|1618 Granville Street, March 2010|
Lot 1, Ryland's Woodland Place Addition
John Zettler Krumm purchased the property on July 25, 1905 for the New First National Bank for $1,300. He transferred it to his wife, Anna in 1907.
John Zettler Krumm, Jr. was born August 26, 1870 in Columbus, son of Frederick and Cornelia Zettler Krumm. John married Anna Regina Foley on December 12, 1906 by Rev. Washington Gladden at the First Congregational Church in Columbus. Anna was born about August 19, 1884 in Harrisburg, Ohio, daughter of Jeremiah Foley. Jeremiah Foley was a building contractor and Anna lived at 2325 East Broad Street. About 1904, her father probably built and moved to 48 Parkwood Avenue. John and Anna had two daughters, Phyllis A. (1908) and Betty Z. (1911).
John Zettler Krumm was a bookkeeper and later a stock broker. In 1920, the family lived at 1805 Franklin Park South. John died at home at 31 Jefferson Avenue on April 23, 1946 and is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.
On May 27, 1909, William H. Andrews, Jr. purchased the property from Anna R. Krumm with an outstanding mortgage of $500 dated March 8, 1909.
The house was built for Andrews and his new bride in late 1909. The house had four bedrooms and was approximately 2,500 square feet.
William Hayward Andrews, Sr. was born in September 1854 in Ohio. William married Irene E. McCormick about 1877. Irene was born about December 1858 in Ohio. They had two children Catherine E. (June 1880) and William H., Jr.
|William H. Andrews, Sr. House|
1095 North High Street, circa 1889
William Hayward Andrews, Jr. was born in Gallipolis, Ohio on September 13, 1884. William married Alice Ball in Cleveland on October 27, 1909. Alice was born in Cleveland about 1885, daughter of Webb O. and Florence I. Young Ball. They had three children, Isabel (1913), Zenas (1916), and Alice Jane (1918).
|Boot and Shoe Recorder, trade journal, July 27, 1910|
Irene was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
In the 1920 Census the Andrews lived in Cleveland and in 1930 they had moved to suburban Shaker Heights. William Jr. was then president of a shoe company. In 1942 he was working for Republic Steel Company and he and Alice lived in Cleveland Heights.
Irene died in 1942, William, Sr. may have died in 1938.
On May 15, 1915, Irene sold the house to Charlotte R. Piez.
William Piez was born in Newark, New Jersey in May 4, 1878, son of Jacob and Catherine Leibig Piez. William married Charlotte R. Webber in Cleveland on March 10, 1900. Charlotte was born in July 1874 in Chittenango, New York, daughter of Ralph and Marietta Schuyler Webber. They had a son, Karl Anton (November 11, 1902).
In 1900 the newlywed Piez were boarders at a home in Pittsburgh. William was a draftsman and attended Lehigh University.
The Princeton Alumni Weekly of 1916 mentioned a change of address for Robert P. Duncan (Class of 1905) to 1618 Granville Street, who must have been a boarder or renter. Robert was born August 27, 1883 in Columbus, son of T.J. Duncan. He was a Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney in 1915, and by 1920 was a Common Pleas Judge. He married Edna Cole Campbell in Columbus on December 16, 1914. Duncan died April 14, 1967 in Bexley.
The 1920 Census lists Charlotte and Karl at 1618, with a roomer, Helen Sawyer, a 30-year-old Nebraska native and cafeteria manager. Helen Agatha Sawyer was born December 8, 1890, daughter of Herbert B and Lina F. Sawyer. In 1930 she lived at 1550 East Broad Street and was a tea room manager. She died in California in 1981.
In 1920, the missing William Piez is living in Birmingham, Alabama, he had been there as early as 1917. On his WWI Draft Registration Card he listed Charlotte as his nearest relative and gave her address as that of the apartment he was living at. He was Southern Sales Manager for the Concrete Steel Company.
Charlotte is listed in the 1923 Columbus City Directory as a widow. By 1928, she is living in Needham, Massachusetts. William sailed back to the U.S. from Cherbourg, France in September 1929, and at that time his address was a hotel in Chicago. He died of pneumonia on November 3, 1930 at a hotel in Brussels, Belgium while on a business trip for the Link Belt Company. His wife's name and contact information on the death record is Rina Burnham Piez, Chicago, Illinois. Charlotte is listed in the 1931 Boston City Directory as a Christian Science Practitioner.
Mary White Sayre bought the house on December 4, 1923.
Harrison Monell Sayre was born May 21, 1894 in Newark, New Jersey, son of Joesph M. and Ella G. Brown Sayre. Harrison married Mary E. White on October 25, 1921 in Columbus. Mary was born in Columbus on January 1, 1897, daughter of James B. and Maude Hanna White. They had five children: Mary D. (1922), James W. (1926), twins Adelaide B. and Jean H. (1929), and Robert F.
In 1923, Harrison was a salesman for Frederick W. Freeman, a stock and bond broker. The Sayres lived at 990 Oak Street. In 1926, Harrison was President of The Educational News Company, later the American Educational Press, publisher of Weekly Reader which generations of elementary schoolchildren remember.
In a letter to the Editor of the New York Times published on November 4, 1987, Harrison's son, Robert F. Sayre, Professor of English at University of Iowa states, "Your obituary of Eleanor M. Johnson, ''My Weekly Reader Loses Its Founder'' (front page, Oct. 10), contains several fundamental errors.
My Weekly Reader was founded by my father, Harrison Sayre, with support and financial backing from Preston Davis, who was in 1928 the major owner of the American Education Press, then in Columbus, Ohio. Before 1928, the company had been publishing only Current Events and other newspapers for high school students. Harrison Sayre got the idea for a simple newsweekly for elementary-school students while on a sales trip in Indiana. When the teacher who suggested it did not want to become editor, he hired Martha Fulton, a friend of my mother's.
Martha Fulton was a brilliant writer for children and also created the ''Uncle Ben'' column, which became one of the Weekly Reader's most popular features. She began with the first issue of Sept. 21, 1928, writing the lead article about Herbert Hoover and Al Smith, ''two poor boys who made good,'' and remained editor for many years. The real credit for week-to-week direction of the paper through the years of its phenomenal early success probably belongs to her, even though Harrison Sayre was all the while managing editor. It certainly does not belong to Eleanor Johnson, as you imply.
In 1928, as you state, Miss Johnson worked for the school system in York, Pa. She did not become involved with My Weekly Reader until the third issue and then only as editor of tests on the back page. She may have ''conceived the idea'' for the paper in 1927 and discussed it with William Blakey, but her involvement was so slight that in 1930 she was still not a full-time employee when she left York to become assistant superintendent of schools in Lakewood, Ohio.
Moreover, William Blakey was not at that time president of American Education Press. He had only just come to it when the company bought a school publication he had been editing. The head of the American Education Press was Preston Davis, who after the success of the Weekly Reader, made Harrison Sayre the president."
The Sayres moved to Bexley in 1928. Harrison was the first director of The Columbus Foundation when it was founded in 1943. He directed and operated the Foundation from his Bexley home until 1968. He was President of the Ohio Adult Education Association as well as the Charles E. Merrill Company (educational publishers). Harrison died in May 1974 in Columbus.
On October 8, 1928, Montgomery L. Hart took deed to the house. Montgomery L. Hart was manager of The Chisholm-Scott Company, a cannery. In 1928 he lived in Bexley. Hart sold the house three months later, on January 10, 1929 to Russell L. Wirtz.
|Russell L. Wirtz, circa 1925|
Russell graduated from Central High School in 1908, then worked for the Toledo & Central Ohio Railroad for three years. In 1911 he established his own contracting firm and erected many Columbus buildings including the Medical Arts Building and the Fort Hayes Hotel. He was President of the Civic Investment Company.
In 1925, the Wirtz lived at 2257 East Broad Street. In 1930, they lived at 343 South Columbia Avenue in Bexley.
Russell died March 6, 1973 in Bexley.
On June 18, 1938, Robert J. Beatty purchased the house with an unspecified balance due on an original mortgage of $8,000 dated October 8, 1928.
Robert James Beatty was born about 1903 in Steubenville, Ohio, son of James Means and Florence Chandler Beatty. Robert married Helen Hartje on August 17, 1934. Helen was born about 1908 in Steubenville. They had three children, two sons and a daughter, Suzanne Cartright (August 17, 1935-September 1, 1936). Suzanne died of asphyxiation at her grandparents' house at 254 Woodland Avenue after getting her head caught in her crib.
In 1930, Robert lived with his parents at 254 Woodland Avenue and was working as an engineer in the family glass factory, Federal Glass. In 1936, the Beattys lived at 218 Parkwood Avenue. In 1941, Robert was Assistant Secretary of Federal.
From news-antique.com, "Federal Glass was established in Columbus, Ohio in 1900 by George and Robert J. Beatty, from the successful Beatty glass manufacturing family. In 1901 they advertised only tumblers, and in 1906 they were listed as manufacturers of bottles and jars... The Beatty Family had been in the glass business since 1845.
The Federal, as it was commonly referred to by people in Columbus, showed it’s wares as early as the January 1905 Glass and Pottery Exhibition in Pittsburgh. By 1914 the Federal Glass catalog included a full range of pressed glass in imitation cut glass patterns and other fashionable designs of that period (see Tom Klopp's article in The Glass Collector for pictures from this catalog) They appear to have made only clear flint glass at this time, no colored glass.
By comparing the Federal Glass catalog with U.S. Glass catalogs and other publications, Klopp concludes that some 75% of the patterns Federal produced during this period were made from molds they had acquired from other manufacturers, especially US Glass. These included "Peacock Feather", "Caledonia", and some from the "Kansas" pattern.
There were other glass manufacturers making some of the same patterns as Federal, both before and after 1914, including Kokomo Glass (which became Jenkins Glass) and the Co-operative Flint Glass Company of Beaver Falls.
In addition to pressed glass tableware, Federal Glass produced a range of glass specifically intended to be used as packaging for grocery items. One of their largest customers was A & P Grocery.
A catalog of Federal Glass packaging items from around 1913 includes salt, pepper and spice shakers, goblets, measuring jugs, and jars shaped like tumblers. Even at this early date, the company had its own mold-making department; and they were still making hand-blown and decorated tumblers.
|The scarce Federal Glass|
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. mug.
The Federal glass company was no small company and there have been many theories as to why it closed it’s doors in 1979. Some say it had just gotten too big and expanded too much for the market it was supplying. At the time of it’s closing, the company occupied 57 acres on the south side of Columbus, Ohio.
In 1946, the Beattys were living at 282 Woodland Avenue. Robert died April 28, 1951 in Columbus. Helen died in 1980.
Beatty sold the house on October 6, 1943 to Herbert Allen, Jr. and Olive Pearl (Malone) Matthews.
In the 1953 City Directory the Matthews, Herbert and Pearl, are living at 1693 Oakland Park Avenue and Herbert is a conductor on the PRR.
On October 9, 1951, James S. Waters, his wife and two daughters bought the house.
James S. Waters was born in November 1894 in Ohio, son of James E. and Abbie C. Waters. James married Bessie E. Ramsear. Bessie was born January 13, 1897 in North Carolina. They had two daughters, Dorothy Elizabeth (February 3, 1920-September 5, 1998) who married Wesley Bush Cardwell and Clara Martha (December 2, 1928-September 12, 2000) who married Cornelius Duff.
In 1923, James is working as a hotel porter and they live at 1325 Granville Street. James also worked as a chauffeur. In the 1953 City Directory, James's occupation is porter and in 1957, janitor.
On July 20, 1953, Malcom L. Miller took the deed to the home, but the Waters continued to live there.
|302 Parkwood Avenue|
Bessie died on June 1, 1966. James died in Columbus on March 9, 1981.
On August 4, 1981 Queen E. Sullivan and her three daughters purchased the property for $19,500 from the estate of James Waters.
The Sullivans lived at 1576 Granville Street and you can read more about them in the blog post on that address.
After a few transfers among the Sullivan sisters, the property was finally transferred to Charlene on August 11, 2009. The property was sold at Sheriff's Sale for delinquent taxes (a process started in 2005 on taxes due of about $1,500) on October 27, 2010 to Heartwood 88, LLC.
On September 16, 2011, William F. Dunbar, Sr. purchased the house in poor condition, boarded up with holes in the roof and began some renovation work in the Spring of 2012.
|1618 Granville Street on June 10, 2012, two days before the fire.|
|Front view (north) during the fire.|
|Height of the fire, west side of house.|