Cadiz on December 19, 1927.

On May 30, 1908 the Oglevees and Scotts sold the property to Mabel H. Shepard with an outstanding mortgage of $2,500 payable to Ohio Wesleyan University.

1926 Columbus City Directory
Dr. Charles Jerome Shepard was born in Nelsonville, Ohio on July 11, 1870, son of Dr. William Perley and  Charlotte Emily (Rose) Shepard. He married Mabel Holbrook in Licking County on October 30, 1900.  Mabel was born about 1875 in Shelby, Ohio, daughter of H.J. and Lydia (Bricker) Holbrook. They had two children, Jane (1908) and Joseph H. (1912).

Dr. William P. Shepard
Charles' father William settled in the area of Columbus that became known as Shepard, centered near the current intersection of East Fifth Avenue and Sunbury Road. Dr. William established an institution there first called the Columbus Water Cure and later known as Shepard Sanitarium (from 1902 to 1968 known as McMillen Sanitarium). The sanitarium building burned in early October 1981.

In the 1910 Census the Shepards are living at 1585. At the time of the 1920 Census the Shepards must have just moved from Richmond to 1811 Franklin Park South. By 1930 the Shepards had moved on up to South Columbia Avenue in Bexley.

Dr. Shepard died March 8, 1950 at his home in Bexley. He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On June 28, 1918 the Shepards sold the house to Dr. Abraham M. and Grace H. Kershaw.

Dr. Abraham Malcom Kershaw was born in Adams, Massachusetts on September 5, 1879, son of Scottish immigrants James and Charlotine/Christina (Trumball/Turnball) Kershaw. His wife, Grace was born about 1882 in Massachusetts. The had one daughter, Elizabeth H. "Betty" (1915).

Dr. Kershaw was a dentist. His office in 1942 was at 55 East State Street. He served in the Spanish-American War.

In 1910 the Kershaws were living in Laurelville, Hocking County, Ohio. The 1920 Census shows the Kershaws living at 1585. In 1930 the Kershaws lived at 2281 Bryden Road. Before 1942 they had moved to 1265 East Broad Street.

Dr. Kershaw died at St. Anthony's Hospital in Columbus on January 9, 1953. His home at the time was 109 Franklin Park West.

Ferdinand and Mabel Segna purchased the house from the Kershaws on October 23, 1920 with a mortgage outstanding of $5,000.

Ferdinand C. "Ferd" Segna was born July 14, 1896 in Huron County, Ohio. He married Mabel H., born in Ohio on June 4, 1897.

In the 1920 Census the Segnas are renting 38 East Frambes Avenue and Ferdinand is a retail grocer. The Segnas did not stay in Columbus for long. By 1930 they had moved to Bellevue, Ohio. They lived in Norwalk from at least 1946 to 1960.

Ferdinand died in April 1980 in Bellevue, Huron County, Ohio. Mabel died in Norwalk in November 1981.

On February 21, 1921 Cyrus P. and Etta Luttrell bought the house from the Segnas, the balance on the mortgage they assumed was $4,885.63.

Cyrus Pratt Lutrell was born March 3, 1861 in Ohio, son of John and Hannah (Holmes) Luttrell. He married Martha Rosetta "Etta" Williams in Fayette County on October 12, 1882.

In 1910 the Luttrells were farming in Jasper, Fayette County, Ohio. By October 1927 the Luttrells were living in Lancaster, Ohio at 846 East Mulberry Street. Etta is listed in the Lancaster (Ohio) City Directories of the late 30s and early 40s as a poultry breeder. Cyrus died March 2, 1945; Etta died in 1951 and they are buried at Forest Rose Cemetery in Lancaster.

On June 18, 1921 Nora B. Powell bought the house. Her residence at the time is listed as 1620 Neil Avenue and the deed specifies that she was a widow.

Otto B. Heaton
circa 1939
Nora only held the house for a few months before selling it to real estate broker Wert C. Heaton on September 8, 1921.

Charles Wert Heaton was born July 1888 in Ohio.

A piece in a 1928 issue of Music Trade Review says, "Heaton Buys Brother's Interest - Otto B. Heaton has purchased the interest of his brother, Wert Heaton, in the Heaton Music Store, 33 East Long Street, Columbus, Ohio. Wert Heaton will retire from the music business, and Otto B. Heaton will continue the business with the same personnel as sole owner."

Heaton's Music Store, 33 East Long Street, circa 1929
Henry J. Sauer purchased the house on May 19, 1922 and on the same day transferred it to Carl H. Brooke of 1957 East Main Street.

On September 30, 1924 William P. Reynolds purchased the house.

William Patrick "Will" Reynolds was born in September 1867 in Zanesville, Ohio, son of Thomas W. and Eleanor (Kennedy) Reynolds. He married Emma F. Krouse on January 10, 1893 at St. Nicholas Church in Muskingum County, Ohio . Emma was born in Ohio in February 1870, son of Charles F. and Sarah M. Krouse. They had a daughter, Phyllis M. (December 1893).

In 1900 the Reynolds lived at 1133 Hildreth Avenue. William was a railroad machinist. William's 16-year-old brother, Ralph was living with them and working as an apprentice machinist. In 1920 the Reynolds were living at 1132 Hildreth Avenue and William was still working as a railroad machinist. Their daughter was married to Paul M. Nash about this time.

William died unexpectedly on March 7, 1927 in a workplace accident. He was an inspector for the railroad.  His death certificate states that the cause of death was a broken neck and left thorax crushed at the Pennsylvania Railroad shop. He was buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery.

Phyllis Ann Nash
North High School
circa 1940
By the time of the 1930 Census, The Nashes and Emma occupied the house. Paul was a real estate broker. He and Phyllis had two children, Paul M. Jr. (1922) and Phyllis Ann (1924).

On March 3, 1943 Emma transferred the house to Charles A. and Mary Krouse. Charles was Emma's nephew, son of her older brother Charles F. Krouse.

Charles A. Krouse was born August 2, 1912 in Ohio, son of Charles Francis and Sarah M. Soile Krouse. He married Mary Katherine.

Charles is listed in the 1938 and 1939 Columbus City Directories as a hotel clerk. The Krouse's address at that time is 546 Loretta Avenue.

Charles died March 10, 1982 in Columbus. He had been living in Reynoldsburg.

On September 21, 1943, the house was transferred to Phyllis Ann Nash, Emma's granddaughter. Phyllis is listed in the 1953 Columbus City Directory as a reporter living in an apartment at 1266 East Broad Street.

On August 25, 1950, Phyllis transferred the property (and another she owned) to an attorney and trustee, Richard C. Addison, Jr.

A few weeks later, on September 5, 1950 he sold both of Phyllis' properties to James V. Sugar, who was living at 227 Ardmore Road in Bexley.

James V. Sugar was born in Italy on January 8, 1890, son of Augustinio and Augustina Palumbo Sugar.
He married Tresa F. Zarllango anout 1922. Tresa was born in Wooster, Ohio. They had son who only lived a few days in 1927, another son, Augustine (1924) and daughter, Louise (1928).

The Sugar family were all involved in the fruit business and James was Proprietor of the Central Ohio Fruit Company (incorporated November 20, 1901).

In 1926, the Sugars lived at 1419 East Long Street.

In the 1950s James' brother Joseph owned the neighboring house at 1589 Richmond Avenue.

On April 22, 1953, Louise C. Wilson became the first African American owner of the house.

Louise was born in 1921 in South Carolina. She married Webster Shouwalter Lyman sometime after 1957. Webster was born November 9, 1891 in Springfield, Ohio, son of James and Mary A. (Looney) Lyman.

Louise was a schoolteacher. In 1953, Louise's address was 386 N. Garfield Ave.

In 1930, Webster Lyman lived at 1673 Harvard Avenue with his wife Madie A., son Webster, Jr. (1923) and daughter Catherine A (1924).

Webster Lyman was a lawyer. In 1942 he had an office at 825 N. Long Street.

Webster and Louise both died in in Columbus. Webster on May 15, 1966, and Louise on October 8, 1986.

Monday, June 4, 2012

1614 Richmond Avenue - Hamilton House

1614 Richmond Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
Lot 2-3-4 A.R. Creamer's Subdivision

On October 31, 1919 Donald M. Hamilton purchased this property from the Richmond Realty Company.

Donald Munson Hamilton was born November 14, 1887 in Columbus, son of English parents, Archibald and Mary Ellen Atkinson (Lovelady) Hamilton. He married Leoti Leni Leeper on December 18, 1915 in St. Joseph, Indiana. Leoti was born October 6, 1889 in South Bend, Indiana, daughter of Samuel and Della M. Earl Leeper. They had three sons: Donald, Jr. (August 6, 1918 - October 7, 1978) who became an attorney, Earl L. (1921) and Richard H. (1926).

Hamilton is in the front row in this picture of the 1909 Notre Dame football team.

A Wilkipedia article states that Don Hamilton was "an American football player for the University of Notre Dame, as well as a professional baseball player and a football referee. As a two-year starter at quarterback for Notre Dame, Hamilton amassed a record of 15-1-1. The highlight of the undefeated 1909 season was the school's first victory over Michigan in nine tries - an 11-3 triumph over a very good Fielding H. Yost team that would earn Notre Dame the title "Champions of the West". In 1910, Hamilton's eligibility was suspended for having played professional baseball with the Louisville Colonels, but he would return as a backup quarterback in 1911 and throw the school's first game-winning touchdown pass - a 35-yard strike to Lee Matthews - for a 6-0 victory against Pitt. After graduation, Hamilton played professionally in the Ohio League, first for the Shelby Blues in 1913,and then for the pre-NFL Canton Professionals-Bulldogs in 1914-15. By the early 1920s, he had become a referee for pro games played in the Ohio Valley, and in 1921 was banned from officiating games for the Ironton Tanks after admitting that he had watched them "more closely" than their opponents. By the mid 1930s, Hamilton had become a college football referee for the Big Ten Conference."

The Hamiltons are listed in the 1920 Census as living at 35 Wilson Avenue, Apt. 2. Donald is an attorney. They have a 17-year-old servant, Sarah L. Latham.

In 1940 the Hamiltons lived in Bexley at 222 S. Cassingham Road. Donald's firm was Hamilton and Framer at 17 S. High Street. About 1945 Donald and Leoti were divorced.

Leoti is listed in the 1951-54 Delray Beach, Florida City Directories, though by 1956 she had returned to Columbus and was living at 256 N. Cassingham Road.

Donald died June 2, 1959 in Columbus. Leoti died in Columbus on November 27, 1963.

Daisy Sellers
circa 1920
On February 1, 1923, Daisy F. Sellers bought the house from the Hamiltons.

Daisy Finnell was born July 25, 1878 in Louisville, Kentucky, daughter of Col. John W. Crittenden and Eliza Finnell. Daisy married Truitt B. Sellers about 1898. Truitt was born August 8, 1869 in Lebanon, Ohio, son of William B. and Sarah Elizabeth (Pullen) Sellers.

In 1910 the couple lived at 159 South Monroe Avenue. They had a servant, Ona Wingo. Ona was born about 1866 in Virginia. In the 1911 City Directory she is listed as a domestic, living at 157 South Monroe Avenue. Truitt was manager of the Ohio Inspection Bureau.

Inspection Bureau, Inc. (IBI) began its operation in Columbus, Ohio in 1888 under the name of “Underwriting Association” with several branch offices located throughout the state. In 1894, the name was changed to “The Ohio Inspection Bureau” in Columbus but the Cincinnati office retained the name “Underwriting Association” until 1917. The Ohio Inspection Bureau was a private organization supported by the fire insurance companies. Its duties consisted of scientific fire insurance ratemaking, the preparation of reports and information for the use of the insurance companies and fire-prevention service work for the insuring public. At its peak the bureau employed 200 people maintaining a main office in Columbus, Ohio and 10 branch offices throughout the state. It published thousands of reports and insurance rates. The published rates in reality were prices for $100 of insurance for one year for various types of buildings in any given town or city.

For almost 60 years the Ohio Inspection Bureau was the electrical inspection authority for the City of Cincinnati and adjacent areas while also doing business as an insurance rating organization. 

In 1947, a federal directive required insurance rating departments to confine their work to insurance interests only. The Ohio Inspection Bureau changed its name to Inspection Bureau, Inc. and reorganized its operations to focus entirely on electrical inspections for the City of Cincinnati and surrounding areas. This was accomplished through the combined efforts of the City, the electrical contractors, and Cincinnati Gas & Electric Company (Duke Energy). Presently, IBI is authorized by the Cincinnati and Hamilton County Building Commissioners as the area’s electrical inspection authority.

In 1920 the Sellers lived at 157 Smith Avenue. Truitt's older sister Sarah, "Sallie", lived with them.

In 1930, things were much the same. Sarah was still with them, Truitt's job was the same but 64-year-old Ona Wingo was back with them. The Sellers owned the house, valued at $20,000.

The Sellers both died in Columbus and are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery. Daisy died July 11, 1942 and Truitt died September 21, 1944.

Truitt's heirs split the property three ways, on April 11, 1945. Apparently they were all living at 1614 at the time. Sara M. Sellers (age 80), Helen G. Sellers (age 78), and Irma B. Tinsley (age 65). Title to the property passed along until there was only one surviving sister.

Sarah M. Sellers was born March 3, 1863 in Ohio. A family Member reported, "After the death of their parents in the early 1900s, Sarah moved in with her brother, Truitt B. Sellers and his wife, Daisy Finnell, at 1614 Richmond Avenue where they all lived the rest of their days." Sarah died on July 1, 1950 and is buried in Lebanon Cemetery in Lebanon, Ohio.

On October 11, 1955, the property passed to the last surviving sister, Irma S. Tinsley. Her guardian, Emily I. Hamilton sold the property on March 17, 1959 to the Roans for $14,000.

Sanford Roan
circa 1941
Sanford Ernest Roan was born February 23, 1914. He married Lucile Penn Johnson on March 1, 1941. Lucile was born in Columbus on August 5, 1916, daughter of William F. and Lena Penn Johnson. They had two children, Kay Sanford and Gary R.

In 1945, Sanford was a factory worker at Curtiss-Wright and the family lived at 76 East 11th Avenue. In 1953 they lived at 1568 Clifton Avenue, a property the family retained.

Sanford Roan was the first African-American to try to become an officer in the Ohio Highway Patrol in 1940. He was the first cadet, but not the first officer.

partial newspaper article
on Roan's beating
From the Ohio State Highway Patrol website, "In 1939, at the age of 25, an African-American named Sanford Roan decided to apply to the Ohio State Highway Patrol. He had assurances from many in important organizations, including Ohio Governor John Bricker, that the state was eager to hire men of color to various positions. But despite his qualifications, Roan's efforts to join the Patrol in 1940 were met with much opposition within the Division.

During the training, reports were made in newspapers throughout the state that he was made to eat by himself, away from the rest of the class, and other instances of being treated badly. The final straw came, though, after the boxing portion of the training, according to this newspaper account:

Lucile Penn Johnson Roan
"'During the self-defense class, which is held from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.,' Roan said 'part of the routine is the sparring bouts that are held daily where the students usually box in three minute periods. I was given several men to spar with for these periods and then when I almost reached the point of exhaustion, I was matched with a 200-pounder who attempted to make a fight of it,' he continued.

Roan received stitches at a local hospital and resigned from training, despite pleas from many for him to return to the Patrol. Despite its promise to Roan, the governor's office put off making any decisions until after Gov. Bricker's re-election, then ignored Roan's pleas all together.

Nevertheless, after his experience with the Division, Roan became a successful entrepreneur and family man. He married his sweetheart, Lucile Penn Johnson, March 1, 1941, and some years later added two children, Kay and Gary, According to Kay, her father and mother heavily emphasized education for their children - both had college degrees.

FAMILY LIFE  After his experience with the Division, Roan became a successful entrepreneur and family man. He married his sweetheart, Lucile Penn Johnson, March 1, 1941, and some years later added two children, Kay and Gary, his daughter Kay said during an interview in the fall of 2009. According to Kay, her father and mother heavily emphasized education for their children. Sanford had a college degree, as did Lucile (from The Ohio State University). When old enough for school, Kay said she and her brother attended University School, a school set up at Ohio State as a sort of "learning laboratory" for education students in what is now known as Ramseyer Hall. They were two of very few minority children in the school, but Kay doesn't remember that being an issue.

LEMONADE IN A WORLD OF LEMONS In fact, there wasn't much that Kay noticed growing up in her immediate surroundings on the east side of Columbus that made her feel uncomfortable. She attributes that to her parents' ability to shield their children from much of the world's racism during their young lives. Kay said her father never talked about what happened to him during his time at the Patrol's Training Academy. Although she believes it affected him deeply, she points out that he moved on to become a successful businessman in Columbus until his death in July 1965. "He didn't share the horror stories. It made him a stronger person," Kay said of her father's Patrol experience. "He was not a bitter man, but he wanted justice. He was promised a state job. He quit several times (due to the incident), but a lot of people worked very hard to get him to go back." 

The former Macon Hotel at 20th and Mt. Vernon Avenue
DOING BUSINESS IN COLUMBUS After he resigned from the Patrol's training program, Roan began opening businesses throughout Columbus and the surrounding area. They mainly consisted of smaller stores, like today's convenience shops, pool halls, and lounges, Kay said, and included names such as the Kozy Korner Lounge (Roan owned the building at 320 Taylor Avenue), the Macon Hotel and Lounge, several apartment buildings, and R&R Car Wash. The Macon, which Roan owned with a partner, was a premier location in Columbus on the near east side, where many of the best black entertainers came to perform, including Duke Ellington. In fact, the Macon was part of the Chitlin' Circuit, a string of performance venues throughout the eastern and southern United States that were safe and acceptable for African American entertainers to perform during the age of racial segregation from the late 1800s through the 1960s. "We're not quitters. I come from a strong work ethic," Kay said of her family. "I remember him commenting once that he would 'never work for anyone in his life.' Whatever problems happened in his life...he never did end up working for anyone else." 

STRONG HERITAGE Both Roan and his wife, Lucile, came from strong working families. Roan's family was prominent in the Chicago area, owning and managing several restaurants and nightclubs in the city, Kay said. Lucile's family owned Penn Transfer and Storage Company in Columbus, which, at the time of its operation, was the United States' oldest African-American-owned business operating in the same location, according to The Library of Congress. Located on High Street near the OSU campus, the business catered to the university, moving objects, furniture, and other items for students and local residents. "When black celebrities came to town, they all needed a place to stay, and my Great-Grandma had raised eight kids and had a lot of room at her house," Kay said. Other well-known figures who stayed at the home included singer Ethel Waters, politician and author Booker T. Washington, and poet/short story writer Langston Hughes, according to Kay and Gary. Lucile's mother, Lena Penn Johnson, ran the family company and made frequent trips to New York City on business. Johnson was very well known socially, as was Lucile herself. In addition to being involved with and starting several social groups in the Columbus area, Lucile modeled along side Lena Horne, wrote a newspaper column and was engaged for a short time to Mercer Ellington, the son of Duke Ellington. In fact, Color Magazine voted Lucile and Horne as two of 10 Best Dressed Negro Women in the country. Despite the ability to provide almost anything his children desired due to great business success, Kay said her father was very adamant that his kids realize the importance of education and hard work. They had jobs at car wash owned by their father, and they would work every Sunday after church. Gary also worked his own paper route each Sunday after church. "He didn't want to spoil us. But we always had nice things - new cars, nice clothes. Mom never worked (outside of the home) a day in her life. Our college was paid for and he paid cash for everything," Kay said. "We didn't even get to have our own bikes for the longest time. We were always riding other kids' bikes." 

SOME LEMONS ARE MORE SOUR With all the prominence enjoyed by her family and their circle of friends in Columbus' black community, Kay enjoyed a childhood devoid of racial tensions. "They tried to insulate us," she said of her parents. "We didn't go places we weren't wanted." But there came a time, when Kay was 15 years old, and she was invited to a school friend's house overnight. The friend's house, located in another neighborhood than Kay's house, had neighbors across the street who weren't particularly fond of seeing Kay on their lane. The neighbors made it known to the schoolmate's parents that, if Kay actually spent the night at her friend's home, that the neighbor's daughter would never visit again. The incident bothered Kay, but her mother gave her good advice on how to handle it. "She said, 'Honey, tell them it doesn't rub off,'" Kay said.

WHAT A TRIP Kay also remembers trips her family made each year in the family car to California. To protect his family during the trip, Roan carried the registered gun he used to protect the lounges and bars he owned from theft. "We had to because our lives were in danger," Kay said. The trips were disappointing, though, because each summer, the Roan family encountered some incident of discrimination. So one year, they decided to travel through Canada. "We went through Canada and there was no racism," Kay recalled. "They all said, 'You should come up here, it sounds terrible in the States.'" A short time afterward, they traveled through Washington State, where two white men in a sports car tried to run the family's car off the road, and succeeded - they ended up in a ditch. Fortunately, no one in the Roan family was injured, and they continued their vacation.

PERSERVERANCE, PRIDE IN FAMILY AND COMMUNITY Incidents like these didn't stop the Roan family. Kay and Gary were active in programs, like Jack and Jill, a club for parents and kids, and groups in the church. The Victory Matrons, an African-American women's group started in 1942, also invited Kay to be sponsored as a debutante at their annual Star Lite Cotillion. She was presented as a Pre-Debutante when she was 16, and a Debutante at the age of 17. A strong sense of unity in the Black community was very important, Kay said, and is to this day. Kay's mother, in fact, was one of 10 founding members of the Columbus chapter of The Girlfriends Inc., a social-civic club for African-American women that started in New York in 1927. Kay continues to be a member of that organization to this day. "The Black Community stuck together - it still sticks together. We have to," she said.

Kay said her father never talked about what happened to him during his time at the Patrol's Training Academy. Although she believes it affected him deeply, she points out that he moved on to become a successful businessman in Columbus until his death in July 1965. 

Like the Roan family, there have been many who sacrificed and suffered to better the lives for those who followed. Motivating these leaders were characteristics like civic pride, patriotism, pride in family and heritage, and fortitude to overcome obstacles. 

In 2009, the number of sworn Patrol personnel belonging to minority groups is about 15 percent of about 1,500 officers, and the atmosphere within the Division is very different than that of 1940. Today, recruitment of minority officers is a focus of the Office of Training, Selection & Standards.

These and others were able to serve with the Patrol as as a result of those like Sanford Roan, who spoke out for the rights of individuals of all races. Roan passed this legacy onto his children, as well. Both of Roan's children continue the family tradition of success - both are college graduates and have successful careers.

REFERENCE INFORMATION
Reels of microfilm, one of which contains Roan's letter to Pres. Roosevelt, the U.S. Attorney General's response, and several articles regarding Roan's unfortunate experiences with the Ohio State Highway Patrol are recorded as a part of the "U.S. Department of Justice Classified Subject Files on Civil Rights, 1914-1949 (ISBN 978-0-88692-765-3)." These reels are a collection mainly of letters to the President written by citizens against the practice of lynching. A large group of the documents deal with the case of the Scottsboro Boys, and others include subjects like the lynching of Claude Neal, race riots, and other civil rights violations. The collection is owned by Lexis-Nexis and are available only four places in the United States (according to State of Ohio Library information as of November 2009): Lexis-Nexis (Bethesda, Maryland); John Hopkins University (Baltimore, Maryland); a library in Iowa; and The Library of Congress, (Washington, D.C.).

The Columbus Dispatch of Saturday, July 17, 1965 headline reported, "Sanford Ernest Roan, 51, 1616 Richmond Ave., is fatally shot, and two others are wounded after an extnded drinking bout at the Int'l Hod Carriers Union Hall." Lucile died in Columbus on April 3, 2003.

On February 25, 2000, the property was transferred to Kay S. Roan.