Tuesday, December 27, 2011

1591 Harvard Avenue

1591 Harvard Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
Lot 24, Warner's Nelson Place Addition

John H. and Margaret N. Warner sold this property to Carlton T. Nelson on January 4, 1899.

Carlton Taylor Nelson was born February 15, 1865 in Franklin County, son of John Jameson and Rebecca Burdett (Serage) Nelson. He married Edna Courtright about 1908. Edna was born June 17, 1884, daughter of Winfield Scott Courtright.

Carlton was a wholesale lumberman, owner of C.T. Nelson & Co. in 1891. In 1910 the Nelsons lived at 73 Parkwood Avenue. They had a 28-year-old maid, Tillie Huffman. It would be my guess that Nelson was the builder of this house.

1894 Columbus City Directory
Carlton died April 11, 1942. Edna died January 1, 1967, both are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Carlton T. and Edna C. Nelson, then in Alberta, Canada sold the property to John T. Dill on June 27, 1913.

On October 2, 1919 Herbert M. Fletcher bought the property from John T. Dill, a real estate dealer, for $800.

Herbert Maxwell Fletcher was born on August 8, 1871 in Washington County, Ohio, son of John E. and Mary Ann (Mayle) Fletcher.

Herbert was first married to Amy Jones in Columbus on July 21, 1908. Amy was born about January 13, 1878 in Morgan County, Ohio, daughter of Luther D. and Sarah E. (Garnes) Jones. She was a seamstress.

In 1910 the Fletchers lived at 392 Galloway Avenue. Herbert's occupation is listed as president of a cement company. His brother Leslie is living with them and he is vice president of the cement company. Late 1930's city directories show listings for Fletcher Brothers Paving Co. A copy of Municipal Journal of March 15, 1917 shows that Fletcher Bros. received a contract to pave Wilson Avenue.

Herbert and Amy had one daughter, Mary Agnes (1914). Amy died at Grant Hospital on October 24, 1915 after an operation. Amy is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Herbert married Roxie Bell Finley in Franklin County on December 16, 1916. Roxie was born December 12, 1883 in West Virginia, daughter of Rufus and Elizabeth (Holly) Finley.

The 1920 Census shows two "mulatto" families living on this stretch of Harvard Avenue, the Fletchers were one of them. Herbert was working as a cement contractor. In 1930 Herbert was a "building contractor" and Roxie was working as a seamstress. The Fletchers owned the home valued at $4,500.

Mary Agnes married Charles Edgar Sinkford before 1941. Charles died January 23, 1982. On May 3, 1991, at age 78, Mary Agnes married Edward James Ellison in Licking County.

Herbert and Roxie both died at their Harvard Avenue home. Herbert passed away on August 18, 1948 and Roxie on January 21, 1951. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On April 19, 1961 the Sinkfords sold the house to Eddie and Lorraine Collier. Eddie Collier was born April 17, 1933. Eddie and Lorraine were married about 1954. Lorraine was born February 15, 1934. They had four children. Eddie and Lorraine were divorced on March 8, 1974 in Columbus. The home is still owned by a member of the Collier family.

Monday, December 19, 2011

1616 Hawthorn Park

1616 Hawthorne Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio
Lot 9 and 10 Woodland(s)

Edward Mithoff Nicholas was born August 19, 1879, son of Walter D. and Fannie (Mithoff) Nicholas. He married Charlotte J. O'Brien in Detroit, Michigan on February 24, 1905. Charlotte was born about 1880 in Ohio, daughter of Lester M. and Helen (Falconer) O'Brien. They had   three children: Edward, Jr. (November 26, 1906 - 1996), Helen (1909) and Charlotte (1910).

Edward M. Nicholas, Jr.
circa 1924

In 1900, Edward was living with his grandfather, Edward Mithoff at 237 East Broad Street. He was a law student and his grandfather's occupation was listed in the census as "retired capitalist".

In 1910 the Nicholas family lived at 1616 Hawthorne Park. Edward was firmly established in his field of real estate. They had four servants including a coachman, maid and nurse.

In 1910, Edward owned 19 North Pearl Alley and commissioned architect Carl E. Howell to design a small building. It features Belgian stained glass windows, and ornate carved stone entrance and a hand carved bar, with oak back bar and paneling. Originally it was called the Chamber of Commerce Cafe. Lowry Slater, the Chamber president complained and Nicholas called back his stonecutter who artfully obscured the lettering and left the words Cafe & Rathskeller. The place wssa known as the Ratskellar for some time. It became the Jolly Gargoyle Art Shop and Tea Room during Prohibition - a bookstore and stationer, a place frequented by students and artists. A 1922 advertisement in a King Avenue U.M. Church Ladies Aid Society cookbook says, "The Jolly Gargoyle, a little shop of old-world beauty - filled with gifts from may lands. Delicious food always. Convenient to stores and theatres. - Special Teas - Evening Dinners (Down the alley by the Chamber of Commerce)" Some have suggested it may have been a speakeasy, but I doubt that was the case. The manager of the Jolly Gargoyle was Mildred L. Dickey. She married William C. Gage sometime about 1927. After the repeal of Prohibition the business was sold to Albert C. "Al" Haft, a wrestler/promoter who renamed it the Ringside Cafe, which it still is today. Clement "Clem" Amorose was a later owner. He was stabbed outside the Ringside on September 14, 1972, but refused to name his assailant. Amorose died in 1993. The Nicholas family owned the building until 1981.

I'll mention here too the Tabard Restaurant, also known as the Jolly Gargoyle Country House which opened August 9, 1926 in an old farmhouse at 4040 Riverside Drive. It would have been just a bit north of the Fishinger Road bridge. Surely the names are not a coincidence, but I do not know any more about the Jolly Gargoyle Country House other than it is long gone, replaced by the River Lawn Subdivision.

Nicholas' Rathskeller, circa 1927, Jolly Gargoyle sign is to the right of the entrance.
The basement room of  the Jolly Gargoyle, circa 1929
In 1940, Edward had a letter/nomination for Life magazine's Man-of-the-Year published, "Sirs: I nominate for Man of the Year, not the heretofore irresistible force, but today's immovable object, Winston Churchill—sustaining, and sustained by, the morale of a free people in its darkest hour.
Columbus, Ohio"

Edward died April 9, 1949 and is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On April 3, 1929, the Hanfords purchased the house. It was in Margaret Hanford's name and there is a note on the record that her address is 30 N. Washington Avenue.

Robert Gilmore Hanford, IV was born May 1, 1885 in Newark, New Jersey, son of Robert Gilmore (III) and Sarah (Field) Hanford.. He married Margaret Delia Brown June 5, 1915 in Franklin County. Margaret was born November 19, 1889 in Chester, Illinois, daughter of Walter Wood and Katharine (McDelLoring) Brown. They had three children, Helen Elizabeth Hanford (1919-2006), Margaret B. (1921) and Robert Gilmore Hanford, Jr. (December 31, 1923 - February 4, 1942). Robert, Jr. died at 1616 of lymphosarcoma.

The Broad-Brunson Place Apartments were designed by Robert Gilmore Hanford in 1923. Hanford was a Columbus architect who also designed the current Ohio Governor's mansion in Bexley, which was originally the home of Malcolm Jeffrey, son of the founder of the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, completed in 1925.  Hanford's family came to Columbus in 1886. Hanford received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from Cornell and practiced with Frank L. Packard in Columbus until 1911 when he moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, where he resided at least through 1915.

The May 24, 1922 issue of American Architect and Architecture announced that, "R. G. Hanford, formerly of the architectural firm of Esselstyn, Murphy and Hanford, of Detroit, has joined in partnership with Harold M. Bush, mechanical engineer, for practice at 681 East Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio."

Margaret died in Columbus August 16, 1955. Robert died in Columbus on December 9, 1964.

Foster O. Newlin was a real estate broker and the first African-American owner of the house. He purchased it on September 30, 1964, selling it ten days later.

Foster was born in Ohio on July 10, 1903. In 1930, Newlin lived at 268 North 17th Street with his mother, Anna Merchant and three brothers, William D. (1912), Fred S. (1914) and David (1918). Foster was a cafe proprietor; William was a presser at a tailor shop; Fred worked as a washroom attendant at a hotel; and Mother Anna was an attendant for the "State Highway". Foster died in Columbus on April 7, 2005 at the age of 101.

Foster O. Newlin ran a real estate company located at 1046 East Long Street and sold the house to Naamon and Rachel Person through a land contract on October 9, 1964. The property transferred to the Persons in August 1971 when they satisfied the contract.

Naamon R. Person was born in North Carolina on September 24, 1917, son of Eben and Sallie M. Person. He married Rachel Elizabeth Morgan. Rachel was born August 24, 1924. I believe they had at least two sons, Joseph E. and Naamon, Jr. Joseph died in a motorcycle accident on I-71 in late August 1984.

A Columbus Dispatch article of September 17, 1971 says, "Howard L. Walker, 23, of 1411 E. Livingston Ave., charged with burglarizing the Joseph Person home at 1616 Hawthorne Ave.; His bond is set at $2,000 and he remains in custody" (p. 2A)

Naamon and Rachel died in Columbus; Naamon on November 8, 1988, Rachel on February 19, 1996.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

1622 Richmond Avenue - Huntington House

Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio 
1622 Richmond Avenue
Lot 4 and 5 of A.R. Creamer's Subdivision

Richmond Realty Company sold the lot to Augusta M. Huntington on November 14, 1919

Hugh Huntington was born April 14, 1885 in South Charleston, Ohio, son of Hugh and Hannah D. (Pierce) Huntington. He married  Augusta India Menfee on January 17, 1916 in Franklin County. Augusta was born June 28, 1887 in Boswell, Indiana, daughter of Marion and Anna M. Van Deripe Menfee. They had four children: Jane (Cook)(1917), Katherine (Stephenson)(1919), Hugh, Jr. "Mike" (May 11, 1921) and William M. "Bill" (1923).

Augusta Menfee Huntington
circa 1911
Augusta attended the Ohio State University. In 1910 she lived with her family at 274 South Ohio Avenue. Hugh was a WWI veteran. Apparently after their marriage they stayed at 274 South Ohio Avenue. In 1920 Hugh was a general practice lawyer. The family had a cook, Anna McDowell, a 42-year-old divorced mulatto woman. In 1930 they owned and lived at 2491 Fair Avenue in Bexley, valued at $30,000.

Hugh was an attorney and long time local Republican leader. Hugh led a campaign committee for the adoption of the Columbus City Charter which was adopted in 1914. He was also a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. Hugh collected unique and memorable wills, a collection started after a 1932 speech at the Kit Kat Club of Columbus. He chose the topic was a whim, but after giving the speech, unusual wills became a hobby. There is an article in the August 13, 1950 Milwaukee Sentinel that talks about Hugh's collection.

The Sunday Morning Star, Wilmington, Delaware, July 15,1946
Hugh Huntington, Jr.
Their son, Hugh, Jr., known as "Mike", died in 2006 in Pacific Palisades, California. He "became interested in airplanes during the 1920s and '30s, having seen Charles Lindbergh in a parade, and later meeting Orville Wright, of the Wright Brothers. Mike learned to fly an airplane at age 16, making him the youngest pilot at that time in Columbus. He also was a record-setting football player, known as the "Blond Express" at Bexley High School."

Hugh died in Bexley on October 18, 1963. An article in the November 1, 1963 Columbus Dispatch (p. 10A) reports that his will included a message concerning his political activities. Augusta died in Columbus on August 9, 1973.

On April 17, 1922, Helene R. Cashatt purchased the property from the Huntingtons.

Helene Rath Cashatt was born in June 7, 1894 in Columbus, daughter of John and Clara P. (Rath) Cashatt. She married Charles Wesley Drais, Jr. on April 22,1922 in Franklin County. Charles was born in Columbus on September 17, 1892, son of Charles Wesley and Birdie (Doughty) Drais.

57 Winner Avenue
John Cashatt was a cigar dealer and in 1900 the family lived at 57 Winner Avenue. John was also a director of the Central Ohio Savings Bank and Trust Company. John died in Columbus on April 10, 1917. The cigar store building was demolished about April 2005 according to a Columbus Dispatch article of January 21, 2005 (p. C1).

Helene was listed in the 1920 Census in both Los Angeles, California and Columbus. In Los Angeles, she and her widowed mother shared an apartment. In Columbus they rented part of 79 Latta Avenue. Helene's address on her 1922 marriage license application was the Lincoln Hotel, Columbus.

Charles W. Drais, Jr. was a WWI veteran. He was a real estate broker in 1922 and lived with his parents at 96 North Miami Avenue.

Helene was a Daughter of the American Revolution, a descendant of John McAllister.

About 1929 they lived at 839 Mansfield Avenue in Los Angeles, a home they owned that was valued at $35,000. Charles was still working as a real estate broker. They had a 22-year-old Philippino servant, Pedro Olgaray.

Helene died in Los Angeles on February 21, 1957. Charles died in Riverside, California on February 22, 1984.

On October 7, 1925, Edward and Helen T. Johnson purchased the house.

Edward Johnson, circa 1909
from Club Men of Columbus in Caricature
Edward Johnson was born August 26, 1855 near Birmingham, England, son of Thomas and Ann (Slater) Johnson. His family came to the US about 1863, the family settling near Niles, Ohio. Edward married Helen T. Musser about 1883. Helen was born November 2, 1857 in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, daughter of Alexander and Sarah (Murdoch) Musser. Their children were Goldie (August 1884)(Wildermuth), Charles C. (September 1886), Stanley B. (November 1892), Frances E. (June 1895), and Edward S. (April 1900).

Edward Johnson and his brother Thomas (1853-1941) came to Ohio in 1862 and formed the New Pittsburgh Coal Company in 1886. The brothers owned 35,000 acres of coal mines. In 1900 Johnson and others organized the Lorain Coal and Dock Company with controlling interests in coal mines and steamship lines. He was a director of Citizens Savings Bank and Ohio Trust Co. and the Columbus Merchandise Company. The Centennial History of Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio, Volume I, has a full biography of Johnson and a photograph.

The James C. Campbell House, 1203 East Broad Street
originally built in 1909 for Edward Johnson

Edward Johnson house, 1349 East Broad Street, circa 1919
Architect, Frank Packard
In 1900, maintained two homes, and both are listed in the Census for that year. One a farm in Franklin Township and a residence at 1240 Bryden Road. In 1910 the family lived at 1203 Broad Street, and employed three servants: a cook, Jennie Stevens, a maid, Martha Morgan and a coachman, George Ruffner.

In 1920 the family was living in their new home at 1349 East Broad Street.

In 1930 the Johnsons lived at and owned 1349 East Broad Street, valued at $50,000. They had a servant living at the rear of the property, Muriel Walker, a 29-year-old from Ohio.

Helen M. Johnson died at home on Broad Street on August 19, 1932. Edward died September 18, 1936 at 1349 of pneumonia. They are both buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

On January 17, 1927, Edward transferred the house at 1622 Richmond Avenue to his son, Charles C. Johnson

Charles Cooke Johnson was born in September 1886 in Nelsonville, Ohio, son of Edward and Helen Johnson. Charles married Margaret Fuller Jones on February 1, 1910 in Franklin County. Margaret was born June 25, 1887 in Columbus, daughter of George D. Jones. They had two children: Edward D. (1912) and Sarah Ann (1913).

In 1910 the newlyweds lived on a farm on Galloway Road in Prairie Township. In 1920, the family was renting 816 Oak Street, with a black servant, Mary F. Chapman, age 29, and her husband, Noble Chapman, a 29-year-old steel car company laborer. Charles was then Assistant General Manager of the Lorain Coal and Dock Company.

In 1930 the family lived 1260 East Broad Street which they rented for $125/month. That house was the grand former home of the Taylors who later lived at 1589 Granville Street.

Richard H. and Mary A. Shafer purchased the house on October 14, 1929. The 1930 Census says they owned the house, valued at $15,000.

Richard Hawlin Shafer was born in Findlay, Ohio November 9, 1894, son of Morgan C. and Florence (Hamlin) Shafer. He married Mary Ann Hodson in Franklin County on December 22, 1919. Mary was born in Okeana, Ohio on October 19, 1896, daughter of Clement V. and Eveline (Clark) Hodson.

At the time of their marriage, Richard was a resident of Findlay and they returned there after and lived with Richard's widowed mother. Richard was a road builder and highway contractor. In 1917 he had his own company, Richard H. Shafer Co., and was working on building the Lincoln Highway in Ohio. The Lincoln Highway was the first road across the United States. It originally ran from Times Square in New York City to San Francisco. In Ohio it more-or-less parallels the current US 30. By 1953, Richard was president of the Ohio Road Improvement, Co., and wanted to require the Ohio Turnpike Commission to take bids for asphalt construction. They originally only allowed bids for cement. Richard lost the ultimate Ohio Supreme Court case that decided that the road could bid and built using cement, without getting bids for asphalt.

In 1962, Richard and Mary Ann lived at 6720 Lee Road in Westerville. Mary Ann died in January 1964. A headline in the December 27, 1974, Columbus Dispatch says, "A will covering the estate of Richard H. Shafer, inventoried at $7.7 million, could result in establishing a 100-acre bird and animal refuge near Westerville."

On December 11, 1956 the Shafers sold the house to Charles E. and Lena Johnson.

Friday, December 16, 2011

1603 Clifton Avenue

1603 Clifton Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio 
Lot 10, Watson and Ryan's Subdivision

I can trace ownership as far back as John Scott Thomas, who was born September 4, 1859 in Georgesville, Ohio, son of Obedia and Martha Jane (Douglas) Thomas. He married Katie C. Puck in Franklin County on June 22, 1887. Katie was born in Ohio in December 1865. They had two children: Lillie M. (May 1887) and Helen I. (July 1894).

John was a carpenter, and in 1910 he was foreman of a carpentry shop. His death certificate says he was foreman of the Pennsylvania Railway tank shop.

Katie predeceased John. John died March 19, 1949 in Bexley at 226 S. Cassingham. He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Robert K. McAllister bought this house from the Thomases in April 1918. He assumed a mortgage of $610.72 from the Railroad Employes' Building & Loan Company.

Robert K. McAllister was born in Ohio about 1885. He married Emogene R. McAllister about 1922. Emogene was born about 1884 in Iowa. They had two children: Elizabeth Jean (1923) and Mary M. (1925).

Robert was a house builder with an office at 85 South High Street. He probably built the house at 1599 Clifton Avenue. In 1920 the family lived at 1603 and had a servant, Hattie Bond, listed in the Census as a 38 year-old mulatto.

On November 14, 1940, John Q. Adams, Jr. purchased the house.

John Quincy Adams, Jr. was born about 1913, son of John Q., Sr. and Martha (Geiger) Adams. He married Rose Mary, before 1944.

Columbus City Hall, circa 1950s

John Quincy Adams, Sr. was a Columbus architect whose work included the "new" City Hall. Martha died April 17, 1917 in Dayton after a miscarriage. John, Sr. was remarried in 1926 to Anne E. Runk. John, Sr. died on April 15, 1968 in Columbus.

John, Jr. was a draftsman in 1941, working for his father at their office was at the rear of 55 Lexington Avenue. He became an architect in his own right and was Chief of facilities division of the 20th U.S. Army Corps. John, Jr, and Rose moved to Hunterdon County, New Jersey about 1968. He died in New York City in 1977.

On February 26, 1944, Edith M. Krick purchased the property.

Edith Muriel Austin was born about 1879 in Ohio, daughter of William and Mary (Burt) Austin. She married Albert Henry Krick in Scioto County on August 26, 1901. Henry was born in Ohio April 18, 1877. They had two children, Austin Ritter (August 1, 1903, Portsmouth, Ohio - November 1955) and Mary Frances (Nye) (September 8, 1914 - September 5, 1996).

Between 1918 and 1930 they lived at 435 Eldridge Avenue. In 1920 Henry Albert was a railroad clerk. In 1930 he was a clerk for a furniture manufacturer. Henry died April 13, 1942 and they lived at 1531 Richmond Avenue at that time. Edith died in Columbus on August 16, 1965. She lived at 1234 Northwest Boulevard in Grandview Heights.

On December 1, 1953, James W. and Mary A. Bridges bought the house.

James W. Bridges was born November 22, 1904 in Georgia. He married Mary in about 1924. Mary was born about 1907 in Georgia. They had at least five children: twins Beatrice and Byatrice (1925), Erlene (1926), James W., Jr. (June 30, 1932), and Jerome W. (March 2, 1937).

In 1930, James and Mary rented 1343 Atcheson Street for $25/month. James owned a restaurant.

Mary died in Columbus on January 26, 1987. After Mary's death, James seems to have transferred the property to his son, Jerome (who lived in St. Louis, Missouri). James died in Columbus on September 25, 1990.

Jerome W. Bridges transferred the property to a a trust in his name in 2004. He and his third wife, Joanne were the trustees. They lived in St. Louis and sold the house from the trust on March 24, 2011.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

1580 Granville Street

Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio 
1580 Granville Street
This was another early house on the block.  According to the 1900 Census, 1580 Granville Street, was inhabited by carpenter, Albert H. Cisco, his wife and daughter.

Albert Cisco was born March 1860 in Ohio. He married Laura B. about 1877. Laura was born May 1861 in Ohio. They had a son, Lester J. (July 1885).

In the 1920 Census, Albert and Laura are renting 1066 East Long Street. Albert's occupation is house carpenter. Laura's mother, Augustus (sic) Ashton, age 88, is living with them.

The second owner of 1580 was Samuel Snider. Lots more about him and another owner, Eugene J. Litzinger can be found in another blog article.

Samuel's widow Margaret died in 1923. The next transfer was on June 25, 1925 when it was transferred to the estate of Margaret and then to their daughter Dora C. Snider.

Dora sold the house to Louise H. Kanmacher on July 1, 1925.

Louise W. Kanmacher was born in December 1861, daughter of George Kanmacher. In 1900 she was a schoolteacher, living at 296 Woodland Avenue. In the 1896 Columbus City Directory, Louise W. Kanmacher is listed as principal of the Twenty-Third Street School at the corner of Twenty-Third and Mt. Vernon Avenue.

Louise was the sister of  Hubert Kanmacher who ran the pharmacy at the SW corner of Taylor and Mt. Vernon Avenues in the late 1920s. Louise died July 28, 1937 in Franklin County.

Now there's an interesting transfer back to Dora on Apr 19, 1927. Interesting because Dora was living in Los Angeles, California at the time. I wonder why Louise sold it back to Dora? No matter, the neighbor (1576), Eugene Litzinger quickly purchased it little more than a month later on May 27.

In 1930, Dora owned an apartment building at 628 High Street. She is living there with her adopted daughter, Mary K. Snider (1921). And I wonder why Dora was in California and then returned to Columbus, at least for a short time before returning to California. She died in Los Angeles on December 9, 1962.

Following Eugene's death in April 1955, the property was transferred in January 1956 to John E. Litzinger, et al. (Eugene's children and heirs). On February 23, 1956 they sold it to the Equitable Investment Corporation.

The first African-American owners of the house, John L. and Eddie Mae Breckenridge, bought it on October 26, 1956.

Break Seen In Death Of Woman, Columbus Dispatch, January 2, 1960, "A quick solution to the death of an East Side woman found nude New Year's morning in a secluded area in western Franklin County appeared probably following identification of the woman Saturday morning. Sheriff's deputies said the woman has been identified as Mrs. Mary Ann Anthony, 18, of 1580 Granville St. Mrs. Anthony's mother, Mrs. Agnes Jenkins, of 383 N. Washington Ave., identified the body at the Franklin County Morgue. Mr. and Mrs. James Broomfield, who live at the same rooming house as the dead woman, also identified the body. Sheriff's Sgt. Clyde Mann said several persons including the woman's husband, Phillip, 23, and the Broomfields have been questioned about events preceding the death. The Broomfields too Mrs. Anthony to a New Year's Eve party and said she left the party at 4:30 a.m....The Broomfields said they did not see anyone leave with Mrs. Anthony. Sgt. Mann said other persons who attended the party at a Stevens Ave. residence are being called in for questioning. Mrs. Anthony was found dead on Deerlick Dr., a new road being prepared for a new exclusive housing development between New Rome and Hilliard. Deputies believe the woman was taken there in a car, slugged in the face and then pushed out. She was sexually attacked, evidence shows, and probably died of exposure between 4:40 and 7 a.m. Friday."

In case you were wondering, the four men responsible for the murder were quickly apprehended and all were sentenced to life in prison.

Phillip Anthony
Phillip Lawrence Anthony was born in Columbus on May 23, 1936, son of Martin Bray and Electoria (Tolliver) Anthony. He married Brenda J. McCloud (1944) on August 11, 1973 in Columbus. They divorced July 26, 1979. Phillip died in Columbus on August 10, 2002.

James David Broomfield, Jr. was born in Mississippi on March 28, 1938, his mother's maiden name was Jones. James married Mable L. about 1959. Mable moved out of state and they were divorced April 11, 1973. James married two more times before his death in Columbus on March 20, 2002.

On Mar 7, 1968 Wilfred L. Wilson bought the house and a few months later sold it to Jimmie L. Croskery on December 13, 1968.

The Neil House
41 South High Street
Wilfred "Willie" L. Wilson had been the bell captain at the Neil House hotel. He was born about 1909 and died in Columbus in August 1986. The Neil House, a Columbus landmark across the street (west) from the Statehouse and a tradition for over 140 years was demolished in 1981.

Jimmie Lee Croskery was born June 22, 1928 in Montgomery, Alabama. His mother's maiden name was Gendraw. There is a listing in the 1946, Montgomery City Directory for "Jas. L." Croskery, residing at 202 W. Scott. His occupation is helper at Montgomery Map & Blueprint.

Jimmie married Alma L. Thompson, born about 1925, on October 17, 1991 in Franklin County.

Jimmie died April 18, 1999 in Columbus and his widow Alma took deed to the property on June 1, 2000.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

1599 Clifton Avenue

1599 Clifton Avenue
Robert K. McAllister was born in Ohio about 1885. He married Emogene R. McAllister about 1922. Emogene was born about 1884 in Iowa. They had two children: Elizabeth Jean (1923) and Mary M. (1925).

The McAllisters purchased the property, Lot 11 in Watson & Ryan's Subdivision on January 15, 1919.

Robert was a house builder with an office at 85 South High Street. In 1920 the family lived at 1603 Clifton Avenue. They had a servant, Hattie Bond, listed as a 38 year-old mulatto in the Census.

It is logical to assume that Robert McAllister built this house. He sold it in December 1919 to the widow, Vivian P. Dewey for $10,000.

Vivian Peavey was born about March 13, 1890 in Waltham, Massachusetts, daughter of Simon F. and Elizabeth (Benson) Peavey. She married Joseph Fenns Dewey about 1913. Joseph was born February 6, 1888 in Sheffield, Illinois, son of B. Fenns and Eva Coyle Dewey. They had two children, Joseph F. Dewey (July 27, 1913, Chicago) and Vivian Dewey (1916). 

Joseph, Sr. died September 22, 1919 at his parents' home at 1631 Granville Street of pneumonia. His death certificate lists his occupation as "motor trucks".

On November 6, 1920, Vivian married Jonas Ferson McCune. Jonas was born May 18, 1894 in Ohio, son of Jonas M. and Evalena Gares McCune. On December 16, 1920 Vivian change the deed to the house to reflect her married name.

In 1930 the family is living at 296 North Columbia Avenue in Bexley. They have a maid, Elizabeth Dooley, age 33. Jonas is a realtor, and the home they own is valued at $60,000.

Jonas F. McCune
Jonas committed suicide on May 19, 1932 in Truro Township, "near Columbus Country Club". His death certificate states that he died of a "gunshot wound through brain" He died one day after his 38th birthday. His residence at that time was 105 Woodland Avenue.

The May 20, 1932 Columbus Dispatch front page story reads, Financial Worries Blamed for Suicide - Body of Jonas F. McCune, Realty Dealer, Found in Field Near Columbus Country Club by Searchers. - Financial worries are believed to have caused Jonas F. McCune, aged 38, of 105 Woodland avenue, prominent real estate dealer, clubman and World war veteran to end his life by shooting himself in the head, Thursday.

"McCune was found in a field near Main street and the Columbus Country club, of which he was a member, about 4 p.m. The shooting is believed to have occurred about three hours before.

Revolver is found - Joseph Dewey, stepson of McCune; Deputy Sheriff William Everett, and J. Giles Mohler, 224 Woodland avenue, who found the body, located a revolver within a short distance of where McCune lay.

"The suicide was discovered after McCune's stepdaughter, Vivian Dewey, while riding in East Main street, saw McCune's car parked in a field alongside the road. Stopping to  investigate, she found his hat, coat and ignition keys in the auto.

"Mohler, a friend of the family and vice president of the Dreher Supply Co., 59 East Goodale street, was called after the girl notified members of the family. He notified Everett. Then a search was begun for McCune.

"Note held secret - No definite motive could be ascertained by friends or members of the victim's family, but it was the consensus that financial troubles probably prompted the act.

"In McCune's pockets was found a note, complete contents of which were not made public. The note identified the bearer and gave the name of relatives who were to be notified.

"McCune left his home, Thursday morning, apparently in good spirits for a luncheon engagement with Mohler downtown.

"For the past several years he has operated his own real estate agency. Previously he was associated with Leigh Koebel in a similar line of work. He was engaged in the brokerage business for a while after the war.

"Cited for bravery - Leaving Dartmouth college, McCune enlisted in the army. As a member of the Rainbow division, he was cited for bravery and at the close of the war held a commission as first lieutenant.

"McCune was particularly fond of golf and tennis, and was a familiar figure at both the Columbus Country club and Rocky Fork Hunt and Country club. Formerly he was associated with the Columbus club.

"Besides his stepson and stepdaughter. McCune is survived by his wife, Mrs. Vivian Peavey McCune; a daughter, Elain; his mother, Mrs. Jonas M. McCune, Seneca hotel; a sister, Mrs. Dwight Howard, 1581 Hawthorne park; another sister Mrs. Claude Fries, Montclair, N.J., and a half-brother, Edmund Mills, Toledo.

"Services will be held, Saturday, at 2:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal church. Burial will be in Green Lawn cemetery by the Schoedinger Co. Relatives request the omission of flowers."

Vivian died in Columbus on May 5, 1984.

On January 5, 1926 Lorenzo Baker bought the house, assuming a mortgage of $6,500.

Lorenzo Philip Baker was born January 27, 1894 in Columbus, son of Duane H. and Laura E. Benner Baker. He married Helen Louise W. Chilcote on February 22, 1922 in Cleveland. Helen was born in Ohio about 1901, daughter of August A. and Helen E. Luckhaupt Chilcote. They had three children: Lorenzo Philip, Jr. (November 27, 1922), Duane C. (1926) and Helen L. (1928).

About 1917, Lorenzo Philip Baker lived at 193 Woodland Avenue. He was in the Ohio National Guard and served with the American Expeditionary Forces during WWI. He was honorably discharged in 1919.

In 1930, the Bakers employed a live-in nursemaid, Lucile Gansheimer, age 18.

Baker Art Gallery
SE corner of South High and East State Streets
Lorenzo Baker owned a photography studio and was the grandson of Lorenzo Marvin Baker who founded Baker's Art Gallery. Lorenzo Marvin Baker (1834-1924) "came to Columbus in 1854 and became a clerk in a store, and later at the Neil House; was an officer at the penitentiary under Governor Chase; served a short time in the army during the recent unpleasantness; went into the photograph business in 1862, and the next year established the present gallery, of which he has been the head ever since.

Baker's Art Gallery has the finest art rooms in Ohio, and it is a demonstrated fact that the work of the artists are the best produced in the United States. They were awarded the gold medal for the best specimens of photographs exhibited at the Semi-Centennial at Boston and at the World's Fair at Chicago." (Ohio American Local History Network) 

The store passed from Lorenzo Marvin to his son Duane and then to his son, Lorenzo Philip.

Lorenzo Philip died in Bermuda in late February 1947. On November 25, 1947 the house was transferred to Helen C. Baker.

1941 City Directory - Charles L. Bonifield, lawyer

Incidentally, Lorenzo Philip Baker, Jr. lived at 2292 Clifton Avenue until his death, March 21, 2005.

On May 22, 1951 the first African-American owners, Isiah and Corene C. Adams bought the house.

Isiah Adams was born about 1901 in Virginia. He married Corene C.

Corene died in August 1956 in Columbus. Isiah died in September 1986 in Westerville.

May 21, 1963 Jafus Williams, Jr. and Virginia E.

Jafus Williams, Jr. was born October 7, 1929 in Arkansas. Jafus married Virginia E. Biggers before 1963. Virginia was born March 15, 1930 in Fayette County, West Virginia, daughter of Robert T. Biggers.

A Columbus Dispatch article of March 30, 1964 is headlined, "Donald Sanderson Fullen, 44, 1599 Clifton Ave., is killed when he is thrown from a pickup truck as it strikes a tree west of Springfield on State Route 41." (p. 16A)

Jafus and Virginia were divorced on April 18, 1974 in Columbus and the house was deeded in Virginia's name only on that date.

Jafus remarried in 1976, divorced again in 1995 and died in Columbus on January 14, 2001. Virginia died in Columbus on September 1, 1989.

Monday, December 12, 2011

1562 Richmond Avenue - Moling House

1562 Richmond Avenue
Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio 
William E. Moling, circa 1915
Lots 37 and 40 of William B. Hayden's Subdivision... the large house with the strangely remodeled front and the even odder rabbit warren of additions stretching across the back of the property.

This would be another of the earlier homes in Woodland Park, built in 1901.

William R. Ramsey bought lot 40 from the original sudivider, William Hayden in 1892.

On September 24, 1900 Lizzie L. Moling bought lot 40 from William R. and Mary Ramsey of Washington, DC for $1,000. On October 2, 1900 she bought lot 37 from Bernard Kopf (Annie L.) of Washington, DC for $1,000.

William Edward Moling was born April 1, 1865 in Ohio, son of James Edward and Anna Elizabeth Parish Moling. He married Mary K. Lechner on October 6, 1887 in Franklin County. Mary was born April 18, 1863 in Carroll County, Ohio, daughter of Francis M. and Eliza Jane Sweaney Lechner.

Lizzie Moling was probably William's mother. She died May 5, 1914 at her home at 261 North Garfield Avenue of the aftereffects of an accidental scalding from hot lye water.

299 Taylor Avenue, March 2010
In 1900, Moling was a real estate dealer, a partner in Moling, Tompson & Company, and lived at 299 Taylor Avenue. In the 1901 City Directory the Moling's address is now 1562 Richmond Avenue and the real estate company he owns is now Moling Bros. (with Charles B. Moling) with offices at 85 North High Street. Moling was a lifelong real estate dealer, but was also General Manager of the De-Mo-Photo Paper Company, which seems to have been a Moling family business.

In 1930 their divorced daughter, Helen (Mrs. Basil Dennis) is living with them at 4687 Granville Road. The 1933 City Directory shows the Molings living at 51 Parkwood Avenue and William living there in 1935.

In 1940 William lived at 88-1/2 Governor's Place. At the time of William's death, he was living with his daughter Mabel (Mrs. Judson W. Lord) at 1605 Franklin Park South.

Mary died May 24, 1934 in Columbus of a diabetic coma after a fall in which she fractured her right hip. William died March 2, 1943 at the St. Clair Rest Home, 338 St. Clair Avenue. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

The Reeds bought the house from the Molings in October 1917.

Eugene A. Reed was born February 9, 1871 in Roxbury, Boston, Massachusetts, son of Eugene A. and Julia Ann (Matthews) Reed. He married Addie May Ives about 1898. Addie was born April 1, 1869 in South Harwich, Massachusetts.

Eugene was an 1892 graduate of Harvard. He attended Harvard Law until 1894 when he went to work as chief operator of the long distance station of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company at Boston.
Eugene A. Reed
circa 1914

He went on to serve as the President of the "newly formed consolidation" called Ohio Bell Telephone Company in 1921. On January 1, 1921, the Central Union and Cleveland telephone companies were merged into Ohio Bell, which the previous September had absorbed it's principal competitor, the Ohio State Telephone Company.

In 1910 the Reeds lived at 43 Parkwood Avenue (near East Broad Street, now site of East High School). Addie's mother, Mary T. Ives was living with them. Eugene was working a a superintendent of the telephone company.

In 1914, a bio of Eugene appeared in the Bell Telephone News. Reed was then general manager of the Central Union Telephone Company and it mentions that he had been in the "telephone service just twenty years this year." It also mentions that Eugene was a talented public speaker and served on the Boston City Council from 1893-95. He continued to climb the corporate ladder and in 1903 was "invited to come west and  accept the position of division superintendent for Ohio for the Central Union Telephone Company. He accepted and established his headquarters at Columbus." He left Columbus briefly in 1911 to work in Chicago, but returned in 1912 as general manager of the Central Union Telephone Company in Ohio and The Cleveland Telephone Company. He resigned the latter connection March 1st of this year to dedicate his whole time to the Central Union Company."

"During his long residence in Columbus, Mr. Reed has become thoroughly identified with the civic movements in that city. He has twice been elected president of the Athletic Club, a leading athletic and social organization and is now serving his second term."

Reed is listed in the City Directories at 43 Parkwood Avenue until 1917. Starting in 1918 he Reeds address is 1562 Richmond Avenue.

In the 1920 Census, taken on January 7, 1920, the Reeds, including mother-in-law, are living at 1562, and Eugene is a manager at the telephone company.

On January 31, 1920, Alby P. Tallmadge purchased the house from the Reeds including a mortgage of $4,240. The Reeds apparently moved to Cleveland then, as Ohio Bell had just completed a new headquarters building there.

The (Massillon) Evening Independent
November 21, 1923
Eugene died November 20, 1923 at Grant Hospital in Cleveland. He had cirrhosis of the liver and undiagnosed cancer. According to his death certificate, he was buried in Boston, though a clipping from the Massillon Evening Independent says he would be laid to rest in Columbus.

Addie's mother, Mary T. Ives died at home, 48 Wilson Avenue (an amazing home, by the way), on November 19, 1931. At that time, her daughter was living at 28 Wilson Avenue.

Addie died on November 4, 1935, at home in Columbus at 28 Wilson Avenue. She was laid to rest in Greenlawn Abbey.

Alby (Plant) Tallmadge was born January 29, 1876 in St. Louis, Missouri, daughter of George H. and Alby (Easton) Plant. She was first married to Monroe Horton in Missouri on December 27, 1898 and they lived in St. Louis. She and Monroe had two children, Alton E. (1901) and George Plant (1905). She married Trafford Brasee Tallmadge before 1917. Trafford was born in Columbus on July 28, 1880, the son of Frank B. and May (Hedges) Tallmadge. Though he did claim to be born in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, his birth record is in Columbus. His mother was born in Upper Sandusky. Trafford was an insurance man.

Trafford worked in Cleveland and Indiana as well. He married his first wife, Ethel N. Thompson in Vigo County, Indiana on December 19, 1901. Ethel was born September 9, 1883. They had one son, Trafford Wood Tallmadge, born in Cleveland on June 19, 1903 (d. March 1972). In 1907, Trafford, Sr. was Secretary-Treasurer of the Central Agency, Inc. in Indianapolis. In 1909, Tallmadge lived at 1587 East Long Street. In the 1910 Census, the family is living at 1589 Richmond Avenue and had one servant, Martha V. Brown. Trafford and Ethel were divorced sometime about 1915. In the 1920 Census, Ethel and her son are living with her sister and mother in St. Louis. Ethel died in Missouri in January 1967.

A piece in The National Underwriter from July 19, 1917 states, "Tallmadge back in Columbus - Trafford B. Tallmadge, who has been in the casualty business at St. Louis, has returned to Columbus, Ohio, where he will be associated with his father in the Frank B. Tallmadge Company, general agent of the Employers Liability and the United States Fidelity and Guaranty."

Trafford's WWI Draft Registration confirms his occupation and gives his address as 1518 Hawthorne Avenue, which was located on the current site of the Isabelle Ridgway Home. In the 1920 Census, Traford B. Tallmadge was renting 1518. They had a servant, Kate Cooper, a 59 year-old widow born in Illinois.

Alby and Trafford divorced in 1927.

54 Woodland Avenue
Trafford then married Jane A. Dicks (divorced from Bert Mauger) born July 15, 1886 and of Richwood, Ohio on June 2, 1927. In 1930 they resided at a new house in Bexley, at 2110 East Broad Street with Jane's widowed mother, Frances Dicks. Trafford was President of the Trafford Tallmadge Agency and Jane was Secretary. In 1942, Jane and Trafford lived at 54 Woodland Avenue, a property Jane D. Tallmadge owned from April 1931 until September 1949. Jane died in April 1957.

On June 20, 1927, 1562 Richmond was titled in the name of Alby P. Horton of Webster Grove, Missouri. In 1930, Alby was living in Webster Grove, Missouri and doing quite well. She owns a home valued at $45,000. The "widow" Alby and her son George, have two servants, Kate Cooper, the housekeeper and a black maid, Eugenie Renfro. George attended Princeton in 1925 and became "the" Dr. George Plant Horton, a psychologist and co-author, with Edwin Ray Guthrie, of the well known "Cats in a Puzzle Box" experiments researching learning theories. Alby died in Webster Grove on March 24, 1949 of heart disease.

Trafford died in Columbus in mid-September 1969. He was a member and past Commodore (1926) of the Buckeye Lake Yacht Club, as well as a Son of the American Revolution, a descendant of Col. Thomas Cresap.

April 15, 1946, Alby sold the property to Jeanne Baird, wife of William H. Baird. The Bairds have been hard to track down. Jeanne may have been Flora Jeanne Baird. William H. Baird may have been born June 7, 1914 and they may have later lived in New Jersey.

The Bairds sold the house on February 15, 1950 to Herbert L. White of Okolona, Chickasaw County, Mississippi. The Bairds residence on the deed was listed as Wheeling, West Virginia, but their address was noted on the deed as 1562 Richmond.

Herbert L. "Herb" White was born December 1, 1900 in Hilliard, the son of Aaron and Inez (Merchant) White. He married Margaret E. about 1962.

Inez Merchant White Goble
Herbert L. White actively purchased or exchanged a number of Columbus properties in the 1950s. On a 1952 deed, he is in Columbus. On a 1954 deed his address is listed as Central State College, Wilberforce, Ohio. A 1956 deed gives his address as 1562 Richmond.

On a 1962 deed, Herbert is listed as married (Margaret E.) and his address is Wilberforce, Greene County. In 1965 they are in Plain City, Madison County.

Herbert also owned 240-242 Taylor Avenue (a duplex wedged in on the corner of the alley between Clifton and Richmond) from 1954 to 1968.

My guess is that Herbert moved to Mississippi to work at a historically black school, Okolona College also known as Okolona Industrial School (1902-1965) and then returned to Ohio to work for Central State College in Wilberforce, another historically black school.

Herbert died at Doctors West Hospital in Franklin County on December 15, 1987. His occupation on his death certificate is financial officer of a college/university. Margaret's address in 1993 was 125 Guy Street, Plain City.

On November 12, 1980, Paul L. and Viola Greene completed the purchase of 1562 from Herbert through a land contract.

"Paul + Viola 1979" written in the cement sidewalk at the rear of the house near the garage. 
Paul L. Greene, Sr. was born December 31, 1923. He married Viola Carter. Viola was born March 19, 1925.

The IRS placed a tax lien on the property in 1984 for taxes due in 1982. This was satisfied in 1988.

They signed a land contract in October 1982 for $15,000 for Lot 34 of Levi and Hugh 1576-1578 Richmond and that was foreclosed in January 1987.

Paul died September 15, 2004 in Columbus.

The Greenes allowed 1562 to go to foreclosure and on September 11, 1992, deed was transferred to the Secretary of the Veterans Administration.

On September 22, 1993, James W. and Eunice R. Foster purchased the house.

Friday, December 9, 2011

"WHEREAS, colored people have been considering Granville Street..."

Woodland Park, Columbus, Ohio 
Many residents of Columbus signed deeds and contracts like this one commonly referred to as restrictive covenants. These were designed to keep blacks from moving into predominantly white neighborhoods.

The legality of these restrictive covenants was decided in 1948 by the U.S. Supreme Court in the the case of Shelley v. Kramer. The Court held that racially-based restrictive covenants are, on their face, valid under the Fourteenth Amendment. Private parties may voluntarily abide by the terms of a restrictive covenant but may not seek judicial enforcement of such a covenant because enforcement by the courts would constitute state action. Since such state action would necessarily be discriminatory, the enforcement of a racially-based restrictive covenant in a state court would violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The court rejected an argument that since state courts would enforce a restrictive covenant against white persons, judicial enforcement of restrictive covenants would not be a violation of the Equal Protection Clause. The court noted that the Fourteenth Amendment guaranteed individual rights, and equal protection of the law is not achieved with the imposition of inequalities.

Granville Street was no exception. Eugene and Barbara Litzinger signed this one in the June of 1927 after they bought Sam Snider's house at 1580 Granville Street. I had read about these deeds, but this one is the first one I came across in it's entirety. I represent this here for it's historical interest.

The beginning of the Litzinger's document outlines the property and the ownership, and then goes on...

     WHEREAS, colored people have been considering Granville Street between Taylor Avenue and Woodland Avenue with a view to purchasing property thereon;
     WHEREAS, the said property owners desire to prevent such destruction of value of their property;
     NOW THEREFORE, the said Eugene J. Litzinger, hereinafter called Owners, in consideration of the premises, in consideration of the sum of one dollar and other good and valuable considerations in hand paid by each of said Owners to each of the other Owners, the receipt and sufficiency of all of which considerations are hereby acknowledged by each of said Owners, and the covenants of each Owner being the consideration for the covenants of the other Owners, do hereby mutually agree and covenant as follows:
     1. Each of said Owners hereby agrees and binds himself, his heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, never to sell, lease, mortgage, pledge, give or otherwise dispose of, in any way shape or form, the property above mentioned as owned by him, or any part thereof to any colored person or persons.
     2. Each of the said Owners agrees and binds himself, his heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, including corporations and assigns in any capacity, never to rent said premises to any colored person or persons, or permit any colored person or persons to use or occupy the premises owned by him, or any part thereof, except as a servant working for the white family or persons who occupy said premises.
     3. By the term "colored person" as used in this contract is meant "colored person" in the ordinary meaning of the words and any person in whole or in part of the negro race or blood, and any person than a member of the white or Caucasian race.
    4. Each Owner hereby agrees that he will not execute or enter into any contract for the sale of the real estate owned by his, as aforesaid, without providing in said contract that the same shall be void if the purchaser is a colored person.
    5. Each Owner hereby agrees that the agreements and covenants contained in this deed and contract shall and do run with the land, and each Owner further agrees that in every deed, mortgage, lease or other instrument affecting the title to said premises executed and delivered in the future, such Owner, his heirs, executors, administrators or assigns shall make the provisions of this contract a part thereof by reference incorporated therein, and shall declare therein that the provisions of this instrument shall be a covenant running with the land, and shall require all future covenants or instruments affecting the title to said real estate to contain a clause declaring that the provisions of this deed and contract are covenants running with the land. All parties hereto agree that this deed and contract shall be recorded, that it shall be indexed in the Index of Deeds and that any contract of sale or other instrument which violates the provisions of this contract shall be void, even tho Owner entering into it, or assigns, believing they are selling to a white person and even tho such Owner was induced to make such contract through mistake or by deceit.
     6. All of the Owners for themselves, their heirs, executors administrators and assigns, agree that the ownership, occupancy or use by any colored person of any of the property above mentioned (except as a servant as above provided) constitutes and will constitute irreparable injury to the property above mentioned and to the owners of said property at the time of such sale, ownership, use or occupancy, and each owner for himself and for his successors in title to said property, agrees and consents that the Court issue a permanent injunction restraining the transfer, sale, mortgage, or disposal of said property, or of any of the said properties, in violation of the provisions of this contract, or the rental, use or occupancy of said property or any one of said properties in violation of this contract.
    7. Each of the Owners hereto hereby grants, bargains, sells and conveys to all the other owners hereto, their heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, the rights, protection and privileges mentioned in this instrument. This contract will remain in full force and affect for the term of twenty five years, beginning November 1, 1924, and fully to be completed and ended on October 31, 1949.
    8. Wherever in this instrument the Owner is alluded to in the masculine gender, it shall be held to apply to the feminine gender if such Owner be a woman, and each Owner herein binds not only himself or herself, but the covenants of this deed or contract, but also his or her heirs, executors, administrators and assigns.
     IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the said Eugene J. Litzinger and Barbara Litzinger husband and wife, have hereunto set their hands this 7 day of June A.D. 1927..."

Amazingly, it seems that this contract and deed did work to keep African-Americans from owning property on the street, at least up until the Supreme Court's decision which was only a year from the expiration of the covenant anyway. As I research I will be looking to see if any "pioneers" tried to break or were successful in breaking the covenant.

256 Parkwood Avenue - McCoy House

Robert W. McCoy
Robert McCoy first purchased the land for his prairie style, center hall home with large open porch in 1913 from the Richmond Realty Company and the house was built soon after. McCoy was later an officer of the Richmond Realty Company, and his neighbor, William Harvey Jones (1646 Richmond Avenue) was president, though at the time of McCoy's purchase in 1913, J.W. Thomas was President of the company and Carl E. Howell was Secretary.

Robert Watts McCoy was born in August 1872 in Chillicothe, son of Samuel Finley and Jane Oliver (Carson) McCoy. He married Christine L. Chapman in Maine on August 9, 1911. Christine was born March 20, 1884 in Gilead, Maine, daughter of William Chalmers and Martha B. Chapman. They had one son, Samuel Finley McCoy, II (July 13, 1913).

1919 Columbus City Directory
Robert was a lawyer, as was his father. Robert came to Columbus in 1894 where he completed his law studies in the office of Arnold & Martin. In 1900 McCoy was living with his cousin Curtis Claypoole and his clan at 1080 North High Street. McCoy was first assistant county prosecutor from 1907 to 1911. After that he joined the law firm of Webber, McCoy, Jones & Schoedinger.

McCoy is listed in the 1914 City Directory at 256 Parkwood. In the 1920 Census the family has a servant, Nellie Baker, a divorced woman, born in 1891. On August 24, 1920, McCoy purchased some adjoining property, part of Lot 2 of A.R. Creamer's Subdivision.

On September 1, 1920 the McCoys left for a month long vacation in Christine's native Maine. Robert would never return to Columbus from this vacation. Robert came down with tonsillitis. There was an operation to remove his tonsils and he soon died of pneumonia on September 24, following the operation. He is buried in Bethel, Maine.

Christine sold the Parkwood house just about four months later in March 1921. In 1930, Christine and son, Samuel are living at 464 Clinton Avenue in Brooklyn, New York, with Christine's mother, Martha, and her sister, Cecile. Christine and Samuel eventually returned to Maine. On his 1942 WWII Draft Registration it states that Samuel completed four years of college and was a lumberman. He married Geneva E. Johnston on December 1, 1964. Samuel died in West Paris, Maine on December 3, 1992.

On March 9, 1921, Lena Moerlein Born took deed to 256.

Magdalena "Lena" Moerlein Born was born April 28, 1850 in Cincinnati, daughter of Christian and Barbara (Och) Moerlein. She married Conrad Born, Jr. in 1869.

Yes, *that* Christian Moerlein.

Conrad Born, Jr.
Conrad Born, Jr. was born in Columbus on September 21, 1844. He started to work in brewing in 1860 in Cincinnati and became a partner in the firm of Born & Co., brewers, in Columbus in 1864. He was president of the Capital City Brewing Company. Conrad died November 6, 1915.

From 100 Years of Brewing (1903) "Born & Company - The plant at Columbus, Ohio, now owned and operated by Born & Company, had its origin in the small brewery founded by Conrad Born, Sr., in 1859. From six thousand to eight thousand barrels of lager beer were then manufactured annually. Mr. Born was a butcher by trade, and soon after establishing the brewery, formed a partnership with one Silbernagel. The firm was known as Born & Silbernagel up to October, 1864, when the former purchased his partner's interest and received his son, Conrad Born, into the business. The founder of the plant, now known as the Capital Brewery, died in June, 1890, and Conrad Born, the son above mentioned, is the senior member of the firm of Born & Company, the other members being C. Christian Born and C. Edward Born.

The Born Brewery
565-579 South Front Street
Kramer & Hart, Architects

"In 1889 the management installed refrigerating machinery as a substitute for natural ice, its bottling department having been established for about twenty years. Malt has been made in the plant since the founding of the brewery; present annual capacity of the malt-house is about sixty thousand bushels of malt. The annual output of lager beer is now sixty-five thousand barrels. The firm makes quite a feature of its bottling business, bottling annually about twenty-five thousand barrels of beer. Annual capacity of the brewery is one hundred thousand barrels."

The webmaster of ohiobreweriana.com follows up, "In 1904, Born & Company became part of the Hoster-Columbus Associated Breweries Co., a consolidation of Columbus breweries. The Hoster-Columbus Associated Breweries Co. continued to operate the Born & Company brewery until 1919, when statewide Prohibition went into effect in Ohio."

In 1920, Lena lived at 671 South High Street with a housekeeper, Susanna Farr (divorced, age 39) and a lodger, Susanna Freme, a stenographer. 671 South High Street is now, sadly, the address of the Grange Insurance building.

Elizabeth Born Baron
circa 1925
While the house was in Lena's name, it was occupied by Lena's granddaughter and her husband, Gerald S. and Elizabeth (Born) Baron.

Gerald Swan Baron was born about November 1, 1896 in Boston, Massachusetts, son of Charles C. and Mary L. (Swan) Baron. Gerald and Elizabeth married October 25, 1919 in Franklin County. Elizabeth was born about July 31, 1898 in Columbus, daughter of Conrad Christian and Mary (Eckhardt) Born. Gerald and Elizabeth had two children, Charles C. (1923) and Mary E. (1928).

In 1920 the Barons lived at 77 Taylor Avenue. Gerald was a clerk at the Born Company.

In the 1930 Census the house was valued at $40,000. The Barons had two African American live-in servants. Theodore Richardson was their chauffeur and his wife Daris was the family nurse.

Theodore was born in Virginia about 1901. He married Daris about 1928. Daris was born in Maryland about 1906.

Lena died August 2, 1930 at 671 South High Street after an accidental fall in which she fractured her right hip. She is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.

Sometime about 1929, Elizabeth and Gerald divorced. Elizabeth married Melville Irwin in Cleveland on October 14, 1932.

Elizabeth died in Newcastle, New Hampshire in 1977. Gerald Baron also remarried and continued to live in Columbus. He died in September 1975.

Elizabeth was Lena's heir. She sold the property to John G. Jennings of Cleveland on December 10, 1931 and he assumed an $8,000 mortgage.

Hugh Runkle
circa 1920
Hugh L. Runkle purchased the property on October 25, 1932, the mortgage still outstanding.

Hugh Letson Runkle was born October 23, 1868 in Urbana, Ohio, son of John "Oak" Oakland Alva and Anna (Letson) Runkle. He married Norine C. Craney in St,. Louis, Missouri on April 20, 1891. Norine was born about September 1870 in Illinois. She died before 1930. They had at least three children, Helen Louise (April 13, 1893), Lillie (1895) and an unnamed stillborn son born March 30, 1911.

Hugh attended Ohio Wesleyan University and Harvard University (Class of 1890). He was a Lt. Col. in the Ohio National Guard and also treasurer of the Scioto Furniture Company.

In 1900 the Runkles lived in Kenton, Hardin County, where Hugh was a bank cashier (Kenton National Bank).

Hugh appears twice in the 1920 Census. In one entry, Hugh is living in St. Petersburg, Florida, with his daughter, Lillie B. Dana (1895), his grandson, Edward Runkle Dana (born in Ohio May 20, 1919) and a 60-year-old nurse, and a housekeeper. Hugh's occupation is listed as bank president. He is also listed in Columbus at 1581 Hawthorne Place, living with his daughter Helen, his son-in-law, Lowell Dana (born in Michigan about 1898, paint company salesman), grandson Edward and a servant, Ella Van Atta.

Edward Runkle Dana
circa 1936
Lowell, Helen and Edward are also duplicated in the 1920 Census, living with Lowell's father Edward B. Dana in Muskegon, Michigan. Little Edward was counted three times in 1920 in three states! Lowell's father was the owner of a printing company and Lowell worked at the firm.

In the 1930 Census, Hugh is living at the Garden Apartments on East Broad Street. He has a black servant, Franie Harden, born in Florida about 1901.

Hugh died in Columbus on August 21, 1959.

Hugh transferred the house to his grandson, Edward R. Dana on December 2, 1940. Edward attended Columbus Academy. He died in Laguna Beach, California on October 25, 2005.

The house was sold to Mary Dittoe Cott on September 15, 1942.

Walter G. Cott, Jr.
circa 1928
Mary Cecilia (Dittoe) Cott was born December 9, 1883 in Somerset, Perry County, daughter of Frank A. and Mary (Finck) Dittoe. She married Walter Guerin Cott, Sr. in Columbus on June 20, 1906. Walter was born about November 1881, son of William H. Cott (his mother's maiden name was Sanders). They had two sons, Walter G., Jr. (November 1, 1907) and William H. (1916). Walter, Sr. was manager of a cereal company in 1920 and the family lived at 66 Cleveland Avenue.

In 1930 they were living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Walter was sales manager for General Foods Corporation.

Walter, Sr. and Mary both died in Upper Arlington, he on October 24, 1958 and she on April 22, 1965.

Dr. Arthur O. Diggs
circa 1931
The first African-American owners of the house were Dr. Arthur O. and Marguerite C. Diggs who purchased it on May 31, 1949. It was transferred to Marguerite alone on June 14, 1955.

Dr. Arthur O'Dell Diggs was born September 9, 1911 in West Virginia, son of Lewis Irvin and Martha Gee (Coles) Diggs. He married twice, having two children with each of his wives. Marguerite C. P. Diggs was born September 16, 1916.

Arthur served in the Army from 1942 to 1946. In the 1946 City Directory he is listed as living at 669 East 4th Avenue, with an office at 681 East Long Street, #200.

Arthur died January 10, 1963 in Columbus.

Marguerite sold the house on September 13, 2004.

1922-51 Sanborn Fire Insurance map
The garage is on this map, but not on the 1921 map, so it was added by the Barons in late 1921/early 1922.