|1580 Granville Street|
Brothers Joseph J. and Samuel Snider came to
Columbus from in 1892. They
started two businesses, a lumber yard and a grocery on Perry
County Taylor Avenue. They were sons of Peter
and Ellen (Deen) Snider.
Joseph J. Snider was born in January 1854 in
He married Elizabeth M. (January 1853)about 1874. They had five children, four living in 1900. Emma A. (April 1876), Frances M. (March 1880), and William A. (May 1882). Perry County
Samuel Snider was born in Perry County, Ohio on August 7, 1843. He married Margaret Reynolds in about 1865. Margaret was born in
on May 29,
1844, her mother's name was Mary Crosson. Sam and Margaret married on October 11, 1865 and had a total of seven
children; Mary (1867), twins Ellen and Catharine (1870), Dora C. (March 23,
1876), Stephen A. (March 1879) and Margaret E. (September 1881). In 1880 the
family was living in Zanesville Reading Township in Perry County.
A biography of Sam in the 1909 Centennial History if Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio, Volume 2 states, "Carefully saving his earnings, as the result of diligence and economy his capital was at length sufficient to enable him to purchase a samll sawmill and engage in business on his own account in 1867. He joined his brother in a partnership under the name Snider Brothers and they began the operation of their mill, which was located in Perry county, Later they bought three other mills, which they continued to operate until 1892 and Samuel Snider then sold out to his brother. In the previous year - 1891 - he had become associated with his brother J.J. Snider, in the establishment of a planing mill and lumberyard in Columbus, their brother William Snider aslo becoming interested in the concern, although he later traded his interest to Samuel Snider for the latter's sawmill business in Perry county.
|1891 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map|
|1895 City Directory advertisement|
"The J.J. Snider Lumber Company was incorporated in 1891 with J.J. Snider as president and Samuel Snider as treasurer. The business has had remarkable growth during the period of its existence and is still expanding along lines of substantial and gratifying development.
|1897 City Directory advertisement|
"Mr. Snider finds his chief source of rest and recreation in driving, and is very fond of good horses, alwasys having some splendid specimens of the noble steed in his stables. He belongs to the Catholic church and gives his political allegiance to the democracy. In former years he was more or less active in politics and served as a (1881) commisioner of Perry county, Ohio.
"...Mr. Snider was married to Miss Margaret Reynolds, of Springfield, Ohio, and unto them were born five children but Mary, the eldest, and Stephen A. and Margaret, the fourth and fifth members of the family are now deceased. Ellen and Catherine, twins, are both married. Mr. Snider is a delf-made man whose thrift, industry and integrity have been the strong points in a successful career. He stands as a splendid example of the chivalrous and public-spirited American citizen, conservative in his habits and of keen, discerning mind. His salient characteristics are such as are worthy of emulation and have gained for him the respect and good will of a large circle of warm friends."
Well, I found the above paragraphs of puffery after I had already constructed the timeline laid out below, so now back to the facts.
In 1891 the J.J. Snider Lumber Company was established at
Taylor Avenue where
it intersected the B & O Railroad, with a capital stock of $75,000. The
officers were: J.J. Snider, President; Charles Kircher, Secretary; Samuel
Also in that year, Joseph lived at the NE corner of
Grant Avenue and Grove Street.
Samuel still lived in Somerset, ,
as did another brother William Snider (born 1856), who was also associated with
the company. Perry County
In 1893, the brothers started Joseph J. and Samuel Snider Grocery on
one door north of the intersection of the Panhandle Railroad. At the
lumberyard, Charles Kircher was out as Secretary, and another
man, Conrad J. Litzinger was his replacement. Perry County
|1901 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, the grocery is at the lower left corner.|
Litzinger lived at
Atcheson Street, Samuel is living next door at 1293 Atcheson Street,
and Joseph was at 344 N. Grant
|1291 Atcheson Street|
Conrad died on March 27, 1897 in
James E. McNally was his successor at the lumber company. Franklin County
By 1900, Joseph and family had moved to
South Mulberry Street in .
Sam lived at
Atcheson Street. Sometime between 1900 and 1908,
Sam purchased Lot 58 from Hugh E. Smith. According to the 1900 Census there was already a house at this address, 1580 Granville Street, inhabited by a carpenter, Albert H. Cisco, his wife and daughter.
|J.J. Snider Lumber Company, 888 Taylor Avenue|
By 1910, Joseph is out of the picture. Sam, Margaret and Dora are living at 1580 Granville Street with a granddaughter, Margaret M. Miller, age 22. Margaret and Sam are listed as having seven children, three of whom were still living at the time of the Census. So between 1900 and 1910, two more of their children died.
Ida Litzinger and five of her children are living at
1589 in 1910. Hugh is off on his own. Ida
and Maud are listed as having no occupations, and Mt.
Vernon Avenue is listed as grocer. Paul is a plumbing
steamfitter, Katherine is a seamstress/dressmaker, and Mary is a saleswoman at
the grocery. Eugene
|James E. McNally|
Eugene Joseph Litzinger was born on January 21, 1884 in
Somerset, . He married
Barbara A. Holzapfel in Perry
County on May 10, 1910.
Barbara was born in Franklin
County . Eugene and Barbara had six
children, John Edgar (1912) Robert E. (1914), Paul L. (1915), William F.
(1919). Daniel Joseph, (born August 9, 1924 died at Wellston,
Ohio 1576 Granville Street on November 25,
1925 of an acute ear infection and septic meningitis) and Donald J. (1925).
Sometime between 1910 and 1920, Sam sold the lumber company to the Secretary/Treasurer, James E. McNally. McNally renamed the firm the J.E. McNally Lumber Company. In 1920, McNally lived at 1594 Greenway Avenue. The buildings that were the last of McNally's became the Millworks at 2020 Leonard Avenue.
|The J.E. McNally Lumber Company, circa 1930|
|1576 Granville Street|
|1921 Sanborn Fire Insurance map shows the new location of the grocery at the corner of Leonard and Taylor.|
|1632 Old Leonard Avenue in 2011. Formerly the Litzinger's grocery,|
now a church, God's House of Prayer.
Sam and Margaret both died of stroke. Sam died February 8, 1922 and Margaret died at home on August 24, 1923. They are buried at
|1589 Mt. Vernon Avenue, now 1589 Greenway Avenue|
In May 1924,
purchased Eugene 1567 Granville Street
from Harry L. and Lillian B. Dodds.
The Eugene Litzingers lived at
1576 Granville Street from the mid to
additionally purchased Sam Snider’s house at 1580 in May 1927 and they moved
next door. Eugene
In 1930, the Litzingers are living at 1580 and renting out 1576 for $35/month to Joseph P. Essman.
By 1945, John Litzinger had moved into
1576 Granville Street, next door to his
Barbara Litzinger died in
on February 10, 1938. Columbus died April 11,