Thursday, October 18, 2012

1715 East Long Street

1715 East Long Street, October 2012
1/2 Sec 15 Twp 5 R 22 Refugee Lands

Charles and Dorothy Mendenhall
Ella Brown Gwinn bought the property June 28, 1908 from Charles Elwood and Dr. Dorothy Mabel Reed Mendenhall. The Mendenhalls were married in Columbus in 1906.

Dorothy's biography from Wikipedia, "She did her undergraduate work at Smith College and became one of the first women to graduate from Johns Hopkins Medical School. She graduated fourth in her class in 1900, she was awarded a prestigious internship at Johns Hopkins Hospital, serving under Dr. William Osler. The next year she became a Pathology fellow there under the direction of Dr. William Welch. During this period Mendenhall taught bacteriology, assisted at autopsies and undertook research on Hodgkin's disease. She made her best recognized contribution to medical science when she discovered the cell that is a primary characteristic of Hodgkin's lymphoma and effectively disproved the common belief that the disease was a form of tuberculosis. Mendenhall's findings, published in 1902, brought her international acclaim and the cell became known as the Reed cell (also called the Sternberg-Reed and Reed-Sternberg cell).

"Next she accepted the first internship in pediatrics at the Babies Hospital in New York... She left to marry Charles Mendenhall who had been hired as a member of the Physics faculty at the University of Wisconsin–Madison (UW). He became the Chairman of that department. They had four children—the first (a daughter) died one day after birth; the second (a son) died at age 1 in an accident. Another son, John "Blackjack" Mendenhall, became a renowned physician in his own right, and was also a faculty member at UW Medical school. He had first done a residency in pathology, as had his mother, but, following service in World War II, became a thoracic surgeon after he acquired tuberculosis himself. The youngest son of Dorothy Mendenhall, Thomas C. Mendenhall, was a professor of History at Yale University, and served as the sixth President of Smith College.

Dorothy Reed Mendenhall died of heart disease on July 31, 1964, at the age of 89."

Ella Brown Gwinn transferred the property to her daughter, Mary G. Dauber with two deeds, one on September 7, 1921 and another on December 9, 1924.

John J. Dauber was born in August 6, 1890 in Jackson County, Ohio, son of John H. and Josephine Marie Johnson/Johnston Dauber. He married Mary E. Guinn in Franklin County on September 8, 1920.
Mary was born September 30, 1899 in Washington Courthouse, Ohio, daughter of Othniel Edward and Ella Brown Gwinn. They had two children: John G. and Mary E. (1924)

At the time of their marriage, Mary lived at her parents' house at 1706 East Broad Street. Othniel Gwinn was President of The Gwinn Milling Company. The book Mostly True: A Memoir of Family, Food, and Baseball by Molly O'Neill (Frances Louise Gwinn's granddaughter) recounts great stories about the family.

Mary was sister to Frances Louise Gwinn Rowland who lived at 1647 Granville Street in 1924. Her husband, Warwick Rowland, later lived at 1499 Menlo Place.

In 1930 John was a wholesale jewelry salesman. John died January 30, 1931 of pneumonia at Mt. Carmel Hospital. He is buried at Greenlawn Cemetery. After the death of her husband, Mary moved to Florida.

On July 7, 1933, Thomas M. England purchased the house, assuming a mortgage of $7,250.

Thomas Marcus England was born October 14, 1876 in Chillicothe, Ohio, son of Thomas Jefferson and Lucy Miller England. He married Anna M. Hammett about 1907. Anna was born February 12, 1866 in West Virginia.

In 1900 he was with the Army Hospital Corps stationed at Columbia Barracks in Cuba. In 1910 he was  a hospital pharmacist at Fort Ward in Port Blakely, Washington. In 1930 the Englands lived in Washington, DC and in 1940 they were in Brooklyn, New York. At the time of his death, Lieutenant Colonel England was an executive officer of the Medical Branch of the Fifth Service Corps, U.S. Army. Anna had been an Army nurse.

England died at home on Long Street of coronary thrombosis on July 23, 1943. Anna died October 5, 1951 at Rest Haven home on 813 Bryden Road.They are both buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

The Ironsides Company
On August 28, 1946, Elmer G. Thompson bought the house for $14,000 from Lucille A. Justice. Lucille became a guardian for Anna on November 10, 1943. Anna had been determined to be a mentally incompetent person.

Elmer Gildersleeve Thompson was born March 27, 1904 in Brooklyn, New York, son of Henry Francis and Annie Truslow Ruland Thompson.
He married Rosamond Bowker. Rosamond was born January 15, 1905 in Pennsylvania, daughter of Horace and Adelaide K Bowker. They had twin boys born November 1, 1934; Robert Henry and James Horace. A daughter, Adelaide was born December 1, 1941

The Thompsons lived at 1720 East Long Street in 1941. Elmer was a salesman. In 1956 they lived at 280 South Parkview Avenue. Elmer was a salesman for the The Ironsides Co. (lubricants, wires, paint and oilers). In 1960 he was Vice President of Ironsides Resins, Inc.

By 1967 the Thompsons had moved to Clearwater Beach, Florida. Elmer applied to be a member of the Sons of the American Revolution in 1967.

Rosamond died January 2, 1979 in Florida. Elmer died in San Diego, California on September 28, 1984.

Dr. Nimrod Booker Allen
On November 4, 1955 the Allens bought the house from the Thompsons.

Dr. Nimrod Booker Allen was born October 12, 1886 in Girard, Alabama. He married Clara W. about 1917. Clara was born about 1893 in Georgia. The had a daughter Phoebe (1925).

A September 7, 2012 Columbus Dispatch article about Allen said, He was the..."son of a minister...studied at Wilberforce and Yale before deciding to become a social worker."

In 1917-1918 Allen was Branch Secretary of the YMCA and lived at 1598 Pembroke Avenue. In 1919 he was Executive Secretary of the YMCA. In 1923 he was Executive Secretary of the Columbus Urban League and the Allens lived at 239 Lexington Avenue. The 1930 Census says Nimrod was Social Secretary for the Urban League. The City Directory of that year says he was President and Manager of the Columbus Independent Mortgage Company. In 1929 and 1931 he is listed as Executive Secretary of the Urban League. They lived at 236 Lexington Avenue until buying the house on East Long Street.

Allen is in the City of Columbus Hall of Fame, and on that website it says, "Throughout his life, Allen played a major role in creating favorable atmosphere for better interracial understanding in Columbus and the nation.

"In 1936, he founded the Frontiers of America, Incorporated, no Frontiers, International, which at that time was the only service organization working primarily to unearth, develop and mobilize Negro leadership in the United States and South America.

"Allen was a man with vision and wisdom and had the far-sighted ability to organize the Columbus Urban League in 1917. During his thirty-three years as Executive Secretary for the League many positive changed occurred, including the virtually non-existent opportunities for Negroes in labor. He was also the first to coordinate the press, radio, television, police department and citizens to work together in the interest of promoting interracial harmony."

Clara died January 22, 1966 in Columbus. Nimrod died in 1977.

James L. Allen, administrator of Nimrod's estate, sold the house for $31,500 to Linda M. Marshall on June 21, 1983. Marshall transferred the house to Linda Davis about a month later on July 27, 1983.

Six months later on December 6, 1983, Davis transferred the house to Carol Sue and Robyn Michelle Montgomery.

No comments:

Post a Comment