Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Visit the new website! www.dornberghouse.com

The profiles featured here have outgrown a blog format. You can now find all this great Columbus and Woodland Park history and more at www.dornberghouse.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

1582 Richmond Avenue - Babb House

Lot 35 Smith's Woodland Park Addition
1582 Richmond Avenue, March 2010

Odos Miller Blose bought this lot from the Smiths about 1904. He built other houses in the the neighborhood and probably built this one. There are stylistic similarities to 1559 Granville Street, another house built by Blose at the same time.

Agnes B. Babb bought the house from Blose on May 13, 1905 for $6,000.

Robert Leroy Babb was born October 3, 1869 in Clark County, Ohio, son of John Henry and Mary B. Kills Babb. He married Agnes Braley in Springfield, Ohio on October 14, 1897. Agnes was born May 9, 1867 in Clifton, Ohio, daughter of George and Margaret Anderson Braley. They had a daughter, Beatrice Margaret (April 6, 1899-May 26, 1985).

Message on the right of this postcard for Rally Day at the Nelson Memorial Presbyterian Church (which was located on the corner of Parkwood and Clifton Avenues) is signed, "Your friend and superintendent, R.L. Babb."
The postcard probably dates from 1912, as September 29 would have been a Sunday in that year.
In 1912, Babb was manager of the local office of the Dodd-Mead Company, publishers. In 1917 he was General Manager of the Columbus office of The R.L. Dollings Company, dealers in bonds and securities. Dollings was bankrupt by 1923.

The January 1922 issue of The Ohio Teacher reported, "Mr. Robt. L. Babb has been appointed by G. & C. Merriam Co. as their general agent for western and southern Ohio and Kentucky. Mr. Babb has been state agent for Dodd, Mead & Co., Inc., for the past 20 years and is well known to the teachers and school officials in the sale of The New International Encyclopedia. He will sell Websters New International Dictionary. Mr. W.J. Fitz-Henry has gone to Florida on account of Mrs. Fitz-Henry's ill health and has disposed of his business to Mr. Babb, whose address is 303 Schultz Bldg., Columbus, Ohio."

Agnes died May 4, 1937 and Robert died February 5, 1941. The Babbs are buried in Clifton-Union Cemetery in Greene County, Ohio.

The Babbs sold the house on June 3, 1918 to Bertha H. Blagg. Robert Blagg was an officer of the Dollings Company, so he worked with Babb at the time of the sale of the house.

Robert Ledford Blagg was born in October 23, 1869 in West Virginia, son of John Anderson and Louisa Isabel Persinger Blagg. He married Bertha "Birdie" Hoffman in Hamilton County, Ohio on September 16, 1896. Birdie was born in February 1877 in Ohio. They had a daughter, Mabel Virginia (April 1899)

In 1900 the Blaggs lived in Springfield, Ohio and Robert was the circulation manager for a publishing house. In 1910 he was a magazine publisher. Blagg was Secretary and Treasurer of The R.L. Dollings Company, investment firm in 1918. The 1920 Census lists his occupation as real estate broker.

Robert Blagg died in Bellevue, Kentucky on August 7, 1929. Birdie died in Indian River, Florida in January 1960.

The Blaggs sold the house to Clara Jones on January 8, 1920.

Lewis H. Jones was born March 6, 1869 in Greenfield, Ohio, son of Amos and Jennie Taylor Jones.
He married Clara Rauch on June 21, 1889 in Franklin County. Clara was born about 1869 in Ohio, daughter of Peter and Hannah Kimble Rauch.

In 1920, the Jones lived at 1603 Greenway Avenue. Lewis was a railroad conductor on the Hocking Valley Railway. In 1930, Lewis was not working, but Clara was manager of a delicatessen stand, Jones and Pinkerton. The deli was located at 41 East Market and was a partnership with James R. Pinkerton. Her younger sister, Minnie was the bookkeeper. In 1940 Clara was proprietor of the deli and Minnie was working as a clerk there.

Lewis died February 21, 1933. Clara died July 14, 1959. The Jones are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Clara sold the house on April 15, 1942 to Alice M. Harbeson.

Walter R. Harbeson was born June 2, 1889 in Mansfield, Ohio, son of W.A. and Ida Rissler Harbeson.
He married Alice Margaret Knoderer in Franklin County on June 2, 1917. Alice was born May 24, 1884 in Columbus, daughter of John F. and Amelia Hartman Knoderer. They had a son, Willis, born about 1922.

In 1940 the Harbesons lived at 710 East Deshler Avenue. Walter's occupation was unemployed licensed embalmer. In 1941 they were at the same address and Walter was working as a salesman. In 1946 they were on Richmond and Walter was a lab technician for the State of Ohio.

Alice died February 15, 1950. Walter died in Columbus January 11, 1982. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On December 22, 1965, the DeColas purchased the house.

Joseph J. DeCola was born in 1911. He married Avanelle McComas (about 1958). Avanelle was born August 30, 1923 in Huntington, West Virginia, daughter of Robert E. and Rosa Lee McComas. They had two children, Robin and Bill.

The DeColas were divorced June 24, 1975. Joseph married Angela M. Filichia Dipietro (November 11, 1914-November 16, 2004) on June 12, 1976.

Avanelle's obituary in the March 23, 2012, Columbus Dispatch said, "She was devoted to education and its power to change lives. A lifelong teacher from an early age, she earned her BA in Education from Marshall University and took her Masters and Doctoral work at OSU. She taught for 35 years, primarily with Columbus Public Schools, and valued her time at Gettysburg; she also enjoyed and continued to be involved with the Wonderful Women of Winterset. She was a student of history and how personalities affected the course of change and traveled the world to experience it firsthand. She loved beautiful things, both in art and nature. She also was active with several volunteer activities, including the Trading Post. Her family was of primary importance to her and she patricularly loved knowing her great-grandchildren."

Joseph died April 13, 1977 in Columbus. Avanelle died March 17, 2012.

On April 11, 1967, Edward L. Littlejohn, Sr. bought the house from the DeColas. He received a mortgage in the amount of $13,500 at the time.

Edward Loyce Littlejohn, Sr. was born February 24, 1918 in Columbus, son of Elgie L. and Mary Lauder Littlejohn. He married Margaret Eleanora Brown. Margaret was born February 26, 1925, daughter of (mother nee Austin). They had eight children: Cheryl, Florence, Margaret E., Trevilla J., Patricia, William H., Lepairion and Edward, Jr. (October 24, 1945).

In 1940, Edward lived with his mother and siblings 936 East Gay Street. He was working in a barber shop doing shoe shines. Edward served in the Army dring WWII and later worked for the post office.

Edward died in Columbus on January 9, 1996. Margaret died March 23, 2004.

Margaret was the administrator of Edward's estate and sold the house to Patricia for $35,000 on
August 26, 1997.

Particia sold the house on October 27, 1998 Keeng Jan Enterprises Co., Inc.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

1638 Granville Street - Doty House

1638 Granville Street, March 2010
Lot 5 Ryland's Woodland Place Addition

J.A. Laurence purchased lots 4 and 5 from Samuel Ryland in 1892. The Laurences sold the lots to W.A. Jones in 1894. Jones sold the lots in 1898 to A.R. McNeille.

The McNeilles lived at 1634 Granville Street. McNeille sold the lots to Otho W. Loofbourrow on April 1, 1913. On March 4, 1914, Ross W. Cheek bought the two lots.

Ross was in real estate and was President of the Columbus Real Estate Board (now the Columbus Board of Realtors) in 1913.

This house was probably built in 1914 either by Cheek or for the Dotys. The Dotys bought the property from Cheek on July 14, 1914.

George Henry Doty was born September 15, 1853 in Whitley County, Indiana, son of James and Barbara Shreve Doty. He married Julia Eliza Parfitt on December 20, 1883 at First Presbyterian Church,​ Pittsburgh,​ Pennsylvania. Julia was born March 21, 1862 in Pennsylvania, daughter of John and Mary A. Brown Parfitt. They had a son, Earl J. (October 1884).

In 1910, George was a railroad baggage master. The Dotys lived at 329 West Ninth Avenue. In 1920 the Dotys lived at 992 Oak Street.

George died in Columbus on December 17, 1934. He and his parents are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery. Earl had moved to Alameda, California before 1940. Julia died in Alameda on October 7, 1956.

On May 4, 1916, Stanley Sparks bought the house from the Dotys.

Stanley William Sparks was born May 27, 1875 in Ohio, son of Edward S. and Belle Akin Sparks.
He married Viola Belle Knarston on March 10, 1910 in Covington, Kentucky. Viola was born in California in 1885

In 1910 the newly married Sparks lived with Stanley's family at 1040 Fair Avenue. Stanley was a commercial traveler in machinery. The July 27, 1911 issue of The Iron Age reports that effective August 1st, the machinery department of the Lake Erie Nail and Supply Company of Cleveland "will be in charge of S.W. Sparks, who has been connected with the Osborne & Sexton Machinery Company, Columbus, Ohio."

The May 1916 Southern Hardware journal reports, "The Simplex Machine Tool Company, of Cleveland, with $100,000 capital, has been started by S.W. Sparks, C.D. Gibson, W.E. McNaughton, John O' Bren and Frank Ginn." It is reported elsewhere that the Simplex company was a sales arm of Cleveland Machine and Supply Company and that Sparks was President of both firms. In 1917 Stanley was living at the Seneca Hotel in Columbus.

Stanley W. Sparks,
circa 1919
Edna Spencer Sparks,
circa 1919
In 1919, Stanley was living with his second wife, Edna at 59 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, New York. Edna Spencer was born August 21, 1893 in Salem, Virginia, daughter of Wayland L. and Sallie B. Spencer.

On December 2, 1920, Stanley and Edna divorced in New York City.

Stanley married Lyndel Clima in Cuyahoga County, Ohio on December 18, 1920. Lyndel was born about 1892 in Naugatuck, Connecticut, daughter of Edmund R. and Inez A. Gibbud Clyma.

In 1925, Sparks was living in Summit, New Jersey and filed a patent for an improved gate valve design. He assigned the patent to the Columbus Machine Company.

In 1930, Sparks was living in Norwalk, Connecticut with his fourth wife, Eunice M., who he married in 1929. Eunice was born about 1899.

In the 1939 Norwalk City Directory, Stanley is listed with what seems to be his fifth wife, Rosella. In 1941, Sparks filed a patent for the Sparks Lathe which he assigned to the Sparks Machine Tool Corporation of Norwalk.

Herbert H. Goddard, circa 1938
July 8, 1918 Henry Goddard bought the house

Dr. Henry Herbert Goddard was born August 14, 1866, in Kennebec County, Maine, son of Henry Clay and Sarah Winslow Goddard. He married Emma Florence Robbins  August 7, 1899. Emma was born January 10, 1865 in Winthrop, Maine, daughter of Cyrus S. and Mary R. Rockwood Robbins. The Goddards had no children.

The Indiana University website states, "It is no exaggeration to characterize Henry Goddard as the father of intelligence testing in the United States. His biographer points out that he was either a leader or a participant in every significant event occurring during the genesis of American psychometrics. In the years between 1908 and 1918 he translated the Binet-Simon Intelligence Scale into English, distributed 22,000 copies of the test throughout the United States, advocated for its use in the public schools, established an intelligence testing program on Ellis Island, and served as a member of Robert Yerkes' Army Alpha and Beta testing team during World War One (Zenderland, 1998, p.2). Goddard's contributions to public education were considerable as well: He helped draft the first state law mandating that schools provide special education, and stressed the need for public school reform by suggesting that normal children could benefit from the instructional techniques originally developed for use with retarded students (Zenderland, p. 124, 63).

When Goddard began working in education he was an unlikely candidate for such a distinguished career. He spent his 20s working as a Quaker schoolteacher and principal, and he didn't begin his Ph.D. work until he was 30 years old. He graduated in 1899 and took a job teaching psychology and pedagogy at a state normal school in Pennsylvania. In 1906 he was offered a position in a small New Jersey institution called the Training School for Feeble-Minded Girls and Boys. He enjoyed his work with the students there, and became very interested in the both the causes of mental deficiency and the teaching methods employed by the instructors. His research facility at the school was perhaps the first laboratory for the scientific study of mentally retarded persons."

From a webpage by a researcher who identifies herself only as Lorainne, "As for Henry Herbert Goddard, I may be going out on a limb here, but I believe the reason the tone of "The Kallikaks" study was so harsh (aside from selective editing) was because of his genuine outrage over the conditions Elizabeth Kite reported to him. He had been raised in Maine, in an almost Puritanically-strict Quaker environment, and so, it's understandable that his confoundment must have grown with every story of perfidy provided by Miss Kite. Yet, there was much in Emma's family history that uncomfortably parallelled his own!

"HHG had been born (1866), like Emma, into the less-favored branches of TWO illustrious family trees, the Goodards and the Winslows. His cousins included rocket scientist Robert Goddard, and father & son naturalists Pliny and David Goddard (the latter, a prize-winning botanist and drug-policy advisor under several Adminstrations, referred to his notorious cousin as "Feebleminded Goddard".) Henry's father was a once-prosperous farmer who had sunk, by the time of his son's birth, from landowner to day laborer, partly due to permanent disability from being gored by a bull. His mother, Sarah, became a fanatical Quaker missionary, leaving her crippled husband and son to the care of Henry's much older, married sisters while she preached all over North America.

"Even so, Henry had positive memories of his parents. "They loved me uncommonly", he wrote, "I was the child of their [old] age." There was, apparently, little physical punishment (the father, who died when Henry was nine, was "very gentle") though both parents were quite firm in imposing their beliefs, especially about tee-totalling; their son avoided any drink stronger than cider. Henry grew up in intense poverty (but "genteel"--- no infamous behavior like the rudderless Kallikaks he later wrote about) , only partly relieved by handouts from the local Quaker congregation and earnings from his mother's missions. How he felt about his sisters and their husbands, who raised him after the father's death, may have been something else--- it's interesting to note that, when Henry's wife died, and he grew old, he went to live in California with her relatives, rather than anyone in his sisters' families, or back to Maine, period.

"In any case, the Quakers DID provide Henry with an education--- in a local boarding school, and later, via a scholarship, Haverford College, both of which he later described in almost Dickensian terms. The boarding school was surrounded by a high fence, and in both institutions, the students' routine was monastic. The general intent was to protect the fledgling Quakers from corruption and evil, preparing them for modest careers in teaching and preaching. Henry's instructors discouraged him from reading for enjoyment, and insisted that he bury himself in Greek--- which had its effect, years later, when he was inventing creative terminology such as the word "moron" and, of course, "Kallikak" ("kallos" meaning good; "kakos" meaning bad.)

"Like Emma at Vineland, Henry was not exactly mistreated in HIS schools, either. He won prizes for his speeches, was involved with the school newspaper and the brand-new YMCA (much more religiously-oriented than it is now.) And, in spite of his deceptively compact form and smallish hands, he played on the football team, back when the game, more like rugby then, lacked all modern pretenses at safety. Later, he was even, briefly, a football coach while also teaching in a college in California. Eventually, fulfilling a boyhood dream, the surprisingly sturdy Henry found time to go mountain-climbing in Europe while there for psychological conferences !

"He made a fair number of life-long friends, but in boyhood, he was quiet and shy ---unless overwhelmed with a new enthusiasm (not always a good thing, like when he later became enamored and then obsessed with intelligence studies.) He developed another trait that reflected his fatherless state: When seized by his enthusiasms, he eagerly, perhaps TOO eagerly, sought approval and acquaintance with prominent men in whatever field his interests currently lay. (Also, sometimes not a good thing.) It was, indeed, this life-long tendency toward almost boyish eagerness, even ingenuousness, which endeared him to his friends, to such an extent that, in his old age, he himself derided his "childishness."

"Henry was not very attractive as a youth, with an oblong head, topped by a receding hairline by his teens, and a long nose, all of which he later brought into balance with a substantial mustache. He was already repressing whatever resentments he had against his absent mother, dead father, busy sisters and brothers-in-law, and, of course, his teachers. In old age, Henry would write of the occasions he had been made to feel lonely and incompetent, and that he HAD initially felt empathy with his Vineland pupils. "I was one of them!"

"Henry's destiny seemed to be as an undistinguished teacher in a series of small Quaker schools. It was during one sojourn that he met his wife, Emma Florence Robbins, a fellow teacher. She was over a year older, but petite and pretty; however, she was noted for being "strong-willed." (This may have been the result of being raised, along with many siblings, by a very determined widowed mother who ran the family farm on her own after her husband's early death.) Even so, Emma seemed to be just what the young, lonely Henry needed--- he married her just before his 23rd birthday. He let her set the rules of their home, and, perhaps because they remained childless, the couple was more devoted than most. When apart, they wrote each other several times a day. Observers would comment 25 years later that the Goddards still behaved like love-struck teenagers. Henry would even write to a male colleague that he couldn't come to a meeting he'd been looking forward to, because Emma was sick, and he acted as "nurse and cook." When she died in 1936 (by which time the couple was living in Illinois) Henry's grief and depression was so intense, that his friends all the way back in Vineland worried about him."

The Goddards employed a live-in maid, Helen T. Duncan in 1926.

Emma died of cancer on October 23, 1936 at University Hospital in Columbus. She is buried at Siloam Cemetery in Vineland, New Jersey.

Goddard moved to Santa Barbara, California in 1947. He died at his home there on June 18, 1957. Wikipedia states that his cremated remains were interred with those of his wife at the Vineland Training School (Cemetery), though evidence suggests the Goddards are both buried at Siloam Cemetery in Vineland.

Goddard sold the house on February 18, 1948 to Robert C. and Dorothy H. Duckworth, though Robert and his parents are already listed as living at the house (as is Henry Goddard) in the 1946 City Directory.

Robert C. Duckworth was born June 11, 1920 in Ohio, son of Van James and Suzanne Duckworth. He married Dorothy Helen Nicklaus on November 2, 1946. Dorothy was born December 17, 1922, daughter of Louis Charles and Arkie Belle Thompson Nicklaus. They had three children.

In 1940, Robert lived with his parents at 1637 Oak Street.

Robert followed in the footsteps of his father, a radio repairman with his own shop. In the early 1950s, Robert had the shop and his father worked as a television tech at Riebel's Appliance Center. The present God's House of Glory at 2189 East Fifth Avenue near Sunbury Road was the home of Duckworth Television and Radio Service. The Duckworths later lived at 178 North Ardmore Road in Bexley.

Robert died June 30, 1990 and Dorothy on January 9, 2004. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On November 17, 1949, the Duckworths sold the house to James W. and Elmine H. Rickman.

James W. Rickman,
circa 1943
James Wesley Rickman was born June 22, 1922 in Meigs County, Ohio, son of Earl C. and Cassia Rickman. He married Elminie Holland. Elminie was born June 3, 1924 in Seneca, South Carolina, daughter of George and Rosa Holland.

In 1940, James lived with his parents in Middleport, Meigs County and Elminie lived with her family in Londsdale Mill, South Carolina.

James was a Staff Sergeant in the Army in WWII. He was awarded four battle stars and a good conduct medal. He attended Wilberforce State College. He was an attorney.

The Rickmans breaking ground for a new
school building, circa 1962
Elminie founded Rick's Child Guidance Center in the early 1950s. It is the oldest African-American school and the second oldest kindergarten in Columbus, having been in continuous existence from approximately 1953.

Elminie was one of nine children. She graduated from the Oconnee County School System and continued her education at Benedict College in Columbia, South Carolina, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree and teaching certification for Elementary Education. Mrs. Rickman taught school in Seneca and then joined her husband, Attorney James W. Rickman, in Columbus, Ohio in 1947.

In 1947 and 1948 she was a teacher at the Religious Training Institute (RTI) which was located at 20th and Long Street. In 1952 Mrs. Rickman began a kindergarten in her home at 1638 Granville Street with eight children. In approximately 1955 she purchased property at 297 Woodland Avenue and relocated her school, which had an enrollment of nearly 100 students and a staff of five trained teachers. She envisioned, founded, built and served as director of  Rick's Child Guidance Center (Kindergarten-Nursery), which accommodated two hundred children and is said to be the first all fireproof building for a kindergarten in the state of Ohio. Apparently fireproof was a hard lesson learned as the front page of the Columbus Dispatch of January 4, 1962 reported, "Three teachers act quickly to save seventy-five children from a two-alarm fire at Rick's Child Guidance Center Kindergarten, 297 Woodland Avenue." This was followed a month later by another Dispatch story on February 6, 1962 that reported that charges of operation without a license were dismissed against Mrs. Elminie Rickman, 1638 Granville St., Operator of Rick's Child Guidance Center Kindergarten.

From 1953 to 1992, Mrs. Rickman had continuously conducted her kindergarten with a staff of eight teachers, six substitutes, a cook, a custodian and two bus drivers. She held annual graduation exercises for her kindergarten students. Graduates from her school number into the thousands. In addition, she presented several theatrical productions, programs and recitals over the years. She received numerous honors throughout her life for her contributions to various civic and community affairs.

James and Elminie both died in Columbus, he on November 2, 1992 and she on April 16, 2000.

Rick's Child Guidance Center, 289 Woodland Avenue
I toured 1638 Granville Street in 2012. I was struck by the number of windows on the first floor (all original and without storms) and the enclosed porch area in the front. Recent renovations included a less-than-perfect kitchen remodel and a finishing of the attic which involved adding a steep staircase through one of the bedrooms, making the second floor layout somewhat awkward.

1571 Hawthorne Park - Brown House

Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
1571 Hawthorne Park, March 2010
Lot 21-22 Amended Plot of Woodlands (Lot 31 of Calender & Rockwell's Addition)

This house was built between 1908 and 1911 for John Beals Brown. It was probably designed by architect Otto C. Darst.

John Beals Brown was born January 8, 1864 in Columbus, son of John W. and Sarah Louise Wing Brown. He married Osie Emma Armstrong on April 13, 1887 in Franklin County. Osie was born August 21, 1866 in Troy, Ohio, daughter of Elliott B. and Mary Emma Parker Armstrong. They had a son John Weller Brown, II, born June 10, 1892

The October 7, 1916 issue of American Contractor reports that architect Otto C. Darst's plans for a garage at 1571 Hawthorne Park will be ready for bids on October 10. John B. Brown, owner, Secretary and Treasurer of the John W. Brown Manufacturing Company.

The John W. Brown Manufacturing Company was located on the northwest corner of Town and Center Streets. They made headlights for carriages and then early cars and motorcycles. One of their tradenames was Stabilite. Their headlights were on Auburn, Studebaker, Hudson and Ford automobiles among others. They manufactured Motolamps for Indian Motorcycles. In 1930 the company merged with two others and became the Corcoran-Brown Lamp Company and was based in Cincinnati. That firm later became part of Autolite.

The Horseless Age, September 17, 1913 reports, "New Plant for Brown Mfg. Co. - The
John W. Brown Mfg. Co., of Columbus, O., one of the largest makers of automobile lamps in the country, is making rapid progress on the construction of a large new plant, located on Marion road. The plans of the officials are to have the plant ready for occupancy by the first of the year, if
not sooner. The concern has a large contract to supply the Ford Motor Car Co. with lamps." This building was located at 753 Marion Road. They also had a manufacturing facility at 666 Marion Road in 1919.

Hughes House, 51 West Second Avenue, circa 1897
In 1930 the Browns lived at 56 South Columbia Avenue in Bexley, a house designed by architect Darst and built by R.H. Evans Company for John Weller Brown in 1916 at an estimated cost of $30,000. This home later became the Columbus School for Girls.

Brown has a mausoleum with a beautiful stained glass window at Greenlawn Cemetery. There are six of the family interred in the mausoleum, including Brown who died August 10, 1931 in Tuscarora Township, Michigan and his wife, Osee who died in Bexley on November 4, 1940.

The Browns sold the house to Frank L. Hughes on January 11, 1917.

Frank L. Hughes was born September 7, 1857 in Ohio, son of Welsh parents, John R. and B. Elizabeth Evans Hughes. He married Harriet M. Ritson in Franklin County on October 19, 1887. Harriet was born August 1863 in Ohio. They had two daughters: Mary R. (October 1, 1888) and Margaret (August 26, 1896).

Margaret Hughes, circa 1923
Mary R. Hughes, circa 1920
Hughes was Vice President of the Buckeye Buggy Company and president of J.R. Hughes Trunk Co. Frank's father, John R. Hughes came to Columbus in 1848 and began making trunks. He founded the J. R. Hughes Company in 1850 and organized the Buckeye Buggy Company in 1881.

The Buckeye Buggy Company operated from 1881 to 1910 with a factory at 482 North High Street, built on the site of the first professional baseball game to be played in Columbus in 1876. The factory was demolished April 23, 1910. The company slogan was "Get a Buckeye and Be Satisfied."


Buckeye Buggy Company billhead from 1896

Lima (Ohio) News, June 14, 1926
Capitol Trust Building, 8 East Broad Street, center, circa 1909
Hughes died June 14, 1926 when he committed suicide by jumping from the 13th floor of the Capitol Trust Building, 8 East Broad Street and falling to the roof of 6 East Broad Street. He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

The property passed to Harriet and his two daughters after his death and finally to Margaret (Merkle) on November 6, 1936. She sold it on November 23 to Margaret I. Hatton.

Frederic G. Hatton,
 circa 1918
Frederic George Hatton was born March 13, 1883 in Delta, Ohio, son of Frank and Jennie Boone Hatton. He married Margaret Iola Coulson in Franklin County at St. Paul's P.E. Church on October 24, 1906. Margaret was born October 9, 1882 in Bellaire, Ohio, daughter of John W. and Margaret A. Henry Coulson. They had two sons: Frederic H. (1908) and William C. (May 14, 1912, Roanoke, Virginia).

Hatton was Secretary of the Middle States Coal Company in 1905. He was President of Hatton, Brown and Company and the Blue Ridge Coal Company. His partner, William M. Brown lived in Roanoke, Virginia. Both men had worked at the Sunday Creek Coal Company and the Clinchfield Coal Company. In 1942 he was President of the Hatton Coal Company.

The Hattons sold the house to Ambrose C. Lomer on July 18, 1951.

Ambrose Condins Lomer was born in Fryburg, Pennsylvania on November 9, 1887. He married Etta. Etta was born July 18, 1883.

Lomer came to Columbus via Erie, Pennsylvania and Akron, Ohio.

Ohio Auto Sales, 772 North High Street, circa 1915. The building 
on the corner of High and Warren Streets, looks much the same today.
In 1924 Lomer owned Lomer's Auto Laundry at 31-35 North Wall Street.  By 1934 it was Lomer's Auto Park at 35 North Wall Street. He was also President and Manager of Lomer Auto Sales at 772 North High Street. The 1940 Census lists Lomer as a parking lot operator, living at 1209 W. Third Ave. In the early 50s, Lomer and his wife, Etta, lived at 1688 East Broad Street, Apartment 1.

Lomer died in December 1957 and Etta died May 26, 1981.

Lomer sold the house to Frank R. and Mabel R. Arnold on February 23, 1952.

Rev. Frank Russell Arnold was born June 18, 1884 in Ironton, Ohio, son of Calvin R. and Mary Bickley Arnold. He married Twila Mae Martin in Cuyahoga County on August 28, 1919. Twila was born October 6, 1898 in Springfield, Ohio, daughter of Samuel H. and May Pattiese Martin.

Frank lived in Martins Ferry, Ohio and was an Army Chaplain in WWI.

Frank and Twila divorced in Columbus on December 4, 1920. Twila married Henry C. Sherman in Clark County on February 13, 1924. Frank married Mabel Sarah Rone in Cuyahoga County on April 25, 1921. Mabel was born in 1893 in West Virginia, daughter of Edward and Mary Poindexter Rone.

In 1940 the Arnolds lived in Cincinnati.

Arnold was pastor of Asbury Methodist Church 1949-1961. With a growing congregation, Arnold was responsible for Asbury's purchase of the Nelson Memorial Presbyterian Church at 1586 Clifton Avenue in November 1953. Frank was Minister of the McKinley United Methodist Church in Dayton, Ohio from 1961-1966.

The Arnolds sold the house to James D. and Pauline Parks on September 5, 1963. The Parks lived at 1512 Eastwood Avenue in Columbus.

James Darry Parks, Jr. was was born January 17, 1923 in Atlanta, Georgia, son of James Darry and Lulu Sims Parks.

The 1940 Census shows James living with his parents at 195 Garfield Avenue. His brother Arthur was born in Ohio in about 1927, so the Parks probably moved to Columbus from Georgia between 1925 and 1926.

James married twice and both his wives were named Pauline. He married Pauline Davis in Clark County on December 23, 1943. They married on Pauline's 16th birthday. Pauline was born December 23, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, daughter of Alex and Fannie Maxwell Davis. Parks was in the U.S. Marines at the time.

On June 20, 1948, James married Pauline N. Dotson in Franklin County. Pauline was born May 5, 1929 in Gallipolis, Ohio, daughter of Dixie and Geraldine Borden Dotson. At the time of their marriage, James was a city fireman and living at 451 South Monroe Avenue. Pauline lived at 185 North 20th Street, her parents' home that Pauline owned until her death.

Pauline Dotson Parks
James and Pauline were divorced in Columbus on August 25, 1987.

James died in Columbus on May 25, 1996. Pauline died in September 2012.

Carolyn Napier posted her condolences in the Columbus Dispatch online guest book with Pauline's obituary along with this comment, "I remember fondly her teaching me how to sew. I remember her in the kitchen cooking and all the fun Paula and I had in the house with all the secret hiding places."

Moses D. Mosley bought the house on April 17, 1996.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

50 Taylor Avenue - Leon-Grim House

Lot 8 Cornfield's Addition

On April 27, 1897, Margaret Cornfield of Kent County, Michigan sold lots 8, 19 and 32 to William H. Albery for $2,200. Albery also assumed mortgages of $400 on lot 8, $600 on lot 19 and $500 on lot 32.

The Alberys sold lot eight to Florence A. Grim for $1,000 on October 6, 1900. This house was probably completed in 1901.

Leopold Leon was born March 12, 1869 in Cincinnati, son of Marx and Jennie Leon. He married Florence A. Grim about 1897. Florence A. Grim was born in Springfield, Ohio, in January 1877, daughter of Horace G. and Dora Scott Grim. Leopold and Florence were divorced before 1907.

Hotel Star, 227-229 North High Street, circa 1905








Leopold Leon, circa 1896
The 1892 City Directory lists the Leon Brothers, Leopold and Emanuel M., proprietors of the Star Furniture House at 490-494 North High Street. The brothers then lived at 759 East Town Street, which later became Bryden Road. Their brother Charles M. was with The London Clothing Company (132 North High Street) and was living in Springfield, Ohio. Florence was from Springfield, so perhaps this is how Leopold and Florence met.

In 1893, Leopold was living at 759 East Town Street, Emanuel was living at The Richelieu, and Charles was at 1215 East Town Street.

In 1896 the brothers owned Leon Brothers & Company at 227 North High Street. The business was opened April 24, 1896 as Leon's Star Furniture House. The building extended to 229 North High Street.

The building was later the Star Hotel. There was a large fire at the hotel on February 16, 1923.

In 1897 Leopold was living with his brother Charles at 759 Bryden Road. Emanuel lived at 1255 Neil Avenue.

759 Bryden Road, March 2010
The 1900 Census shows Leopold and Florence living at 459 Mound Street, his occupation is listed as merchant. The 1902 and 1903 City Directories list Leopold at 50 Taylor Avenue and in 1902 his occupation is listed as broker. In the 1904 and 1905 City Directories Leopold is listed at 1556 Hawthorne Avenue.

1556 Hawthorne Avenue is Lot 11 of Tussing's Trustees Subdivision. Leopold bought the property from L. Benton Tussing on November 19, 1902 for $800. The deed states that no house may be built on the lot costing less than $2,000.

On July 21, 1903, Leopold, unmarried, sold to Florence A Grim, Lot 11 of Tussings for $1,000. Florence also had another unrelated property that she sold on the same day to Levi Smith and that deed notes her name as "Florence A. Grim, sometimes known as Mrs. L. Leon..."

Florence married Thomas P. Hanley in Cuyahoga County on January 18, 1907. They were divorced and Florence married Clarence R. McCain in Cuyahoga County on January 4, 1909. In 1910 the McCains were living in Detroit and Florence had acquired three stepsons in the deal.

In the 1920 Census, Leopold is listed as a lodger with John and Sarah Lewis at 344-1/2 East Main Street. His occupation is clothing salesman.

Leopold married Helen Nancy Van Meter in Newport, Kentucky on September 24, 1920. Helen was born in Columbus on February 2, 1895, daughter of Herman U. and Nancy Ollie Calland Van Meter. They had a son, Jack in 1923. In 1930 the Leons lived at 1113 Champion Avenue.

In 1937 the Leons lived at 1218 Ohio Avenue. Leopold was still working as a clothing salesman.

Leopold died February 13, 1937 at Grant Hospital in Columbus. Helen was only 42 when she died on February 23, 1937 of acute heart dilatation due to the shock of her husband's death. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery. Their son Jack was raised by an aunt and uncle.

On June 22, 1903, Florence sold the house at 50 Taylor Avenue to Minnie P. Hepburn for $3,100.

Arthur C. Hepburn was born in Ohio in February 1857, son of Harman P. and Susan Hepburn. He married Lilly before 1880. Lilly was born about 1860 in Florida. He and Lilly lived at 27 Ruth Street in Memphis, Tennessee in 1880.

In 1860, Arthur was enumerated with his parents, Harman Pease and Susan Hepburn in Middleburg, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. An 1890 issue of the Engineering News-Record cites Arthur as Chief Engineer of the Shreveport Railway and Land Improvement Company. This was a company working to lay tracks and bring the first electric streetcars to Shreveport. In 1892, Hepburn reported that grading had been completed and five miles of track had been laid.

Arthur married Minnie Perry Hendricks in Caddo Parish, Louisiana on January 26, 1893. Minnie was born about 1860 in Iowa. They had three daughters: Katherine R. (1894), Marjorie S. (1896) and Dortha T. (1897).

In 1870 Minnie is living with her paternal grandparents, Adam R. and Rachel W. Hendricks in Burlington, Iowa. In 1880 she is living with her maternal aunt, Annie Frisby in Shreveport, Louisiana and working as a bookkeeper. Minnie is the daughter of one of Adam and Rachel's sons: Charles D., Daniel Allen G., or James B. Hendricks.

The 1900 Census is rather confusing. Arthur is listed as a patient at Protestant Hospital in Columbus. However, there is also a listing for A.C. "Helpburn" in Shreveport, Louisiana that matches him and his family in birthdates and places of birth, but the the names are all different. Minnie is listed as Maude T., Katherine is listed as Cora, Marjorie is listed as Maud and Dortha is listed as Daisey. Both A.C. and Arthur are listed as civil engineers born in Ohio in February 1857.

Arthur's father, Harman is in Columbus in 1900 living at 1558 East Long Street with his daughter Mildred, and daughter Katherine who is married to William N. Cleveland. Harman lived right next door to Frank Tallmadge (1570 East Long Street). Later in 1900 Harman and the Clevelands may have moved to 283 Woodland Avenue.

231 Taylor Avenue, March 2010
In 1902 the Hepburns lived at 231 Taylor Avenue in Columbus.

Arthur died in August 1902 in Shreveport, Louisiana. His death was reported on page 3, column 5 of the August 15, 1902 issue of the Norwalk Daily Reflector newspaper.

The 1904 City Directory shows the widowed Minnie living at 50 Taylor Avenue.

The 1908-1915 City Directories show the widowed Minnie living at 9 Auburn Avenue. In 1908 Arthur's father Harman is living with his daughter Katherine and son-in-law, William N. Cleveland at 1581 Hawthorne Park. Harman died in Cleveland on March 4, 1914.

Minnie and her daughters seem to have moved back to Louisiana about 1916.

Minnie died January 8, 1919 in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

The 1930 Census shows Katherine and Dorothy living in East Baton Rouge on the campus of Louisiana State University.

In 1907 the Artura Photo Paper Company of 1500 Eastwood Avenue bought the house from Minnie Hepburn.

In 1911, the Artura Photo Paper Company sold the property along with lots 9-12 to Frank S. Noble of Rochester, New York.

The City Directory lists Nathaniel Swing at this address from 1911 to 1916.

Nathaniel Gatch Swing was born July 11, 1853 in Bethel, Ohio, son of Merrett L. Swing.
He married Harriett E. "Hattie" Wilson in Clinton County on April 23, 1882. Hattie was born August 10, 1862 in Blanchester, Ohio, daughter of William and Sarah Lyons Wilson. They had a son, Robert Wilson (November 10, 1883-December 19, 1918).

In 1900 the Swings lived in Blanchester, Ohio. In 1910 they lived at 409 Wilson Avenue in Columbus. Nat was working as a shipping clerk at a paper company.

In 1911 the Swings moved to 50 Taylor Avenue. Swing was predominantly employed as a clerk, but in 1916, Swing was a detective for J.J. Mahoney. He worked as a watchman for a time as well. In 1916 Robert was working as a bartender. Robert was a clerk at the Chittenden Hotel and was a victim of the 1918 flu pandemic ,the "Spanish flu", an influenza pandemic that killed 50 million worldwide.

Nat died in Washington Court House, Ohio on November 9, 1939. Hattie died July 30, 1947. The Swings are buried at Sabina Cemetery in Clinton County.

Frank S. Noble sold lots 8-12 to the Eastman Kodak Company on April 9, 1917.

In 1917 Margaret Hearn rented the house.

William Henry Hearn was born in Urbana, Ohio, on December 3, 1863, son of Irish parents, Thomas and Ellen Dore Hearn. He married Margaret Isabelle Karns. Margaret was born February 6, 1870, in Bluffton, Ohio, daughter of Patrick and Elizabeth Buckmaster Karns. They had a son, Charles Floyd (1889-1956).

The 1916 City Directory lists the Hearn Tire & Rubber Company, Distributors of Kelly-Springfield Tires, William H. Hearn, Proprietor. This listing notes that his residence is over the store on the northwest corner of Fourth and Gay Streets, but there is also a separate listing for a residence at 1070 Linwood Avenue. William died October 17, 1916 at 1070 Linwood Avenue.

In 1940, Margaret, her divorced son Charles and grandson, Floyd, lived in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. Charles was a mailman. Margaret died September 19, 1944 in Mt. Vernon.

In 1918, Clarence W. Amore lived in the house.

Clarence, Nellie and Theodore Amore
Clarence Wesley Amore was born November 16, 1893 in Adamsville, Ohio, son of William Henry and Mary Angeline Wertz Amore. He married Nellie Frances Buchanan on April 23, 1916. Nellie was born about December 16, 1896 in West Virginia, daughter of T. H. and Isabelle McCarley Buchanan. They had two sons: Theodore William "Ted" (May 4, 1917) and Harold Winifred (November 5, 1923).

In 1916 Clarence lived at 390 South Ogden Avenue. At the time of her marriage, Nellie was working as a glovemaker.

In 1918, Clarence was a bookkeeper for the Snyder-Chaffee Candy Company. In 1920 the Amores lived at 407 Whitethorne Avenue and Clarence was still working for Snyder-Chaffee.

In the 1930 Census, Nellie is listed as married, but without Clarence, and living with her two young sons at 660 South Burgess Avenue. She was working in the home office of a Fertilizer Company. Clarence is a roomer at 961 West Broad Street, working as a waiter in a restaurant.

Clarence and Mary Amore
On January 16, 1932, Clarence married Mary Ann Traxler. Mary was born January 22, 1895 in Lorain, Ohio, daughter of John and Mary Tunney Traxler. Clarence and Mary were living two doors apart on 4th Street in Newark, Ohio and they both were working as cooks.

In 1940 Nellie is living with her sons, and Theodore is married and working as an office clerk at a news store and Nellie is working as a waitress. Clarence lived in Cleveland and worked for Ohio Crankshaft in 1942. He died June 3, 1973 in Cleveland.

Harold died on November 23, 1951 of a skull fracture in an auto accident on State Route 745 north of Dublin, Ohio. He was a packer at Owens-Illinois Glass Company.

Nellie died in 1956 and Ted in 1991.

In 1919, Joseph and Margaret E. Metaman rented the house.

On December 30, 1919 Kodak, who had bought the Artura Photo Paper Company sold the property to the Snyder-Chaffee Company for $25,000.

In 1920, Thomas O. Pickering, Manager of Central Tire and Repair rented the house.

The house at 1499 Menlo Place was built for the Pickerings about 1909. The Pickerings lived in a number of homes in Woodland Park. There is more information about the Pickerings in the blog post about 1499 Menlo Place.

In 1923, Neal Hasborrok rented the house. In 1924 George C. Fairbanks lived there.

Snyder, Chaffee and Company transferred the property to The North Side Land and Improvement Company on July 1, 1930. North Side lost the house and adjoining building to Sheriff's Sale and they were transferred to The Capital Investment Company in 1932.

In 1933 the Everett and Elizabeth Taylor rented the house. Everett was a carpenter.

In 1939 Emil O. and Ethel Keich lived in the house.

Emil Oscar Keich was born in Youngstown, Ohio on May 25, 1893, son of Charles and Wilimina "Minnie" Brombach Keich. He married Myrtle M. Young in Mahoning County on April 2, 1912. They had three sons, Charles Wilbur (1913) and Paul Russell (1916-1981), the third son was born in 1918 but only lived a few hours.

The 1920 Census shows the Keichs living in Youngstown, Ohio. Emil was a tire builder. Emil and Myrtle were both shoe clerks at the time of their marriage. The 1920 Youngstown City Directory lists the Keichs. Emil, his father and brother Otto are all working at the Republic Rubber Company.

Emil is listed in the 1924 Akron City Directory, living at the YMCA, working as a department manager at Federman Company (a department store). In 1928, Emil and Myrtle are listed in the Akron City Directory. Emil is working at the Nobil Shoe Company.

Emil married Ethel Bertha Johnson about 1928. Ethel was born December 5, 1905 in Kansas, daughter of Francis Marian and Carrie Zerger Johnson. They had a daughter, Ramona, born in California about July 28, 1928.

In 1930, Emil and Ethel Keich lived in Los Angeles, California. Emil was a manager of an advertising company. His brother Otto lived next door and was a job printer. Myrtle is also in Los Angeles, listed as divorced and working as a waitress in a restaurant. She has the two boys, Charles and Paul.

In 1939, Emil and Ethel are living at 50 Taylor Avenue and Emil is a salesman at the Gilbert Shoe Company. In 1941 the Keichs lived at 62 North Ohio Avenue. In 1942, the Keichs lived at 1021 Bryden Road. Emil was employed by the Gilbert Shoe Store at 210 East Town Street.

Ethel may have left Emil. Mrs. Ethel B. Keich is listed in the 1959 Orlando, Florida City Directory. She is working as a saleswoman at Joseph Bumby Hardware.

Ethel died in Florida on December 4, 1970. Emil died March 22, 1973 in Youngstown.

From 1942 through 1945, John E. Ruhl, and Army man lived in the house.

Sometime between 1953 and 1956 the Ritters moved in to 50 Taylor Avenue.

Ira Wilson Ritter was born April 16, 1901 in Ohio, son of Wilson Henry and Josephine Goldner Ritter.
He married Dorothy Thomas in 1927. Dorothy was born April 17, 1902 in Ohio. They had a son, John S. (December 18, 1930).

Columbus Dispatch,
February 10, 1956
From 1930 through 1937, Ira Wilson Ritter was manager of Central Storage and Transfer Company. In 1930 he lived at 1656 Greenway Avenue. In 1937 the Ritters lived at 681 Carpenter Street and Ira was President of the Eastwood Storage Company. In 1953 they lived at 2065 Maryland Avenue.

In March 1946, Overland Realty Company sold the properties to Union Building and Savings Company. In April 1946, Ritter bought the properties from Union Building and Savings Company. In 1956 the storage firm was known as the Atlas Eastwood Storage Co.

Ira died February 9, 1956. His place of residence at time of death was 50 Taylor Avenue. The property was transferred to his widow and son, Dorothy T. and John S. Ritter on November 18, 1957. On March 3, 1958 they sold lots 9-12 to the Atlas Eastwood Storage Company. John transferred his interest in lot eight, 50 Taylor Avenue to his mother. Dorothy continued to live at 50 Taylor Avenue, and she married Dana H. Walser about 1959 and they sold the house to Atlas Moving and Storage on September 20, 1963. The Walsers moved to Corning, Perry County and divorced in August 1971. Dorothy died July 16, 1987 in Perry County.

Atlas sold the property to the Board of Education on August 22, 1968. They would eventually demolish the house.

1530 East Long Street - McCarty House


1530 East Long Street
Lot 34 Cornfield's Addition

This house was probably designed by its first owner, architect, Joel Edward McCarty. The house was built about 1898.

Joel Edward McCarty was born December 9, 1856. He married Ella M.

The McCartys are listed in the City Directories at this address from 1898 to 1912.

McCarty was founding member of the firm of Richards, McCarty & Bulford in about 1899. This firm was in business until 1943 and designed many Columbus landmarks and at least three other homes in Woodland Park, 1570 Hawthorne Park, 1607 East Long Street and 241 Woodland Avenue. Joel McCarty's Subdivision in Woodland Park contains most of the homes of Menlo Place.

McCarty died in 1952.

Joel McCarty, circa 1906
McCarty sold the house to Beryl Agler on July 14, 1919.

Karl George Agler was born April 7, 1879 in Milford Center, Ohio, son of Orin W. Agler. He married Beryl Butler. Beryl was born December 9, 1880, daughter of James H. and Loretta E. Simons Butler. They had a daughter, Doris born in 1908.

In 1917, Agler was Manager and Salesman for The Scioto Valley Supply Company. In 1930, he was President of Dreher Supply Company, wholesale plumbing.

From 1938 until his death, Agler lived at 3130 East Main Street, where he operated Agler's House of Antiques.

Karl died on March 1, 1943 and Beryl died December 22, 1944. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On December 11, 1937, the house was deeded to The Central Building & Loan Company.

On March 26, 1938, Walter G. and Essie D. Lochbaum bought the house.

Walter George Lochbaum was born August 17, 1894 in Pike County, Ohio, son of George N. and Elizabeth Rothmeier Lochbaum. He married Essie Delphia Blair about 1918. Essie was born about 1896 in Ohio, daughter of David and Maggie Blair. They had a daughter Mildred Louise born in 1920.

In 1930 the Lochbaums lived at 107 North 20th Street. Walter was a cabinet maker for a lumber company and Essie was a clerk in a doctor's office.

In 1942 Walter worked for Dealers Lumber Company at 1836 East Long Street. In 1957 he was a woodworker at the Teachout Sash and Door Glass Company. The Lochbaums then lived at 3000 Wicklow Road.

Walter died in London, Ohio on June 29, 1972.

On June 6, 1949, the house was transferred to Mamie L. Brown.

Mamie Lee Brown was born February 14, 1906 in Tennessee, daughter of Walter and Mable Brown. She had a daughter, Jacqueline L. (October 22, 1942).

In 1930 Mamie lived in Nashville, Tennessee and was a nurse for a private family.

In 1949, Mamie lived at 475 Eldridge Avenue. In 1956 Mamie was a clerk working for Joseph T. Kourie. Kourie ran a grocery at 641 Mt. Vernon Avenue.

Mamie died on August 25, 1989 in Columbus.

On January 17, 1986 the house was transferred to her daughter, Jacqueline L. (Harry) Fickling.

On January 26, 1989, Linda Dones bought the house.

On August 5, 1993, Kenneth E. and Terri L. Cavice bought the house.





















Saturday, November 17, 2012

1560 Richmond Avenue - Styron House

1560 Richmond Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
Lots 32 and 33 Smith's Woodland Park Addition.

On August 4, 1904, lot 33 was sold by the Smiths to Marion Meikle for $800.

On March 24, 1908 the Styrons bought lot 33 from George H. Bulford for $850. This house may have been designed by architect Bulford for the Styrons.

This house was probably built between 1908 and 1911.

Newark Advocate, October 29, 1906
Edwin S. Styron was born January 20, 1874 in Utica, New York, son of John L. and Ann B. Eddy Styron. He married Georgia Roberts in Newark, Ohio on October 27, 1906. Georgia was born about 1877 in Worthington, Ohio, daughter of William and Viola Case Roberts. They had three children: Martha R. (1909), Marion Elizabeth (May 13, 1913-February 19, 1914) and Edwin, Jr. (August 10, 1915).

Georgia's father died December 4, 1879. Her mother married Horace Chambers on December 15, 1887 in Franklin County. They were divorced before 1910. Viola Chambers lived with the Styrons. Viola was born May 12, 1846 in Linworth, Ohio, daughter of Alvin O. and Milan Case. Viola was a school teacher in 1870 before she married William Roberts.

In 1900 Edwin lived with his parents in Newark, Ohio. Frank L. Beggs and John L. Styron started the Styron Beggs Company in Newark in 1893. Frank married Edwin's sister Cora in May 1893.

Edwin was Vice President of the Styron-Beggs Company. They were a manufacturing chemists. They manufactured flavorings and extracts, sewing machine oil, toothpaste, aspirin, cough syrup, veterinary insect powder, saccharin and other products they marketed under the "Great Seal" trade name. They packaged turpentine and some other products in "coffin" shaped shaped bottles embossed with the company name that many now misidentify as whiskey flasks. The 1909 Centennial History of the City of Newark and Licking County, Ohio, says, "Styron, Beggs & Company, manufacturers of the Great Seal brands of grocers' drugs, flavoring extracts, ammonia, bluing and home remedies, have, from a small beginning in 1895, built up a business with a monthly payroll of from $1,800 to $2,000, and a force of sixty or seventy people, besides a dozen traveling salesmen." The 1911 City Directory and the 1920 Census list Edwin as a commercial traveler, so he must have been one of the company salesmen as well as Vice President.

On February 25, 1913 Georgia bought the adjoining lot 32 from Charles A. and Margaret P. Workman assuming a mortgage balance of $219.86.

Viola died at 1560 Richmond Avenue on November 19, 1929. Edwin died of pneumonia at 1560 on November 14, 1943. Georgia died April 27, 1948 in St. Augustine, Florida. They are all buried in the Styron plot at Walnut Grove Cemetery in Worthington.
Corner card from Styron-Beggs envelope, circa 1935

Edwin Jr. and his wife, Jayne, lived at 1560 at the time of Georgia's death in 1948.

Duvall A. and Mary E. Granger of 299 Taylor Avenue purchased the house on February 4, 1950 from Edwin Jr. for $10,750 at 5% interest payable in monthly installments of $80.

Duvall Ashby Granger was born in 1911 in Roanoke, Virginia, probably the son of William and Phoebe Granger. He married Mary E. in Virginia before 1939. They had a daughter, Jennifer born about 1952.

In 1936 Duvall lived in Roanoke, Virginia and he was a trucker for the N&W Railway Freight Station. In 1939 they lived with Duvall's older brother John W. and his wife, Lillian, at 1141 Medill Street. Duvall and Mary probably came from Virginia to join John here in Columbus in 1939. John and Lillian are listed in the 1930 Census rooming at 226 Smith Street. John was a laborer on a steam railroad and Lillian was an elevator operator at a bookstore.

Duvall was a paper handler/warehouseman for the Columbus Dispatch in the late 40s and through the 50s. Duvall died in Columbus on November 4, 1964.

Mary remarried and divorced between 1964 and 1978. Jennifer married Jerry E. Walker. Mary E. Taylor and Jennifer A. Walker sold the house on September 25, 1978 to Paul E. and Vivian D. Moorman. The Moormans were living at 1295 East 25th Street before they bought the house.