Tuesday, October 9, 2012

1536 Menlo Place - Connors House

1536 Menlo Place
Parts of Lots 8 and 9 of Joel McCarty's Subdivision.

Elizabeth S. Howell purchased this property from Joel McCarty for $1,000 on January 5, 1909. W.W. McNeille witnessed the transfer.

Howell sold the property to John Connors on September 28, 1909 for $5,500.

The Connors House was designed by architects Howell and Thomas. It was built in 1910.(Columbus Dispatch, March 13, 1910, p.13)

Howell & Thomas was an architectural partnership formed by Carl Eugene Howell and James William Thomas, Sr. in Columbus, Ohio and later Cleveland, Ohio, that designed many residences for wealthy clients between 1908 and 1930. The partners were classmates at University of Pennsylvania and first established their practice in Columbus. They also designed the Broad Street Apartments, 880-886 East Broad Street.

John L. Connors, circa 1905
John Leo Anthony Connors was born March 15, 1882 in Evansville, Indiana, son of Maurice Supple and Mary Ellen Kane Connors. He married Hortense Emilie Filton on October 16, 1907 in Marion County, Indiana. Hortense was born July 3, 1882 in New Harmony, Indiana, daughter of Frank Owen and Emilie Margaret Ryberre Filton. They had three daughters: Virginia Hortense (January 16, 1909-1984), Juliet M. (1911) and Rosemary E. (1915).

In 1900 Connors father, Maurice, was General Superintendent of the Hocking Valley Railway Company and the Connors lived at 1109 Franklin Avenue in Columbus.

A paragraph in the Iron Trade Review of September 9, 1909 states that "F.E. Symons has been appointed western sales manager of the Ralston Steel Car Co., succeeding J.L. Connors, who has been transferred to the Columbus office." Connors was Sales Manager for Ralston.

The 1910 Census shows the Connors living in their new home. They have a servant, Wilde Costello, a 20-year-old West Virginia native.

In October 1915 the Connors moved to 125 Parkwood Avenue. They had a servant, Malinda Cunningham, a 20-year-old African-American from Alabama. As early as 1912 Connors sold railway and industrial supplies. The company offices were on the 8th floor of 8 East Broad Street. 

Hortense died in Winnetka, Illinois on September 14, 1922 of uterine cancer.

Connors married Genevieve Burnham about 1924. Genevieve was born October 25, 1891 in Chicago, Illinois, daughter of Edward Burnham. Genevieve was a graduate of Smith College. She died in Mansfield on July 11, 1949 and  is buried at the family mausoleum at St. Joseph's Cemetery in Columbus.

In 1929 the Connors lived at 73 Parkwood Avenue. In 1929 and 1930 John was Assistant General Manager of The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company. The 1930 Census lists their residence as the Garden Apartments on East Broad Street, though the 1930 City Directory shows them at 104 Virginia Lee Road, a home they occupied through 1935.

In 1942 the Connors lived in Mansfield, Ohio and John was associated with the Galion Iron Works and Manufacturing Company.

John's obituary from the St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1954, "John Leo Connors, retired vice president and general manager of the Galion Iron Works and Manufacturing Co., Galion, Ohio, died yesterday afternoon at his home, 8200 Boca Ciega Drive, Gulf Beaches.

"Mr. Connors would have been 72 (on) March 15. He was born in Evansville, Ind. and moved to St. Petersburg two years ago from Hartford, Conn.

"He was graduated from Purdue University in 1905 with a degree in chemical engineering. For six years he was assistant to the president of Ralston Steel Co., Columbus, Ohio, and then entered the business for himself as president of the John L. Connors, Inc.

"Later he moved to Chicago as president of the Morgan Gardner Electric Co., from 1919 to 1929 and then became associated with the Galion Iron Works and Manufacturing Co. He retired in 1950.

"Mr. Connors was a member of the University of Chicago Club and St. John's Catholic Church, St. Petersburg Beach.

"Surviving are his widow, Barbara Connors; three daughters, Mrs. Virginia Connors (William Norris) Seery, Hartford; Mrs. Juliet Connors (Joseph Egan) Ryan, Columbus, Ohio, and Sister Angela Marie, Dominican Order, Pittsburgh, and four sisters, Miss Mildred Connors, Mrs. Gertrude Drugan, Miss Martha Connors and Mrs. Agatha Murphy, all of Columbus and eight grandchildren."

John Hislop, circa 1920
The Connors sold the house on October 27, 1915 to J. H. Hislop.

John Hughes Hislop was born in Columbus on October 10, 1883, son of Herbert R. and Catherine Hughes Hislop. He married Cathrine Gertrude Crawford at Broad Street Presbyterian Church on June 17, 1916. The wedding reception was held at the Crawford home 995 East Broad Street. Cathrine was born April 30, 1893 in DuBois, Pennsylvania, daughter of Frederick Wilson and Elizabeth Dreibelbis Crawford.

Hislop was a dealer in real estate. He is listed in the 1918 City Directory as living at 1536 Menlo Place. His father Herbert is also in real estate and is living at 55 Woodland Avenue.

Hislop and his wife traveled to England and France, departing on the Adriatic on September 17, 1920. John was to settle an estate he inherited in England and then they were traveling to France for a vacation. The Adriatic was the largest and most luxurious of the "Big Four" of the White Star Line. Hislop's neighbor F. L. Hughes of 1571 Hawthorne vouched for him on his passport application.

Cathrine Hislop, circa 1920
Hislop served on the Dennison University Board of Trustees and at one time owned the Bryn Maur estate in Newark, Ohio. Cathrine's father Frederick W. Crawford was one of the original incorporators of the Ohio Fuel Gas Co.

In 1927 the Hislops are living at 411 North Parkview in Bexley, with John's father Herbert.

On March 10, 1926, Arthur M. and Mary W. Crumrine bought the house.

Arthur Milton Crumrine was born January 29, 1886 in Madison, Wisconsin, son of Arthur Irving and Frances Marie Conahan Crumrine. He married Mary S. Weinland in Columbus on November 18, 1916. Mary was born May 21, 1884 in Westerville, Ohio, daughter of Jacob A and Margaret E. Shaw Weinland. They had one son, Arthur, Jr. (1925).

On their marriage license application, Arthur's occupation is listed as newspaper writer. Crumrine is listed in the 1924 City Directory as president of The Arthur M. Crumrine Co. (advertising agents) and The Amsco Realty Company.

Mary and Arthur divorced at some time before 1940 and Mary and their son Arthur, Jr. moved to 100 West Park Avenue in Westerville. Mary was a librarian at Otterbein College. Mary died in April 1959 and is buried at Otterbein Cemetery.

Sometime after 1942, Arthur married Ann Raymer who worked as a stenographer (Diehl Office Equipment Co., 1923) and secretary. Starting in 1935 she worked and lived at the Franklin County Sanatorium as a patient helper.

Crumrine lived at 214 Oak Street in 1948. He incorporated Arthur Crumrine & Co., Inc. on December 6, 1948. In 1951 he was proprietor of F.P. Orr Company.

Crumrine died at home at 213 Oak Street of colon cancer on March 16, 1951. He is buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery.

The Crumrines lost the house due to a foreclosure judgement in the amount of $7,900.19 in favor of the Buckeye State Building and Loan Company. The property was sold on September 7, 1928 to John P. King for $8,600.00 and a Sheriff''s Deed was issued.

John P. King sold the house on April 2, 1929 to Frederick A. Schlens.

Frederick A. Schlens was born in Maryland about 1903. He married Mary C. Mary was born in Pennsylvania July 2, 1902. They had three children: Mary C. (born 1926 in West Virginia), Lee Ann (1928) and Frederick (1931).

Fred was an agent for passenger bus lines. In 1929 he worked for a company called Colonial Stages, which later became Interstate Transit, Inc. and then Colonial Atlantic-Pacific Stages (CAPS). Colonial Stages had offices at 39-41 East Rich Street in 1931. This company went out of business in the Great Depression. Fred then went to work for another bus line, Red Star Way, Inc.

In 1935 the Schlens lived in West Virginia. In 1940 they were living in Baltimore, Maryland.

Frederick and Mary died in Volusia County, Florida. Fred in April 1967 and Mary on March 8, 1970.

The Schlens sold the house back to King on April 13, 1931 and they moved to 801 Fairwood Avenue.

Dana J. Demorest, circa 1944
King sold the house on September 12, 1932 to Professor Dana J. Demorest.

Dana James Demorest was born August 24, 1882 in Marysville, Ohio, son of Louis B. Demorest.
He married Margaret Wiltsee on June 21, 1908. They had a daughter Margaret Frances (August 5, 1913).

Dana's father Louis was a school teacher and was Superintendent of Marysville City Schools for twenty-five years, from about 1900 to 1925.

Radio Digest, February 6, 1926
Demorest was graduated from OhioState University in chemical engineering in 1907. He became a chemist for the U.S. Bureau of Mines; then for the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1908 he became assistant professor of metallurgy at Ohio State University and strating in 1913 has been professor of metallurgy there. In WWI he was commanding officer, Toxic Gas Plant, Edgewood Arsenal.

Margaret died August 7, 1913, probably from complications of childbirth.

Demorest died in Columbus on June 30, 1958.

April 13, 1945 James F. and Martha M. Hunter

James Franklin Hunter was born about 1904 in Pennsylvania, son of Harry H. and Inez Hunter. He married Martha M. between 1930 and 1940. Martha was born about 1908 in Pennsylvania.

The 1940 Census for Meadville, Pennsylvania shows James and Martha living with James' mother Inez. James is working as a traveling insurance salesman. (James' father had also been an insurance salesman).

In 1946 Hunter was an insurance agent for the New Amsterdam Casualty Company.

On May 22, 1948 the Jenkins bought the house from the Hunters.

Carl G. Jenkins was born about January 2, 1888 in London, Ohio, son of William Paul and Mamie E. Brown Jenkins. He married Hazel G.Braulette in Greene County on October 8, 1914. Hazel was born about September 17, 1893 in Jamestown, Ohio, daughter or Walter and Lucy Brock Braulette. They had two sons: Carl S. (1916) and Marion B. (1919).

Jenkins graduated from Wilberforce University Commercial Department in 1908. He attended Bryant and Stratton Business College 1909-10. He was Secretary to the President of Wilberforce from 1910-1917 and Secretary starting in 1917. A 1922 biographical sketch in the 1922 Wilberforce University annual says, "Mr. Jenkins is a man of singular courage and ability; a friend, worthy to be trusted; and is well liked by all the students. He has helped many worthy students finish school, and has endeared himself into the hearts of a great number."

In 1924 the Jenkins lived at 180 North 20th Street. Carl was working as a special statistician in the Ohio Secretary of State's office. In 1930 the Jenkins lived in Wilberforce, where Carl was the business manager at the University.

Carl C. Jenkins, circa 1922
A front page story in the Indianapolis Recorder of May 19, 1934 is headlined "Students In Riot At Wilberforce -Wilberforce Scene of Riot; Trustees Arouse Students" the article reports that Carl Jenkins, business manager of state departments was appointed acting superintendent. The students said that Jenkins was ill-equipped to hold up the standards set by his predecessor, Professor Howard Gregg.

A building at Central State University is named for Jenkins. The Central State website says, "Jenkins Technology Education Building Named in memory of Carl C. Jenkins, who served as superintendent of the Combined Normal and Industrial Department, Jenkins Hall houses the Department of Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering. An earlier building constructed in 1941 was also named for Jenkins. It housed the Physical Education Department, Army ROTC, and the College Bookstore and Grill. At the time of its destruction in 1974, the original Jenkins Hall housed the audio-visual department, the campus radio station, the bookstore, and office of the CSU Federal Credit Union."

Carl S. Jenkins
An undated newspaper clipping about the Jenkins' son, Carl S. says, "First Liet. Jenkins Carl S. Jenkins, who recently spent a few days visiting his parents, Superintendent and Mrs Carl C. Jenkins here, is en route to Fort Huachuca, Ariz. for further assignment. A graduate of Wilberforce university in 1937, Lieutenant Jenkins studied at Howard university, is a graduate of Meharry Medical school, and formerly interned the Homer G Phillips hospital, St. Louis Mo. He was inducted into the Army in September, 1943, and assigned to Carlisle Barracks, Pa., where he received basic training. He was later sent to to Fort Huachuca, and on May 1, 1944, to Walter Reed Government hospital, where he received special training in tropical diseases. Mrs. Jenkins, the former Helen Mathis, is a graduate of Tennessee State college. A native of Greenville, Ky., she is accompanying her husband to Arizona."

The Jenkins returned to Columbus from Wilberforce in late 1948, purchasing this house. In 1954 the Jenkins lived at 2074 Greenway Avenue N.

On October 2, 1953 the Jenkins sold the house to the Coopers.

Earl Clifton Cooper was born December 31, 1891 in Albany, Ohio, son of James C. and Angie Flowers Cooper. Earl married Ida Mae Smith in Athens County on September 19, 1911. Ida was born February 19, 1891 in Athens, daughter of James and Julia Logan Smith. They had a daughter, Earline May (April 27, 1912-February 23, 1997).

In 1917 the Coopers lived at 1504 Harvard Avenue and Earl worked as a chauffeur for Louis P. Hoster. Hoster lived at 253 Woodland Avenue.

By 1920 the Coopers had returned to Athens where Earl was a chauffeur for a private family.

Earl won a $1.00 prize in a March 1926 contest in Popular Mechanics magazine. The listing in the May 1926 issue of the magazine says, "Earl C. Cooper, Athens, Ohio (American Technical Society)". The American Technical Society published materials for the American School of Correspondence, now ATP, which published vocational-type training materials.

An unidentified newspaper article from March 28, 1928 says, The Athens County "Music Club held their meeting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Cooper, 33 Park Place. The Music Club was for the advancement of the members' musical abilities and to study the lives of great musicians. Mrs. Earl Cooper, President."

A story from the Multicultural Genealogical Center, "A Significant Presence" states that Ida Mae was the daughter of James an Julia Qualls Smith. She graduated from Athens High School and attended Ohio University. She was the organist at Mt. Zion Baptist Church for 50 years. Her husband was Dr. Biddle's chauffeur and Ida was their cook and housekeeper. They lived at one time in the Biddle's carriage house.

29 Park Place, Athens, Ohio. Currently the home of the President of Ohio University. The house was built in 1899 for C.L. Poston, a wealthy coal mine owner and business executive. During the early 1920's the mansion became the home of Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Biddle. (Mrs. Biddle was the daughter of C.L. Poston.) 
In 1930 and 1940 the Coopers lived in Athens, Ohio where Earl was working as a chauffeur and butler and Ida was a maid for Dr. Thomas R. Biddle, a corporate official of a coal company who lived at 29 Park Place. In 1930 the Coopers lived at 33 Park Place and in 1940 they lived at 29-1/2 Park Place.

Earl and Ida both died in Athens, Ida on June 16, 1964 and Earl on October 12, 1966.

Earline married Alvin William Tolbert. Alvin was born July 5, 1909 in Ohio, son of William and Nina Tolbert. They had two daughters, Patricia (1938) and Phyllis Jean (1939).

In 1940 Earline and Alvin were living with Alvin's parents at 368 St. Clair Avenue. Alvin was listed as a decorator, working in retail flooring. In 1949 they lived at 534 Mt. Vernon Avenue and Alvin was a janitor at the State Department Building. In 1953 they still lived at 534 Mt. Vernon Avenue and in both 1953 and 1954 Alvin is working at a porter at Columbus Die Tool & Machine. The 1954 and 1957 City Directory shows their home address at 1536 Menlo Place. In 1959 they lived at 1516 Bryden Road and Alvin was employed at the same place. Alvin died August 26, 1975 in Columbus.

On November 30, 1955 the Coopers sold the house to Charles C. and Dorothy T. Wilson.

Dorothy T. Wilson was born September 30, 1927. The 1953 and 1954 City Directories shows the Wilsons living at 841 Clay Court. Charles is employed by North American Aviation.

R. Hogans,
Central High School 1954.
On September 27, 1967, Roger E. and Gloria B. Hogans bought the house.

Roger Hogans was born October 28, 1937 in Ohio, son of Samuel Hogans.

Gloria Stene Bowen Hogans was born April 26, 1933 in Mississippi  She died in Columbus on October 16, 1993. (mother's maiden Moore) She was a schoolteacher.

On July 19, 1984 the house was transferred solely to Gloria. In February 2001 the property was divided among her heirs/children: Altrece M., Terryl K., and Roderick L. Hogans.

1 comment:

  1. Hi i have gazed your website. Your website gave very interesting information. I have knew Anthony Connors birth Stories. Our Associated Insurance Agencies Inc, We take pride in providing world class protection for all of your personal, business, and financial needs. At Associated Insurance Agencies while developing a customized insurance or financial plan that is easy to understand.
    http://associated-ins.com/

    ReplyDelete